COVID Camping Adventures | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

COVID Camping Adventures

I am pretending to camp by doing an overnight smoke (boston butt) in my back yard on my Kamado and drinking decent bourbon while doing it.

How does that grade out?
You do whatever you need to do. I’ve slept in a tent in my backyard before. Granted I was a kid but who cares. Life is short... drink bourbon and camp in your yard f it

View attachment 182864
[/QUOTE
Nice fish. Man... I hate catching pickerel (pike too I guess but my experience is mainly pickerel). They are sensitive I always have a tough time getting the lure out. And since I catch and release it really bums me out. They hit lures so damn hard and their mouths are nothing like that of a bass, not nearly as hearty.

Was aiming for pike as bass season wasn’t open and actually the spot I was fishing is real hot bed for pike and bass but I could see the bass on the bottom but they didn’t hit.
I actually caught 4 pike on 1 day and lost them all at the boat as I was getting the lure out and you have to be careful around their mouths one false more and it’s a trip to the hospital to get stitches. And 3 out of the 4 when they shook the lure the lure it me in the face all 3 times and luckily non of those times did the lure stick me and that lure had the 2 treble hooks on it. Each time I get a hit it’s a huge adrenaline rush.
Still aiming for my first Muskie as I want to catch it casting not trolling. But I’ve already made 10,000 cast. Lol
What lures are you using? The teeth of pickerel/pike are crazy sharp.

And before anyone complains about the pictures that are sideways, they were to large for the sever to process so I had to change their sizes. And then they turn sideways.
I had more picture and videos but they were on Snapchat, cusetroop got to see them though.
I just have a complaint about the socks and sandals combo.

I’ve been hearing very good things about that place and I love the huge deck they put in. Will have to try it at some point.
Have you tried DiPrinzos?
I have tried DiPrizios. Wood boat has it beat for pizza, imho. But DiPrinzios has the million dollar view and location

Lately just swimbaits/jerkbaits. Usually a rapala make. Also like storm and it’s either strike king or KVD not 100% sure. Tally alsways try to toss something that has some blue or purple. Got two good perch lures that have nailed me some good pike in the past as well.
I have a ton of mepps and blue foxes as well. Some top water lures as well, jitterbug hulapopper, and frogger.

What’s your go to?
Spinners and rapala floaters primarily. I only honestly fish like once a year though.

Really better pizza. Ok ok. Will make sure I get a pizza this when I get out of work at 8am.
Was also told that snug harbor restaurant has very good pizza. Don’t really believe it but might have to try it to see.

Just looked up the menu for wood boat and my god looks goooood
Start with the poppers. You’ll thank me later

Hey I love the camper reno. I did a partial gut job of a camper a few years back to replace a rotten floor. Laid down new vinyl over it, relocated some things and added some other stuff. Love these types of reno projects.

I keep an RV/camper at a campground. It's a nice escape. I also do a lot of fishing myself, went last night targeting walleye and pike and caught a limit of smallmouth on my walleye lures. Whatever works man I just like catching fish.

Hey I love the camper reno. I did a partial gut job of a camper a few years back to replace a rotten floor. Laid down new vinyl over it, relocated some things and added some other stuff. Love these types of reno projects.

I keep an RV/camper at a campground. It's a nice escape. I also do a lot of fishing myself, went last night targeting walleye and pike and caught a limit of smallmouth on my walleye lures. Whatever works man I just like catching fish.

The interior walls ended up being in worse shape than we originally thought. Should be done installing new white paneling tomorrow or Saturday afternoon, depending on how many crappy cuts I make haha. Floor goes in after that.

So, the woman I got this from is working out of state, doesn't know when she can come back due to travel restrictions. She has the title, just doesn't know where. Tags expired in 2016. I didn't think I'd be able to legally drive this thing for a while. Turns out, you can bond anything without a title. After about 2 hours of my time and just under $500, I had a title in my name. No bill of sale, no questions, just.. here's your title. I coulda stole this thing! lol

The interior walls ended up being in worse shape than we originally thought. Should be done installing new white paneling tomorrow or Saturday afternoon, depending on how many crappy cuts I make haha. Floor goes in after that.

So, the woman I got this from is working out of state, doesn't know when she can come back due to travel restrictions. She has the title, just doesn't know where. Tags expired in 2016. I didn't think I'd be able to legally drive this thing for a while. Turns out, you can bond anything without a title. After about 2 hours of my time and just under $500, I had a title in my name. No bill of sale, no questions, just.. here's your title. I coulda stole this thing! lol

That's awesome!

The walls being in worse shape, one of the fears about any rehab, discovering more and more problems once you tear into it. You end up chasing it for days. That happened to me when replacing a few floor members turns into the whole floor and I think I even ended up sandwiching in a new sill plate under a camper wall. I had to get creative for that one.

Until I started tearing into my old camper I never realized how flimsy they're actually made. The markups must be absurd. So my floor 'joists' were like 2x2 pine (no wonder they rotted) and I'm laying down 2x4 treated stuff ripped to fit. New wiring, outlets, added lights, new pex to relocate shower handles...When you're done with it, it's 100X better than when it left the factory.

I'm hitting the river tonight to fish. If I get anything I'll post some pics.

That's awesome!

The walls being in worse shape, one of the fears about any rehab, discovering more and more problems once you tear into it. You end up chasing it for days. That happened to me when replacing a few floor members turns into the whole floor and I think I even ended up sandwiching in a new sill plate under a camper wall. I had to get creative for that one.

Until I started tearing into my old camper I never realized how flimsy they're actually made. The markups must be absurd. So my floor 'joists' were like 2x2 pine (no wonder they rotted) and I'm laying down 2x4 treated stuff ripped to fit. New wiring, outlets, added lights, new pex to relocate shower handles...When you're done with it, it's 100X better than when it left the factory.

I'm hitting the river tonight to fish. If I get anything I'll post some pics.

This is one thing I'm slightly worried about. You can see the original interior in one of the earlier pics. Now that I've ripped all that out, have I compromised the integrity of the structure? The rear closet was the only thing that went floor to ceiling. Our plan once the walls and floor are in, is to build a bed behind the cockpit going wall to wall left to right. Should provide a little support, but I'm worried (I often overthink things) that I'll hit a permafrost bump and the fiberglass snaps in half lol.
Good luck fishing!

This is one thing I'm slightly worried about. You can see the original interior in one of the earlier pics. Now that I've ripped all that out, have I compromised the integrity of the structure? The rear closet was the only thing that went floor to ceiling. Our plan once the walls and floor are in, is to build a bed behind the cockpit going wall to wall left to right. Should provide a little support, but I'm worried (I often overthink things) that I'll hit a permafrost bump and the fiberglass snaps in half lol.
Good luck fishing!

Just looking at the pictures I think you're safe. I doubt any of the interior framing was structural but possible the floor to ceiling closet had some. How they framed up that roof is interesting though. What is the shell on the outside of the roof, is it hard plastic ? The brown plywood sheathing (or is it thin paneling?) you removed from it could have some structural integrity to it as it might help to hold it together and provide shear strength. Just spit balling.

That think is awesome though. I'm pretty sure you're fine.

Last edited:
We spent our holiday weekend bent over in the camper (thank goodness the AC works). Our backs are killing us, but we made some solid progress. It's not perfect, but we learned a lot and will be ready to tear everything out and start over in the Spring. The GF absolutely crushed the floor, super pumped with how it turned out. Turns out, making wall panels is hard lol. We might go a different route in the Spring, but we'll see how these hold up through the summer. Still have a few minor things, like installing the new stereo, speakers and back up cam. Oil change and new tires this week as well. We'll hopefully start building a bed today or tomorrow, clean the inside real nice to remove all the dirty hand prints, and we'll be ready to camp this weekend!
Camper.jpg

We spent our holiday weekend bent over in the camper (thank goodness the AC works). Our backs are killing us, but we made some solid progress. It's not perfect, but we learned a lot and will be ready to tear everything out and start over in the Spring. The GF absolutely crushed the floor, super pumped with how it turned out. Turns out, making wall panels is hard lol. We might go a different route in the Spring, but we'll see how these hold up through the summer. Still have a few minor things, like installing the new stereo, speakers and back up cam. Oil change and new tires this week as well. We'll hopefully start building a bed today or tomorrow, clean the inside real nice to remove all the dirty hand prints, and we'll be ready to camp this weekend!
View attachment 183474
As a former owner of 69 and 70 VW camper vans, I heartily approve.

Built the bed. It’s not finished, but this is what we ended up with Thursday night. Wanted to camp the weekend, so I hit the brakes. Going to sand more, some sort of seal or polyurethane or something. Burn the far wall too. Figuring out cabinets and counter space now
57B07269-B49D-4303-A424-1C0DE8D80329.jpeg

Last edited:
Built the bed. It’s not finished, but this is what we ended up with Thursday night. Wanted to camp the weekend, so I hit the breaks. Going to sand more, some sort of seal or polyurethane or something. Burn the far wall too. Figuring out cabinets and counter space now
View attachment 183812
How big of a refrigerator are you planning on installing? I'm assuming something from the Subzero line, at least two doors. Not sure how you plan on hooking up the water line for the ice maker though.

Have you named it yet? Shaggin Wagon, OTTOmen Empire, The Road Dome, The NOT Shirt world affiliated bus, The 44 Express, the 15,22,44 bus???
Otto's Adventure Van

Otto's AdVANture

How big of a refrigerator are you planning on installing? I'm assuming something from the Subzero line, at least two doors. Not sure how you plan on hooking up the water line for the ice maker though.

lol we're just going to rock the mini fridge that you see in the rear left corner. Having some issues tho. I bought a house battery Friday but it's not working. I tested the wires going to the batter a few weeks ago, and had 12v. I tested right before I stuck the new battery in, was getting .5v. I think when we built the bed and new case for the inverter some wires may have broke or were ripped out.
Also could have been when I tried to show my buddy that I could get the van to do a wheelie, idk. FYI, in it's current condition, this van will not do wheelies. Prolly gonna have to put the engine in the rear if wheelies turn out to be a priority.

Have you named it yet? Shaggin Wagon, OTTOmen Empire, The Road Dome, The NOT Shirt world affiliated bus, The 44 Express, the 15,22,44 bus???

She named her "Winnie", which at first I thought was too common, but it stuck and I'm starting to dig it

Took her out on the maiden voyage this past weekend. We kept it pretty close to home for the first trip, I didn't want to take many chances while I'm still checking out the motor and suspension. New tires arrive this week, and I've been a little worried about the old ones. We headed up Chena Hot Springs Road (CHSR), which starts just a few miles out of town.

We are building a removable platform between the seats for the pups so they don't both try to ride in her lap the whole way. Will also make it easy for them to move back to the bed if they want. We set up a makeshift deal for this trip, but Felix ended up finding his way into my lap and used my arm for a pillow for about 10 miles.
Camper Felix.jpg

We found a cool little spot at 38 mile CHSR. Right on the river at the end of this little dirt path. My buddy followed us up in his rat rod that was filled with firewood. Prolly the coolest log hauler in town lol.
Camper View.jpg

We got in about 7pm Friday night. A few friends rolled in throughout the night. Woke up early Saturday and drove out to the hot springs for a little soak. Pulled out Sunday about 2pm for the quick hourish drive home.

Camper Fire.jpg

was a pretty solid weekend.

"They wouldn't have put a ladder on it if they didn't want me on the roof"
Camper roof.jpg