Cuse opens as 9 point dogs at Clempson. | Syracusefan.com

Cuse opens as 9 point dogs at Clempson.

For any of you choosing to put your money where your piehole is, let me share this little nugget. It may helpful with your efforts.

The margin of this game will be under 5 points with 2:47 remaining. I can't divulge anything more. Do what you wish with this guarantee.

Sprinkling the moneyline and if we lose I’m sprinkling our ACC tournament future

That's surprising. Vegas doesn't always get things right (just a reminder to some). Not that the guys need much motivation, but I'd put that sh$t in the locker room before the game and remind the guys of that disrespect.

And I see it is -9.5 this morning. Is it just me, or does this seem higher than it should be? The records are nearly identical and we have been playing much better since the Wake debacle (particularly the flow and balance of the offense). I would think it should be Clemson -5.5 or -6 (at most) to reflect the home court with a slight edge on top of that. If you look at a meaningful metric like RPI, there is not that much of a disparity (Clemson 24, Syracuse 34). As many have discussed on other threads, the NET has too many flaws because of that margin of victory component (just look at that aforementioned Wake game -- we quit -- that should have been no more than a 10-12 pt loss at most--and we could play them again and beat them).

And I see it is -9.5 this morning. Is it just me, or does this seem higher than it should be? The records are nearly identical and we have been playing much better since the Wake debacle (particularly the flow and balance of the offense). I would think it should be Clemson -5.5 or -6 (at most) to reflect the home court with a slight edge on top of that. If you look at a meaningful metric like RPI, there is not that much of a disparity (Clemson 24, Syracuse 34). As many have discussed on other threads, the NET has too many flaws because of that margin of victory component (just look at that aforementioned Wake game -- we quit -- that should have been no more than a 10-12 pt loss at most--and we could play them again and beat them).
It’s right in line with what KenPom projects normally. RPI has zero to do with spreads. Efficiency metrics can predict them for you.

Records really have nothing to do with it. They have beat better teams and lost by less points. Clemson’s last 5 losses are by a combined 13 points. Our last 5 losses are by a combined 64 points.

They’ve defeated 5 at large teams and we have beat one. They have been a lot better than us all season.

Clemson is still a very good offense. They've been a pretty consistent team all season as far as the offense and defensive efficiency goes. They've ticked down a bit on offense and defense, but not too much - only slightly. They lost to ND, but they stomped on GTech on the road.

7-7-1 against the spread as a home favorite. Against ND, they missed a ton of threes (5-28!) which sunk them. They've only had two other games this season where they shot that poorly. Syracuse could have their hands full.

All I want is a close game and for the team to not get blown out. A close loss plus a good showing in the ACCT can still get a bubble bid possibly if a bunch of other teams help out.

Clemson is still a very good offense. They've been a pretty consistent team all season as far as the offense and defensive efficiency goes. They've ticked down a bit on offense and defense, but not too much - only slightly. They lost to ND, but they stomped on GTech on the road.
Notre Dame has won 5 out of 6. The one was us. I'm not sure we win either though if we have to play them in South Bend. That's a team playing as good as anyone in the ACC right now.

It’s right in line with what KenPom projects normally. RPI has zero to do with spreads. Efficiency metrics can predict them for you.

Records really have nothing to do with it. They have beat better teams and lost by less points. Clemson’s last 5 losses are by a combined 13 points. Our last 5 losses are by a combined 64 points.

They’ve defeated 5 at large teams and we have beat one. They have been a lot better than us all season.
But this is what you are not factoring in -- it is meaningless to look at the last 5 losses for us. This is a completely different team since Benny was kicked off the team. They are gelling now with great chemistry and playing their best basketball of the season -- in the last month their loses only total 14, as there were only two of them. To use loses from January to analyse a March point spread is silly -- different team.

But this is what you are not factoring in -- it is meaningless to look at the last 5 losses for us. This is a completely different team since Benny was kicked off the team. They are gelling now with great chemistry and playing their best basketball of the season -- in the last month their loses only total 14, as there were only two of them. To use loses from January to analyse a March point spread is silly -- different team.
Since Benny was kicked off the team both Clemson and Syracuse are 6-2 with Clemson winning by 9 points in the dome, beating UNC at UNC, and beat Georgia Tech by 24 at GT who we lost to.

one thing i've learned . vegas ain't stoopid . there's a method to their madness. and that method is $$$.
The method to their madness is you have to be right 58% of the time to break even

Not sure too many people will disagree with your line of thinking, but we probably still need to win tonight. Otherwise, a lot of work to do next week.

Not sure too many people will disagree with your line of thinking, but we probably still need to win tonight. Otherwise, a lot of work to do next week.
Not going to deny we are playing better and I am satisfied with the season, but outside of UNC we have 2 close-ish wins against the worst team in the conference, a close win against an 11-17 Notre Dame team, and 2 other wins against teams that are very mediocre(VT/NCST). While we have won games you can see why we really haven't moved the needle.

At the start of the season I thought Clemson would be better than they have been and we would be a touch worse. None of that means anything tonight - we have not been good on the road against good teams. I would be scared that another road beat down may be at hand. Hoping big time that I am wrong.

a ton of question marks to gauge with that line. Will Clemson play their A game after the ND loss? Will we play hair on fire and for our tourny lives? I see a bunch of twitter folks calling this game a lock for SU to at least cover... not sure what to think lol, so I am staying far away from this one.

Not going to deny we are playing better and I am satisfied with the season, but outside of UNC we have 2 close-ish wins against the worst team in the conference, a close win against an 11-17 Notre Dame team, and 2 other wins against teams that are very mediocre(VT/NCST). While we have won games you can see why we really haven't moved the needle.

We beat Pitt @ Pitt and @ the dome... that counts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom