'Cuse, Duke and my Marriage | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse, Duke and my Marriage

Nicknack

All Conference
My wife is a huge Duke fan (although didn't attend the school) but the rest of her family ALL went there. Her dad is insane when it comes to Duke. I don't really like talking basketball with him because, for a humble man, when it comes to Duke, arrogance spews out in things he often says about them.

My wife is much more even keeled about Duke and isn't obnoxious. However, we didn't talk about the game until last night and that was by accident. Her dad came over to watch the Superbowl. She asked me if we talked about the game and I told her that I certainly wasn't going to be insensitive and bring it up but was surprised that he didn't at least say something like "hey, that was a good game" before leaving. It was kind of awkward because we rarely hang out together without talking college basketball. I told my wife that he probably didn't bring it up because he is upset about the so-called fouls. I was being a bit sarcastic, however, that opened the door.

That's where I witnessed AGAIN firsthand how arrogant Duke fans are. While my wife is the farthest thing from being arrogant, her Duke mentality came out and in an ugly way. She obviously had talked with her dad and brother due to some of the things she was throwing out, like how they were basically screwed by the refs.

I told her that even her boy J Williams watched the Christmas/Hood play and said it was all ball and nothing to call. I admitted that watching it live, I thought we probably got away with one. However, after watching the slow motion, it was pretty clear that it was not a foul.

She went on and made the brilliant comment that is echoed by most Duke fans with a loss like this: "how can one team have two guys foul out and the other team without anyone in foul trouble?". That's when I knew we should stop talking because it was frustrating to me that Duke fans (and my wife) are so arrogant and near sighted. The simple explanation I told her was THAT WAS THE GAME PLAN. When one team only shoots 4 three pointers and takes virtually everything else in the paint, more calls are usually going to be called over a team that hoists 36 three pointers. Hell, they got beat in the paint 42 to 32 (stats don't lie). Additionally, our last 23 points ALL came in the paint (or line). That point is something Duke fans will not consider. Instead, they got screwed because of the Zebras. Of course, the mighty Duke team couldn't lose a game like this unless the evil basketball gods conspired against them.

I know Duke fans (outside my home) were saying the same thing. However, last night hearing it firsthand was a bit much particularly from my wife. I even brought up a couple calls that weren't called against us to point out the fact that it balances out over the course of a game. However, she had a quick rebuttal that she probably heard from one of her Duke family members. Oh well, life goes on, until the 22nd at least.

If we could win at Cameron, I think I would probably cherish that victory about as much as any other regular season win ever. To punch Duke in the face and knock them out twice in our first season of being in the ACC would be a beautiful thing because you know the Dukie fans are all getting jazzed up thinking that they will show us what happens on their home court. I remember earlier this year when my wife's dad was down playing the Carrier Dome and basically saying that it just doesn't compare to Cameron and how it won't bother Duke because they are used to big crowds (arrogance??). I told him that he might feel differently when he watches the game. However, he probably still doesn't feel any different because we all know that Duke lost the game because of the refs not due to the team wearing orange.

Okay, enough for now - thanks for letting me vent. :)

Sounds like an opportunity for some makeup s e x, so it's not all bad.

Sounds like an opportunity for some makeup s e x, so it's not all bad.

I was thinking he could get himself some 'different-style' sex with a bet on the next game...

My wife is a huge Duke fan (although didn't attend the school) but the rest of her family ALL went there. Her dad is insane when it comes to Duke. I don't really like talking basketball with him because, for a humble man, when it comes to Duke, arrogance spews out in things he often says about them.

My wife is much more even keeled about Duke and isn't obnoxious. However, we didn't talk about the game until last night and that was by accident. Her dad came over to watch the Superbowl. She asked me if we talked about the game and I told her that I certainly wasn't going to be insensitive and bring it up but was surprised that he didn't at least say something like "hey, that was a good game" before leaving. It was kind of awkward because we rarely hang out together without talking college basketball. I told my wife that he probably didn't bring it up because he is upset about the so-called fouls. I was being a bit sarcastic, however, that opened the door.

That's where I witnessed AGAIN firsthand how arrogant Duke fans are. While my wife is the farthest thing from being arrogant, her Duke mentality came out and in an ugly way. She obviously had talked with her dad and brother due to some of the things she was throwing out, like how they were basically screwed by the refs.

I told her that even her boy J Williams watched the Christmas/Hood play and said it was all ball and nothing to call. I admitted that watching it live, I thought we probably got away with one. However, after watching the slow motion, it was pretty clear that it was not a foul.

She went on and made the brilliant comment that is echoed by most Duke fans with a loss like this: "how can one team have two guys foul out and the other team without anyone in foul trouble?". That's when I knew we should stop talking because it was frustrating to me that Duke fans (and my wife) are so arrogant and near sighted. The simple explanation I told her was THAT WAS THE GAME PLAN. When one team only shoots 4 three pointers and takes virtually everything else in the paint, more calls are usually going to be called over a team that hoists 36 three pointers. Hell, they got beat in the paint 42 to 32 (stats don't lie). Additionally, our last 23 points ALL came in the paint (or line). That point is something Duke fans will not consider. Instead, they got screwed because of the Zebras. Of course, the mighty Duke team couldn't lose a game like this unless the evil basketball gods conspired against them.

I know Duke fans (outside my home) were saying the same thing. However, last night hearing it firsthand was a bit much particularly from my wife. I even brought up a couple calls that weren't called against us to point out the fact that it balances out over the course of a game. However, she had a quick rebuttal that she probably heard from one of her Duke family members. Oh well, life goes on, until the 22nd at least.

If we could win at Cameron, I think I would probably cherish that victory about as much as any other regular season win ever. To punch Duke in the face and knock them out twice in our first season of being in the ACC would be a beautiful thing because you know the Dukie fans are all getting jazzed up thinking that they will show us what happens on their home court. I remember earlier this year when my wife's dad was down playing the Carrier Dome and basically saying that it just doesn't compare to Cameron and how it won't bother Duke because they are used to big crowds (arrogance??). I told him that he might feel differently when he watches the game. However, he probably still doesn't feel any different because we all know that Duke lost the game because of the refs not due to the team wearing orange.

Okay, enough for now - thanks for letting me vent. :)
You should kick the shunt out of your father in law. You're well within your rights to do so.

No offense intended, but your wife and father in law don't watch much basketball...or at least know too much about the game.

If I'm Duke and I shoot 36 3 pointers, which is 1/2 of my 72 overall shots, I'm not going to get a lot of foul calls, because it's rare that a shooter is fouled on a 3 point attempt.

alternatively, Cuse shot 50 of their 54 FG attempts from 2, and the MAJORITY of them were in the paint. Of course we're going to get fouled more, we took far and away more FG attempts that are more likely to result in fouls.

I swear, Duke fans are insane. It's basketball 101, people!

Last edited:
[quote="Nicknack, post: 921540, member: 1003"

That's where I witnessed AGAIN firsthand how arrogant Duke fans are...

If we could win at Cameron, I think I would probably cherish that victory about as much as any other regular season win ever. [/quote]
Go over and read some of the garbage spewed on their board. Quite a few are predicting a blowout at Cameron.

I'm not sure Duke can play any better than they did on Saturday. To their credit, they hit some ridiculous 3-pointers under pressure. As a coach, I'm not so sure I'd want to depend on the repeatability of sinking that many threes against our defense a second time.

I'd love to go in there and shut them down, if for no other reason than to watch their egg headed student's blue make-up stream down their faces in tears.

[quote="Nicknack, post: 921540, member: 1003"

That's where I witnessed AGAIN firsthand how arrogant Duke fans are...

If we could win at Cameron, I think I would probably cherish that victory about as much as any other regular season win ever.
Go over and read some of the garbage spewed on their board. Quite a few are predicting a blowout at Cameron.

I'm not sure Duke can play any better than they did on Saturday. To their credit, they hit some ridiculous 3-pointers under pressure. As a coach, I'm not so sure I'd want to depend on the repeatability of sinking that many threes against our defense a second time.

I'd love to go in there and shut them down, if for no other reason than to watch their egg headed student's blue make-up stream down their faces in tears.[/quote]

Both teams will make adjustments for sure. They will probably defend the paint more and I am sure we will make a conceded effort to take away some open looks that they had.

I'm 2-0 this morning at work. The Duke fan coworker said clean block as did my boss who has affiliations with 3 ACC schools, none of which are Cuse, Duke, or UNC.

My other Duke fan coworker text me during the game livid that it wasn't called though. I even forwarded him the slo mo clip from here and he still wouldn't except the non call.

My wife is a huge Duke fan

Your problem is in your first sentence. My wife grew up in Indiana and was an Indiana fan. I have been married for 24 1/2 years and if I had any reason at all to think back then she wasn't going to convert to a Syracuse fan, I wouldn't have married her. And I would tell her that to her face.

I didn't insist on it, but my mother-in-law converted as well.

I'm 2-0 this morning at work. The Duke fan coworker said clean block as did my boss who has affiliations with 3 ACC schools, none of which are Cuse, Duke, or UNC.

My other Duke fan coworker text me during the game livid that it wasn't called though. I even forwarded him the slo mo clip from here and he still wouldn't except the non call.
Ignore him entirely as a human being.

Ignore him entirely as a human being.

Nah he's good people. He accepted the loss and didnt dwell on that and has been to Cuse football games cheering on the Orange with me. Not a complete lost cause.

I know a good divorce lawyer, now that Cuse is in the ACC seems like you easily have grounds for divorce based on irreconcilable differences.

Nah he's good people. He accepted the loss and didnt dwell on that and has been to Cuse football games cheering on the Orange with me. Not a complete lost cause.
I was too that niave when I was as young as you... can't trust a duke.

I have an email Duke chat group with 7 good, smart Duke fans (my hubby is from Duke). We have been talking together all season. To a man, woman and child(?) they feel the refs gave us the ball game. When I stated the obvious, that we took it inside more, so of course they would get more fouls, they thought I was a simpleton. They love me and I love them, but that is definitely their mind set. The game at Cameron should be intense.

On a marital note, my husband blew my mind when he said he wasn't interested in watching the Duke/SU game. I was left wondering if my husband was a man or a fish? It really fried me. When I came home from the game, I found out he watched every single minute and didn't even eat supper because "there was no time!" So, he doesn't know this, but I have forgiven him.

I was too that niave when I was as young as you... can't trust a duke.

He's got good reasons. He's a Duke hoops fan and Michigan football fan. I called him out on it immediately when he started working here and his story checked out.

His mom is mike krysgxughfjyski and his dad is Brady Hoke?
He's got good reasons. He's a Duke hoops fan and Michigan football fan. I called him out on it immediately when he started working here and his story checked out.

I think you should give your FIL a collectible We're Number #1 SU T-shirt as a consolation gift.

The next battle is who your kids are going to root for.

Last edited:
Your story doesn't surprise me at all--arrogant Duke fans throwing temper tantrums when every advantageous thing doesn't go their way, like it usually does, is about what I'd expect from that fanbase.

His mom is mike krysgxughfjyski and his dad is Brady Hoke?

His step mom's family is all UNC fans. As a step kid he was slighted a few too many times vs his half brother who was their blood relative. Dad asked him which team shirt he wanted because his brother was getting one so he asked "who UNC's rival was" and the rest was history. Fanhood started out of spite, i'm sure you'll appreciate that. I forget the reason for the UM affiliation but we both grew up in Ped State country, and like me, he bucked that status quo for a better option.

His step mom's family is all UNC fans. As a step kid he was slighted a few too many times vs his half brother who was their blood relative. Dad asked him which team shirt he wanted because his brother was getting one so he asked "who UNC's rival was" and the rest was history. Fanhood started out of spite, i'm sure you'll appreciate that. I forget the reason for the UM affiliation but we both grew up in Ped State country, and like me, he bucked that status quo for a better option.
I actually do like that story. Brothers don't shake hands.. brothers root for rivals.

UM is bullox

OK, so every game we play is a home game and every game we win is gonna be blamed on bad ref'ing.

I got it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom