COVID Camping Adventures | Syracusefan.com

COVID Camping Adventures

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
With air travel taking a Dungey kick to the face, it sounds like a bunch of us plan to do a good amount of camping this summer. Thought it might be fun to share cool pics, campgrounds, rivers, fish, whatevaaaa. I just scooped up a vintage Winnebago, so I'll prolly share pics as we bring that baby back to life as well.

Let's see what ya got!

I'll start off with a few pics from last weekend. Was headed to the Gulkana river to catch some fish. Was looking at a midnightish arrival time, so we found a spot about 3 hours away so we could enjoy the evening a bit. Found a gravel pit road that took us back into this canyon. Was a decent trail that took you to the top of the mountain, 2nd pic. It was a super cool spot, I'll be back for sure. If anyone gets to Alaska, I'll share the mile marker with ya.

canyon.jpg
top.jpg

I'll start off with a few pics from last weekend. Was headed to the Gulkana river to catch some fish. Was looking at a midnightish arrival time, so we found a spot about 3 hours away so we could enjoy the evening a bit. Found a gravel pit road that took us back into this canyon. Was a decent trail that took you to the top of the mountain, 2nd pic. It was a super cool spot, I'll be back for sure. If anyone gets to Alaska, I'll share the mile marker with ya.

View attachment 182701View attachment 182702
Any fish pics to share?

Here's a cool pic of Summit Lake as we headed towards the river the next day. Sadly, no fish. Sonnary spent 12 hours on a raft with some of our friends, no one got a nibble. I spent 12 hours drinking beer in my hammock. Most relaxed I've been in over a year

paxon.jpg

I posted this in the other thread, but as the pretty lady was getting sick of sleeping in a tent, I had been looking at alternative camping methods, while trying not to spend all my "travel to cuse game" monies. This is what I came up with:

Camper.jpg

1980 Winnebago, on a 1979 Dodge Sportsman. I'm so in love.

Pressure washed it twice, and hand washed it once. She's starting to clean up real nice. One more hand wash, and I'll hit it with the buffer. Can't wait to see the difference.
Camper Clean.jpg

The wooden panels you see at the top in the first pic, that are missing in the second, have been painted.
Orange.jpg

Will need to replace all the wooden paneling on the walls, but might wait until next spring, or later this summer. Painting the walls white for now.
Laying the floors down as soon as the white is painted, hopefully tomorrow. Then I'll build a temporary bed so we can start rocking and rolling. I figure we need to use it a few times, figure out what our necessities are, then build storage and cabinets around that. I don't want to design something, then find out we have nowhere to put the generator, or wall tent or all that jazz.

With a jump pack and a some starter spray she fired right up after not running for 5 years. So far I have a new battery, spark plugs, air filter. Gonna need some minor engine stuff, a buddy is going to go through the carb for me. Tires had a ton of tread, but are cracked from the sun, so we'll need new shoes all around.

Right now we're mostly focused on everything behind the front seats. Once we get a decent set up, I'll pull the seats out, remove the floor and go to town up there.

With a jump pack and a some starter spray she fired right up after not running for 5 years. So far I have a new battery, spark plugs, air filter. Gonna need some minor engine stuff, a buddy is going to go through the carb for me. Tires had a ton of tread, but are cracked from the sun, so we'll need new shoes all around.

Right now we're mostly focused on everything behind the front seats. Once we get a decent set up, I'll pull the seats out, remove the floor and go to town up there.
Nice... was going to ask how the engine is. How many miles total?

Saw that on Adam's FB feed this morning as well. Was considering taking a trek there someday myself, but now I can just visit the replica and hit the Red Fox.

Man.. Half of me knew it was coming, the other half didn't want to believe it would happen. It needed to tho. Too many people go out there unprepared (like Chris) or just plain stupid. I don't know what makes people think they can cross that river while it's ripping. I always thought a simple rope bridge across the river would have been the thing to do many years ago when people starting dying. On the other hand, a rope bridge would have taken away from the "journey". I don't know.. I know the people of Healy are relieved though, and most Alaskans in general seem to be glad to see it go. I'm kinda sad though.

I'm not living the life that a young cusetroop thought he'd be living. I never thought I'd be spending my days sitting in an office, buried in paperwork. I'm not sure what I thought I'd be doing, lol I hope one day to find it tho. The bus was always a little reminder that, if I ever needed to, if I ever hit that wall, I could just stand up and go.

What a coincidence that I just picked up my own "Magic Bus". Maybe someday I'll stand up, hop in the drivers seat and head "Into the Wild".

Below are some pictures from my "well prepared" trip to the magic bus. RIP to Chris, and everyone who died trying to make the trip.

Bus 2.jpg

"Chris, our beloved son and brother, died here during his adventurous travels in search of how he could best realize God's great gift of life. With his final message 'I have had a good life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless us all' we commend his soul to the world"
- The McCandless Family 7/93

View attachment 182778
"Chris, our beloved son and brother, died here during his adventurous travels in search of how he could best realize God's great gift of life. With his final message 'I have had a good life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless us all' we commend his soul to the world"
- The McCandless Family 7/93
Into the wild is a great movie. I don’t know how similar it is to Chris’s actual life and it’s impossible to know all of what went on in the wild, but hopefully it did it justice.