Daivon Ellison transferring to Duquesne | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Daivon Ellison transferring to Duquesne

You make realky good points, and that may be exactly the way this unfolded for this staff. I do respect Marrone’s approach. He was honest too, but he was honest straight away. He was willing to suffer the consequences if he made the mistake early. I’m not saying Marone’s approach was better. It was just different, and I respect that approach for a number of reasons.
But you imply DB wasn't honest early. I think he was. It's just that roles have changed as the roster has evolved. If we don't recruit better players, he's a three year starter.

But you imply DB wasn't honest early. I think he was. It's just that roles have changed as the roster has evolved. If we don't recruit better players, he's a three year starter.
I meant to add that we don’t know what happened. So maybe DB told these kids early that down the road it was likely that he would recruit players who would be a better fit and who would therefore likely move ahead in the depth chart even though they would be younger and less experienced. It is entirely possible that DB and his staff were clear about that early. So, I do not want to judge. On the flip side it is pretty clear that Marrone made these kinds of statements right out of the gate, and I respect that.

You make realky good points, and that may be exactly the way this unfolded for this staff. I do respect Marrone’s approach. He was honest too, but he was honest straight away. He was willing to suffer the consequences if he made the mistake early. I’m not saying Marone’s approach was better. It was just different, and I respect that approach for a number of reasons.
The roster Marrone inherited had significantly less talent on it than the roster Babers took over. Imo, that's why he had to purge upfront in the beginning rather than sequentially like HCDB is doing.

I'll always remember the player that walked into the Shoppingtown Barbershop and was mistaken for a punter rather than a LB (which he was) because he was so small. Many of the players Marrone purged were border line D1 prospects that couldn't compete in the Big East let alone the ACC.

I meant to add that we don’t know what happened. So maybe DB told these kids early that down the road it was likely that he would recruit players ... who would therefore likely move ahead in the depth chart even though they would be younger and less experienced. ...

No player on the roster needs to be told that. It is obvious. Whenever a losing team replaces a head coach, the new coach will work his tail off to recruit better prospects. The players can see this happening. They practice and train with the red-shirts. They certainly read about the new recruits who play their position.

The roster Marrone inherited had significantly less talent on it than the roster Babers took over. Imo, that's why he had to purge upfront in the beginning rather than sequentially like HCDB is doing.

I'll always remember the player that walked into the Shoppingtown Barbershop and was mistaken for a punter rather than a LB (which he was) because he was so small. Many of the players Marrone purged were border line D1 prospects that couldn't compete in the Big East let alone the ACC.
I agree. And Marrone was upfront. Even in that situation back in early 2009, as a fan and an alumnus I had mixed feelings because I support each kid who chooses to commit to SU. But overall I respected Maronne for being honest and upfront straight away.

Last edited:
I'm used to it happening with guys who haven't played because they were beaten out. But I agree with your post above that he played because of an injury and was then beaten out and that's a good sign. The thing is, I still think as an experienced player, he would provide good depth. However that may not be fair to him if he wants to start somewhere.

An experienced player that is not ACC caliber is most definitely not as good as an inexperienced player who is ACC caliber.

One will grow up and become an adequate to good starter against conference opponents. The other will not.

Would much rather be young and talented than old and terrible.

Also, in terms of numbers -- we have room for 23 freshmen based on the number of kids that are expected to come back. Even if two more decide they want to transfer, we'll still be at max capacity in terms of scholarships if the coaching staff signs the full 25-person class.

And even if one or two more leave to put us at 26-27 openings, the new rule states graduate transfers do not count against the 25-person class limit. Therefore, I would expect us to be at or very close (within 1-3) to the 85 scholarship max allotted to us.

Pound for pound the biggest DB hitter I have ever seen in the Orange and Blue.

He gave it everything he had - especially during the 2016 season.

Really? Cordy seemed to have that description.

Reactions: CIL
No.

Cordy is the better player with tackling skills and better speed. They both lack in coverage, hence the love. Nice landing spot for DE. Best of luck DE.

Not at all a knock on Daivon...thankful for his time in Orange & best of luck...but I legitimately didn't know Duquesne had a football program until now. Whenever I hear them mentioned in hoops, I immediately think of Andy Dufresne.

Not at all a knock on Daivon...thankful for his time in Orange & best of luck...but I legitimately didn't know Duquesne had a football program until now. Whenever I hear them mentioned in hoops, I immediately think of Andy Dufresne.
It's small. My cousin's dorm overlooked the football field. I went to visit one time and literally watched part of the game from the window of the room.

Good spot for him. Good school and a place where he’ll play a lot.

It's small. My cousin's dorm overlooked the football field. I went to visit one time and literally watched part of the game from the window of the room.

I've done that at SU. Of course the stadium didn't have a roof at the time.

Best of luck to Daivon -- fierce, courageous player.

I've done that at SU. Of course the stadium didn't have a roof at the time.

Best of luck to Daivon -- fierce, courageous player.
I remember reading about people doing that with Archbold. The difference here is that the building was where the endzone bleachers would have been. It was a really small stadium, aboit highschool sized. That whole campus was very compact.

I remember reading about people doing that with Archbold. The difference here is that the building was where the endzone bleachers would have been. It was a really small stadium, aboit highschool sized. That whole campus was very compact.

It wasn't small.

It held 41,000.

It was a big old cement bowl.

And from the dorm - way up in the air - it looked like a pretty impressive stadium even at the end.

duquesne.jpg

The view was from one of the top floors of Lawrinson Hall on an absolutely miserable afternoon, cold and driving rain if I remember correctly.

Whenever I'm moved to complain about heading inside the Dome on a gorgeous fall day, I try to remember that there were also far too many days like that one.

It wasn't small.

It held 41,000.

It was a big old cement bowl.

And from the dorm - way up in the air - it looked like a pretty impressive stadium even at the end.
No. I'm talking about Duquesne's.

I believe it's called Rooney Field (like the Steeler Rooneys).

That's a small school with outsized support in Western Pennsylvania. Don't know if they're competitive on the field, but I'm thinking that a Duquesne football player will leave college with plenty of people looking to offer him a job in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom