Dan Mullen | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things:

1. I have no idea if this is true or not, but would be a home run if so. A few people who are in the loop basically shrugged and said there are several candidates. Most of of those names are already names on this board.

2. For those worried about money, etc. On the surface this makes more sense than not. Mullen got fired for running a top 10-15 program. Just not top 1-5.

If he loves coaching, what better place than Syracuse which plays in a good conference, has some money, and you can collect 4-5 million dollars a year.

9-4, 8-5 here a good years. Those get you fired at big time schools. If you love the game, but hate some of the BS that comes with it, this is a great stop.

I haven't spent this much time refreshing both my phone and my bowels since the last big recruiting announcement and the last time I ate green bean casserole, respectively.
It is always about the bathroom with Rags….. ;)

If anyone is curious, how blocking assignments work in football, and wants the Dan Mullen spit on it, this is a good watch, even though it’s 40 minutes long. I watched it all this morning and liked what he had to say.

I get that but this is us basically getting the best coaching candidate in this cycle.

It’s a real commitment to a program that is at a 52 week low. It would really make me wonder why we were slumming w Dino for this long if we could have upgraded to a Mullin w a snap of a finger.
I hear you. But it was never "a snap of the finger." I can tell you that it was felt that the resources (university and donor based) were best utilized on other long term ROI upgrades (catching up with peers) while giving Dino every opportunity to right the ship. Whether we agree with that line of reasoning is irrelevant.

For all you Dan Mullen believers (that it is going to happen) I am sure you realize that this would be an earth shattering hire. That said, if the school has a brain in its collective head, they would realize that opening the wallet for him is a no brainer. The investment would come back in spades. We need to be relevant again as realignment continues and time is running out. We need to get back into the top 25-30 teams or we are toast and will be left behind.

Given all of the money we have spent on facilities, coaches will be chump change to ensure the future os SU big time athletics.

Is the admin smart enough to go big?

If anyone is curious, how blocking assignments work in football, and wants the Dan Mullen spit on it, this is a good watch, even though it’s 40 minutes long. I watched it all this morning and liked what he had to say.

Hey man, how are you? Who is your choice?

He has to look at this team and the league and think i can get this team from 6 to 8-9 and then the occasional 10 with a shot at a 12 team playoff. we are a 2 armed QB away from an 8-9 team this year alone.

Correct. That's why Sexton sets the industry standard (Marrone IIRC). But this is ADJW's first dance on the football side. I don't know ADJW, so I am not a shill, but I am very confident he will be up to the task if Mullen is the choice.

Which reminds me just how comical all the anti-AD angst we've entertained here the last 2-3 years is. If anyone here does not think that ADJW and his style of leadership is not one of the top 2-3 drawing cards as it pertains to this job, for someone like Mullen (or Chesney), then "you" (not specific to GoSU96) have zero understanding of what college football is all about.
He was SEC Coach of the year at Miss St of all places.

Again I’ll ask it - what more do people want?

I have been all aboard the Dan Mullen train for weeks now. Honestly, didn’t think it had the greatest chance of happening but I was hoping. If this actually happens it would be huge and I’m excited for it. No coach has a 100%chance to succeed at any program but I can’t help but think he has the highest percentage chance to succeed at Cuse out of all of the names we have heard/discussed. It would certainly energize the fans at worst. Couldn’t care less what we pay, I will just be happy if/when it happens!

That is the biggest potential risk with Mullen. He really doesn't have any recruiting history in the Northeast. If you look at his recruiting at Miss. St., he was able to get local players and almost all of his 4* recruits were from Mississippi and those players aren't coming to Syracuse. In the 2024 Mississippi HS class, there are 10 4*s from Mississippi and 62 3*s vs. 0 4*s and 14 3*s from NY. In addition, there are 2 4*s and 21 3* JUCO recruits in Mississippi.

His best recruiting class at Mississippi State was probably his 2015 class ranked #18. It included 10 4*s which consisted of 6 Mississippi HS athletes, 3 Mississippi JUCO athletes, and 1 HS athlete from Alabama.
I actually think there’s a good thing because he was able to keep top prospects home at Miss St of all places.

If he can do that there then he can do it in PA/NJ/NY/NE.

Hey man, how are you? Who is your choice?

I’m good! I’m good! We need to catchup for dinner sometime soon. Give your wife my regards.

If Mullen wants to be here, it’s a no brainer, IMO, for ADJW to pony up the piggy bank. Had someone tell me yesterday that administration realizes that this hire is important in a way that it could cause those big conference paychecks to stop coming down the road if they don’t get it right.

I am all 100% in

No. JW has been hamstrung with Dinos buyout, covid year, facilities upgrades cost.
The timing is right and the administration has made the commitment to football. The JMA, new complex prove that.
Pete Sala told me that Phase 1 of the dome renovation came in $7 million under cost. That’s amazing with stadium construction costs today. I think JW is correct when he says it’s important to be strategic when upgrading programs.

One of the things that I don’t think has been spoken about yet, if it has I’ll just add my take on the point, is with a massive splash hire like this, you’d think it would excite our current commits and top current players and give us a really good chance to keep them. Obviously I’m sure there’s some Mullen might give a nudge to and advise them it’s not a great fit, but a kid like Tremble is the one I’m thinking of on the commits front, it would be massive to keep him on board and you’d think a hire like Mullen would really make that a possibility.

I honestly can't believe this. I am fine with Chesney (in fact, happy with him), but I hadn't considered Mullen because I thought it was pie in the sky.

If this happens, kudos to Wildhack, the University, the boosters and everyone involved. Because this wouldn't just be a commitment to Mullen -- it's his assistants, NIL, etc.

The best day to go big with our football program was yesterday, the next-best-day is today. Sounds like we're jumping in.

This would be a monster get and the momentum would be immediate.

1700842133520.jpeg

No idea where this is going to end, but Mullen would be a high profile hire that would at least send a signal that we’re serious about football.

He’s a very good x and o coach. And we need that because we’re never going to be stacked with 5* kids no matter who we hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom