Dan Mullen | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm intrigued by him, and would interview him. But his plans for the offense would have to be toward the beginning of the interview.

Just depends on the guy. Bob Stoops was a defensive genius. Got the Oklahoma job and instantly, and successfully, transformed that sputtering run left, run right, let's pretend its 1976 offense to a wide open look that was pass first. Nebraska to this day still hasn't been able to pull that off.

Not saying he's Bob Stoops, but just that some defensive guys understand the value of a good offense. They know what kept them up at night.
a defensive coach willing to hand the keys to a succession of air raid dorks is a great combo

problem is most defensive coaches can't stomach what the air raid offense forces on their defense in practice. defensive coaches usually want a balanced multiple offense to practice defense against. then the games come and they can't wait to punt and play that well prepped defense only to get torched by an air raid offense

If it’s a defensive coach my guess would be Al Golden. He
checks a lot of boxes.

That's my guess too. ND fans are already assuming he'll be gone by next year based on the job he's done with the defense.

Hasn't been a northeast head coach since 2010, and spent 6 years in the NFL. So who knows if he can get the magic back that he pulled off at Temple.

He needs to have a plan on how he will recruit and portal guys in here that actually works. Doing a tour of duty at Cuse should be helpful in that regard. Would have to assume eyes wide open.

Sitting at the foot of Matt Rhule for a year helps a lot.
i think rhule is tremendously overrated. i'll make a post without SRS in it for a change

That's my guess too. ND fans are already assuming he'll be gone by next year based on the job he's done with the defense.

Hasn't been a northeast head coach since 2010, and spent 6 years in the NFL. So who knows if he can get the magic back that he pulled off at Temple.
He played the worst schedules at temple. Even his good teams were below average.

but he was better at miami than late stage pasqualoni/marrone/shafer/babers

IMO, Brady is the best QB that ever played the game, and the proximate cause of Belichick's immense success. This is not a slight on Belichick in anyway, but I see his successes equivalent to the success of Phil Jackson. Jackson, had the luxury of his successes with the best player to ever play the game in Jordan, and then at LA with the likes of Kobe and Shaq.

Look at the Pats without Tom the past few years. Same with Jackson when he no longer had the luxuries of Jordan, Kobe or Shaq.

Jordan, Pippin, Shaq and Kobe never won without Phil Jackson coaching them.

Coaches will tell you that you don't win without the players and any good team has star players but Belichick is a better comparison to Red Auerbach who never won anything without Russell. Bill and Red never had their sequel. Phil did.

Last edited:
Jordan, Pippin, Shaq and Kobe neve won without Phil Jackson coaching them.

Coaches will tell you that you don't win with the players and any good team ahs star players but Belichick is a better comparison to Red Auerbach who never won anything without Russell. Bill and Red never had their sequel. Phil did.

Okay. And John Wooden is the best college hoops coach of all time since any good team had star players.

FWIW, "star players" aren't in the same category as all time bests.

Last edited:
He played the worst schedules at temple. Even his good teams were below average.

but he was better at miami than late stage pasqualoni/marrone/shafer/babers

I think he's meh anyway. And a sweathog. I think they were MAC those years right?

He wouldn't be all that exciting of a hire, but if we end this year with 4 or 5 wins, I'd probably take anyone not named Edsall.

IMO, Brady is the best QB that ever played the game, and the proximate cause of Belichick's immense success. This is not a slight on Belichick in anyway, but I see his successes equivalent to the success of Phil Jackson. Jackson, had the luxury of his successes with the best player to ever play the game in Jordan, and then at LA with the likes of Kobe and Shaq.

Look at the Pats without Tom the past few years. Same with Jackson when he no longer had the luxuries of Jordan, Kobe or Shaq.

The 1st SB Brady barely did anything. And there is also making the playoffs with the Browns. Bill's issue is his style doesn't play in today's game. You can't find the types of guys Parcells and Belichick filled their rosters with.

I think he's meh anyway. And a sweathog. I think they were MAC those years right?

He wouldn't be all that exciting of a hire, but if we end this year with 4 or 5 wins, I'd probably take anyone not named Edsall.
randy edsall's coaching reference is almost as funny as his playing one

Jordan, Pippin, Shaq and Kobe never won without Phil Jackson coaching them.

Coaches will tell you that you don't win without the players and any good team has star players but Belichick is a better comparison to Red Auerbach who never won anything without Russell. Bill and Red never had their sequel. Phil did.
when you get to coach the best players in their prime winning titles all the time, you don't retire or take a different job and no one fires you. Jackson was there for all the years where those guys were going to win

The 1st SB Brady barely did anything. And there is also making the playoffs with the Browns. Bill's issue is his style doesn't play in today's game. You can't find the types of guys Parcells and Belichick filled their rosters with.

I'm a Belichick fan. I am a lifelong Browns fan, and liked him when he was there. I'll never get over the curse of Art Modell and all that that implied.

And, the "types of guys" Belichick filled his roster with was largely afforded by the greatest and constant of the one and only Tom Brady. How have the Pats been since Brady's departure? Is Bill suddenly unable/incabable of filling his roster anymore with "those types of guys?" I'll stand by my view.

Last edited:
when you get to coach the best players in their prime winning titles all the time, you don't retire or take a different job and no one fires you. Jackson was there for all the years where those guys were going to win

So they had to be 'in their prime' to win those titles and the guy coaching them was just lucky enough to be there?

I'm intrigued by him, and would interview him. But his plans for the offense would have to be toward the beginning of the interview.

Just depends on the guy. Bob Stoops was a defensive genius. Got the Oklahoma job and instantly, and successfully, transformed that sputtering run left, run right, let's pretend its 1976 offense to a wide open look that was pass first. Nebraska to this day still hasn't been able to pull that off.

Not saying he's Bob Stoops, but just that some defensive guys understand the value of a good offense. They know what kept them up at night.
He needs to have a plan on how he will recruit and portal guys in here that actually works. Doing a tour of duty at Cuse should be helpful in that regard. Would have to assume eyes wide open.

Sitting at the foot of Matt Rhule for a year helps a lot.
The 2 best posts in this thread.

I was firmly in the camp of give me an offense-first, air raid type head coach. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a defensive HC who is able to sell JW with a PLAN for a passing offense and a PLAN for recruiting, portal, and NIL relative to the challenges SU faces.

Bayside44 is right. White would come in with an "eyes wide open" perspective.

Mullen has some faults obviously and the numbers might not support the recruiting narrative but national recruiting guys like Bud Elliott have said it was a real issue when he was at Florida.

BUT if we aren't going to take a chance on a guy like Chesney and it's going to be retread, I would love Mullen. We are going to need NIL to step up regardless of who it is and I think Mullen can develop with the best of them.

We will win six games and Dino will be back though so it's irrelevant.

The 2 best posts in this thread.

I was firmly in the camp of give me an offense-first, air raid type head coach. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a defensive HC who is able to sell JW with a PLAN for a passing offense and a PLAN for recruiting, portal, and NIL relative to the challenges SU faces.

Bayside44 is right. White would come in with an "eyes wide open" perspective.

Not suprising. We're the 2 best people on this board.

Mullen has some faults obviously and the numbers might not support the recruiting narrative but national recruiting guys like Bud Elliott have said it was a real issue when he was at Florida.

BUT if we aren't going to take a chance on a guy like Chesney and it's going to be retread, I would love Mullen. We are going to need NIL to step up regardless of who it is and I think Mullen can develop with the best of them.

We will win six games and Dino will be back though so it's irrelevant.

I do think we will be 6-6 at the end of the regular season. Not sure what what JW will do. If they have Dino back under no circumstance can they extend him so he will be coming back as a lame duck coach that almost never works.

I am a fan of Mullen but it is hard to justify tying up all that money into him with no way out. No HC is a guarantee. Is it worth giving him a $5M per year, 7 year contract vs another guy for $2.5M per year, 5 year contract when in all likelihood the 2nd guy will have a similar record anyway?

I like White but if he's the answer that's a terrible move. This program clearly needs an offensive coach be it Mullen or someone else.
I’d like to know JW’s rationale here. The offense is at gerg levels of despair. So let’s go ahead and bring in a defensive mind.

No retreads. This job takes passion and energy which is usually in decline in guys who’ve been fired at bigger jobs.

Chesney is the guy.
Randy Edsall is a retread.

You guys have really strange definitions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.