Cuse We Can | Syracusefan.com

Cuse We Can

Ozone!

Graphics Wizard
I have been reading this board and wondering where all the poor us comments are coming from:
Yes, we live in a challenging climate!
Yes, at times the university administration has not appreciated the Cuse fans; thank you, former Chancellor Shaw!
We would like to be a mighty player in whatever league we are associated with!
We want our recruits to be considered top-level, in all sports; especially the revenue sports of basketball, football, and lacrosse (despite its non-revenue status!
To get to where we want to be; we need s community effort from all the stakeholders in Orange Athletics.

The reality is, we are competing with the primarily large land grant universities whose funding will most always exceed ours.
In addition, there are schools that are primary competitors for the student-athletes we covet who have less challenging entry requirements. Some of our competitors are located in places where they have a naturally fertile recruiting advantage over us (specifically, in football).

Yes, all true and yet we have two basic choices:
Give up and expect to be also-rans in the ACC of
We can recognize that we are Syracuse and we need to do things differently to be where we wish to be.
I am not talking about breaking NCAA rules; I am talking about creating strategies that will work for us.

This site can be a place for that to occur; let's quit crying about what we are not and focus on what we can be.

We are Syracuse and
Cusewecan57496140074034156.jpg

Actually, IMO, if we got organized on this site we could do numerous things that would be within NCAA rules and would support our coaches, players and even organizing fan behavior, for games, that would enhance the effect of the Loud House on opponents.

If the board pitches in to buy me tickets I will stand the whole game and cheer.
I can second that. Buy my ticket and I'll go and cheer all day long.

Syracuse University should pay the money and get a couple of top recruiters for football and basketball...for a change.

They had one in Hopkins and fumbled that away.

Like whom? What top recruiters should we go out and get?

Hopkins left for another job. Can’t blame him.

I do think the board could do some more ticket organizing for kids and families to go to game for all sports. not just football/MBB&WBB/Lacrosse.

I think the advantage large land-grant universities have is more on the football side where you have to have dazzling facilities to entice 85 scholarship players to come here. the beauty of basketball is that almost anybody can have a good team because there are at most 13 scholarships required and only 7-8 players play regularly for most teams. SU can afford to excel in this sport and the Northeast has plenty of prime basketball recruiting spots as well.

I think the two probations have prevented us from being on the Duke/UNC/Kentucky?Kansas level. The investigation creates questions. the probations create limitations and the aftermath is that you recruit on eggshell,s not wanting to get in trouble again for years afterwards. Without them the talent level we had in the late 80's and early 2010's could have continued.

Football is very different story. Competing with southern state schools is very difficult when most of the talent is down there. Competitively, we were better off in a conference based in the northeast. Financially we're better off in the ACC but so is everybody else so it's not really an advantage over our conference rivals. We're capable of having a year like last year when we have veteran or exceptional players in key positions but we'll never be a Clemson or a Florida State.

From a fan perspective, there are many organizational things that can be done.

If possible, take a trip to one of our ACC opponents games. Any that I've been to have some type of structured or rehearsed fan involvement. UNC has the most elaborate production I've seen.

SU had some of that years back with buttons, balloons, cheers, etc.

Some will say that has nothing to do with recruiting, but if you saw the before game show at UNC, don't tell me it wouldn't excite a recruit on an official visit.

The school has to support these activities, but the fans, students or ticket holders, can push for involvement to give the team and the program a lift.

We have also been killed this year by the racist/anti-Semitic crap that gone on, causing the students to boycott the games. Don’t know if that will still be the case when they come back. In addition, the team has been disappointing, making it easier for the students to not show up.

Let’s see if the town will show up tonight for the game. Terribly, I can’t go but I have made sure someone will be sitting in my seat.

I have been reading this board and wondering where all the poor us comments are coming from:
Yes, we live in a challenging climate!
Yes, at times the university administration has not appreciated the Cuse fans; thank you, former Chancellor Shaw!
We would like to be a mighty player in whatever league we are associated with!
We want our recruits to be considered top-level, in all sports; especially the revenue sports of basketball, football, and lacrosse (despite its non-revenue status!
To get to where we want to be; we need s community effort from all the stakeholders in Orange Athletics.

The reality is, we are competing with the primarily large land grant universities whose funding will most always exceed ours.
In addition, there are schools that are primary competitors for the student-athletes we covet who have less challenging entry requirements. Some of our competitors are located in places where they have a naturally fertile recruiting advantage over us (specifically, in football).

Yes, all true and yet we have two basic choices:
Give up and expect to be also-rans in the ACC of
We can recognize that we are Syracuse and we need to do things differently to be where we wish to be.
I am not talking about breaking NCAA rules; I am talking about creating strategies that will work for us.

This site can be a place for that to occur; let's quit crying about what we are not and focus on what we can be.

We are Syracuse and View attachment 174318
Name the last quality player that didn't get into SU due to grades. That's a laugh.
Also, other than Louisville, all ACC schools are ranked in US News top 80. SU, a robust 66, middling for the ACC.

Name the last quality player that didn't get into SU due to grades. That's a laugh.
Also, other than Louisville, all ACC schools are ranked in US News top 80. SU, a robust 66, middling for the ACC.
And how is Louisville doing in the league, in sports? There are also quality players we can't recruit and our competition (not just ACC schools) who can and will take partial qualifiers which we don't. say it's the only reason for our recruiting problems, btw.

I believe Walton was a non-qualifier.

Was he an SU non-qualifier or an NCAA non-qualifier? I don't think it was our high standards that keep him from playing at SU.

I take US News rankings with a large grain of salt. More and more schools are opting out. also. Unfortunately, their system is still considered a benchmark by most.

Was he an SU non-qualifier or an NCAA non-qualifier? I don't think it was our high standards that keep him from playing at SU.

Would other schools have kept Michael Lloyd or Fab Melo eligible? And what exactly are UNC's academic standards?

If you recall, UNC had a course where all the enrolled student-athletes received good grades. Yet when The NCAA looked into it; no problem. The NCAA is all about money and power and doesn't care one bit about student-athlete welfare. HCJB has spoken out and that is what earned us the lengthy investigation and unrealistic penalties!

I take US News rankings with a large grain of salt. More and more schools are opting out. also. Unfortunately, their system is still considered a benchmark by most.

You are right to take USNews rankings with a grain of salt, but what colleges are opting out of is requiring applicants to submit standardized test scores, not opting out of being ranked by USNews, Forbes, Niche, etc.

You are right to take USNews rankings with a grain of salt, but what colleges are opting out of is requiring applicants to submit standardized test scores, not opting out of being ranked by USNews, Forbes, Niche, etc.
I think some among Williams, Wesleyan, Amherst are no longer participating.

we should sue the NCAA over the last sanctions. Get our wins back and maybe a few other things. Especially now that another school has been caught with payment to players and essentially received a slap on the wrist, and it was a lot of money the players were paid. Both ours and theirs was self reported.

The purpose, of my original post, was to look at creative ways in which the site and Orange fans might help to foster Syracuse sports and not just complain when things don't go as we wish they would. If you have a good idea, please share it; if you want to provide a funny retort for your own amusement; please take it elsewhere!
I believe Syracusefan does loads to promote a lively discussion on Orange sports; all I am saying is; let's have a discussion on what we, as fans, can do to improve the quality of Syracuse sports without bashing anyone or their ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom