Dan Mullen | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two as of now that are guaranteed to be talked to when the time comes. There will be more but a certain 2 are all the talk

Makes sense. And sounds focused. Good.

See if we can pry Willie Fritz away from Tulane.
He’s about the most solid legit guy who could possibly be had for something in our budget.
Fritz just got paid; signing an extension with the Green Wave.

You guys are crazy with your Mullen hate. The guy is the second winningest coach in Mississippi state history. He recruited better then or at par as every other coach at Mississippi state. When they reached #1, it was the latest and Highest ranked any Mississippi school has ever been. He set a record for most consecutive bowl games reached.

Then at Florida, he is arguably the 3rd best coach in their history.

2018 - 10-3
2019 - 11-2
2020 (COVID) 8-4
COVId year they played only 10 conference games. 4 losses on the year. 3 of the teams finished in the top 6 of the rankings (#1 Alabama, #4 Texas A&M, #6 Oklahoma).

They started 8-1 with a loss by 3 at Texas A&M (50 yd td with 4 min left and then a lasy second fg to win)

At home against LSU, they lost by 3 on a 57 yard fg with 23 seconds left,

Lost championship to Alabama by 6. Alabama won the national championship and their closest margin of victory all year was 15 to Ole Miss (63-48). They won the playoff games 31-14 and 52-24. They dominated everyone that year. And only beat Florida by 6.

Then they lost a bowl game to #6 Oklahoma they didn’t care about because it was COVID and 4 players (2 first round picks Pitts and Toney sat out).

2021 was a bad year. But he was replacing his QB, #4 pick TE Kyle Pitts and #19 pick Kadarius Toney.

His loses that year:
Alabama by 2, they finished #2 and lost in championship game to Georgia
At Kentucky by 7
At LSU by 7
Georgia by 28 (bad loss, rival, but they won NC that year by 15 against Alabama).
At South Carolina (23, bad loss)
At Missouri by 1 in OT.

1 bad year because 2021 Richardson was not ready to play yet (redshirt freshman) and the QB they had did not pan out. Guy was unfairly fired at Florida because everyone wanted Grantham fired after 2020 and Mullen refused to do it. Because he ended up firing Grantham in the middle of the season in 2021 after the South Carolina loss, the fans took it personal and the boosters wanted him out because he didn’t fire him when they wanted him fired. It was a terrible decision to fire him. The guys an excellent offensive coach.

You guys are crazy with your Mullen hate. The guy is the second winningest coach in Mississippi state history. He recruited better then or at par as every other coach at Mississippi state. When they reached #1, it was the latest and Highest ranked any Mississippi school has ever been. He set a record for most consecutive bowl games reached.

Then at Florida, he is arguably the 3rd best coach in their history.

2018 - 10-3
2019 - 11-2
2020 (COVID) 8-4
COVId year they played only 10 conference games. 4 losses on the year. 3 of the teams finished in the top 6 of the rankings (#1 Alabama, #4 Texas A&M, #6 Oklahoma).

They started 8-1 with a loss by 3 at Texas A&M (50 yd td with 4 min left and then a lasy second fg to win)

At home against LSU, they lost by 3 on a 57 yard fg with 23 seconds left,

Lost championship to Alabama by 6. Alabama won the national championship and their closest margin of victory all year was 15 to Ole Miss (63-48). They won the playoff games 31-14 and 52-24. They dominated everyone that year. And only beat Florida by 6.

Then they lost a bowl game to #6 Oklahoma they didn’t care about because it was COVID and 4 players (2 first round picks Pitts and Toney sat out).

2021 was a bad year. But he was replacing his QB, #4 pick TE Kyle Pitts and #19 pick Kadarius Toney.

His loses that year:
Alabama by 2, they finished #2 and lost in championship game to Georgia
At Kentucky by 7
At LSU by 7
Georgia by 28 (bad loss, rival, but they won NC that year by 15 against Alabama).
At South Carolina (23, bad loss)
At Missouri by 1 in OT.

1 bad year because 2021 Richardson was not ready to play yet (redshirt freshman) and the QB they had did not pan out. Guy was unfairly fired at Florida because everyone wanted Grantham fired after 2020 and Mullen refused to do it. Because he ended up firing Grantham in the middle of the season in 2021 after the South Carolina loss, the fans took it personal and the boosters wanted him out because he didn’t fire him when they wanted him fired. It was a terrible decision to fire him. The guys an excellent offensive coach.
He is an excellent coach, period.

He is an excellent coach, period.
“But he doesn’t like recruiting” We struggle to land a top 50 class as it is, do we think Mullen wouldn’t be able to bring solid recruiters on his staff? Do we really think Dan Mullen wouldn’t be able to recruit at least as good as Dino has? And I’m confident he’d be a 10x better coach tactically than Dino, so our talent that we do land would be elevated. Anyone turning their nose up at him because he “doesn’t like to recruit” but had *checks notes* 3 straight top 15 classes at Florida is insane. I’d love to see him not like recruiting at Syracuse. As a HC he’s won less than 7 games 3 times, and one of those was his first year ever as a head coach. If we’re able to land Dan Mullen I’d be more than happy.

Last edited:
“But he doesn’t like recruiting” We struggle to land a top 50 class as it is, do we think Mullen wouldn’t be able to bring solid recruiters on his staff? Do we really think Dan Mullen wouldn’t be able to recruit at least as good as Dino has? And I’m confident he’d be a 10x better coach tactically than Dino, so our talent that we do land would be elevated. Anyone turning their nose up at him because he “doesn’t like to recruit” but had *checks notes* 3 straight top 15 classes at Florida is insane. I’d love to see him not like recruiting at Syracuse. As a HC he’s won less than 7 games 3 times, and one of those was his first year ever as a head coach. If we’re able to land Dan Mullen I’d be more than happy.
It’s comical. It’s actually beyond comical :confused:

There are 2 names on a short list right now and Dan Mullen is not on it. Just an fyi. Not an opinion. Sharing what I know. But he’s not on it as of right now
Well I suspect we’re going on the cheap then, as frustratingly expected, and that we’re all going to be disappointed when this thing comes to a conclusion.

He didn't recruit well enough to keep his job at Florida. Why won't we just admit, that Syracuse is a tough place to recruit to. We need a magician, who is an expert at smoke and mirrors...because we can't compete without the cash of our competitors.
Keep dying on that hill that he didn't recruit well enough at Florida. The data doesn't back you up.

Yeah his recruiting classes were only ranked 10th nationally I believe. Don’t want a guy like that at all.
Florida recruits itself

He didn't recruit well enough to keep his job at Florida. Why won't we just admit, that Syracuse is a tough place to recruit to. We need a magician, who is an expert at smoke and mirrors...because we can't compete without the cash of our competitors.

LOL yeah and neither is Dino at Syracuse???????

8 years…mostly bad recruiting

It’s time for a breathe of fresh air at Syracuse University

Mullen SRS schedule weighted scoring margin per game at Florida 12.52
Spurrier was 18.54 at florida
Bobby Bowden was 15.95 at florida
Zook 9.61
Muschamp 9.04
Urban Meyer 17.64
McElwain 7.15

Florida fires everyone hoping to find another spurrier or Meyer. It's not that dumb because replacement level hires have a pretty high floor

But it might show that Mullen is better than a bunch of the coaches they've tried which should be good enough for us. Yeah, he's not Meyer or Spurrier but who is that would give us the time of day

Dabo is 14.35

Last edited:
Mullen SRS schedule weighted scoring margin per game at Florida 12.52
Spurrier was 18.54 at florida
Bobby Bowden was 15.95 at florida
Zook 9.61
Muschamp 9.04
Urban Meyer 17.64
McElwain 7.15

Florida fires everyone hoping to find another spurrier or Meyer. It's not that dumb because replacement level hires have a pretty high floor

But it might show that Mullen is better than a bunch of the coaches they've tried which should be good enough for us. Yeah, he's not Meyer or Spurrier but who is that would give us the time of day

Dabo is 14.35
To your point and what I mentioned above. His firsr three years at Florida.

Yes he had a bad year at 4.37 his last year. But to fire someone after 4 years that threw up those numbers is unimaginable.

Yes he had a bad year at 4.37 his last year. But to fire someone after 4 years that threw up those numbers is unimaginable.
I don't get all indignant about it. Ron Zook was competent after Spurrier and they canned him and everyone said How DARE you. and then they had more national championships with meyer. when they swing and miss they still go to big bowls, they don't have to worry much about firing people.

Also, for people saying he is a bad recruiter. Which is lazy analysis. Usually takes 5 years for coaches to build a base and recruit there guys. First year is just throwing stuff together last minute, then 4 years of guys you had a plan for.

Years 6-9 at Mississippi state

SRS - 15.04
SRS - 13.59
SRS - 1.68 (surprised me, but it only takes a little bit to have a down year. I believe there was a couple suspensions at the beginning of the year as well)
SRS - 11.85

Since 2001, Syracuse has one season above 6.27, Babers 2018 team which was 12.14. Mullen had close to 3 years in a row at that level or better at Missisippi state.

The 8 years before Mullen got to Mississippi state, there highest SRS was 4.84. 6 of the 8 SRS’s in that time frame were negative values.

Last edited:
Two as of now that are guaranteed to be talked to when the time comes. There will be more but a certain 2 are all the talk
Are you encouraged by these two? Guessing Tony white is one of them based on how highly he was regarded by JW.

Yeah I think the recruiting narrative is from his comment in a press conference, not sure which year it happened, it was either before he got fired or the year before he was termed where he said something about we'll talk about recruiting when its time to talk about it, ie around signing days. And that just didnt go over well and Finebaum criticized him etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.