Dan Mullen | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only people saying we couldn’t pay top rates were people on here and in the media.

Syracuse and the university have not said they couldn’t pay big boy money

It's similar to NIL. ADJW has said repeatedly that NIL is not a problem, that we have a very competitive NIL environment. But, you wouldn't know that if you listened to the media and some on here.

He definitely reached out to us
You Like Me Sally Field GIF by The Academy Awards

I want to know how we financially can afford him after years of saying we can’t pay top 20 rates. Dan Mullin is going to command a top 20 salary. Who is our sugar daddy
Dino was extended at a top 25 rate at the time in 2018.

This narrative of we won’t pay is not reality for the past 8 years (we were competitive for Dinos first contract also when he was highly sought after by P5 schools)

Miracle is an understatement
I’m not a college football guy and I’d be lying if I said I knew much about Dan Mullen before two days ago. Hell I’m excited for SU football if this comes to fruition.

I get the idea behind finding a young up and comer, but SU needs an experienced professional and this guy seems 100% legit a great hire for this program.

Zook actually recruited well at Illinois but he was, plain and simply, a bad coach.
And simply put, no one has honestly suggested that Mullen is a bad coach.
What he did at Mississippi State was amazing. As a coach he is extremely highly regarded. UF has struggled in the years following Urban, so 34-15 there was actually very good. His last year was poor record wise but the context given by several others of who UF lost to and how they lost shows it was not as bad as it appeared.
When I heard his name was being mentioned I thought it would be a great hire for SU, but did not consider it likely. Given solid support and REASONABLE (not SEC level) financial backing, I believe Mullen is the best option. Is there really anyone else who could say “I want to compete for championships. Oh, and I did have a team that was rated #1 in the CFP rankings, so I have an idea what it takes.”
It might not ever happen and should not be the expectation to start, but why set your ultimate goal at a low bar.

I would burn everything Orange if we hired that jerk.

You know Crusty that being said, Was Mullen on the Florida staff when Meyer had issues with controlling players?

He’s a lot of guys agent. Guys that have been here
Correct. That's why Sexton sets the industry standard (Marrone IIRC). But this is ADJW's first dance on the football side. I don't know ADJW, so I am not a shill, but I am very confident he will be up to the task if Mullen is the choice.

Which reminds me just how comical all the anti-AD angst we've entertained here the last 2-3 years is. If anyone here does not think that ADJW and his style of leadership are not one of the top 2-3 drawing cards as it pertains to this job, for someone like Mullen (or Chesney), then "you" (not specific to GoSU96) have zero understanding of what college football is all about.

Last edited:
If you really want to be the SU coach then I would think you want to be it as soon as possible to build/retain the staff and get ahead of the portal and signing day curve.

You know Crusty that being said, Was Mullen on the Florida staff when Meyer had issues with controlling players?
Yes, I believe he was OC/QB coach. But I don't condemn the whole staff. So was Addazzio, Doc Holiday and Charlie Strong.
Besides it is his history of repeatedly bad behavior. I think the guy is everything that is bad about CFB.

I think it’s a matter of finally being backed into a corner with conference realignment.
No. JW has been hamstrung with Dinos buyout, covid year, facilities upgrades cost.
The timing is right and the administration has made the commitment to football. The JMA, new complex prove that.

Yes, I believe he was OC/QB coach. But I don't condemn the whole staff. So was Addazzio, Doc Holiday and Charlie Strong.
Besides it is his history of repeatedly bad behavior. I think the guy is everything that is bad about CFB.

I don't either but it has to be vetted and made sure because it could be a problem in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom