Darius Bazely | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazely

Sounds like a smart young man , very articulate. Sometimes one can be too smart, too confident and overthink ,and complicate a journey from point A to point B.
I know it's subjective depending on standards, but I don't think he is THAT smart.

I wonder is he is still trying to get that Pop Tarts endorsement.

:cool:

I didn't see in the article how he is affording an apartment and chef. Did I miss something or can we surmise that his agent provided these?

Kid is right...the team ball aspect may be missing in the G League. It’s a league of adults all trying to make it, where nobody really cares about him. Tough to shine there.

You know where he could’ve played team ball in an environment where many would’ve cared about his success, and on TV for maximum exposure all year? Syracuse.

But then, everybody would’ve had to wait a year to get paid. But the money probably would’ve been much bigger.

SMH.

I’d sue my AAU coach and ANY other adult who aided in the decision.
You guys cant really fully blame a teenager.

It feels like his agency placed the article based on how one-sided it was.

He seems like a kid who has a decent head on his shoulders, but he probably took advice from people who either a) didn't have his best interests at heart of b) just gave him bad advice.

I'm guessing it is probably the former situation where an agency wanted to be known as the guys to take top prospects to the pros foregoing college and he was just a casualty of signing on first.

Oh well, it's never easy making big life changing decisions, especially at 18. Hopefully things work out for him and he can make the best of this situation.

This kid is being handled horribly.

I actually feel bad for him. He has talent to be a top half of the first round draft pick.
If he doesn’t play this year in the G League he will tumble.
No way just sitting out the year playing competifve basketball will get him drafted as highly as he could. I get not wanting to play for free okay but my god suck it up and play in the G league show some basketball skills and competitiveness.

Sitting out the year means he will just try and sneak in the first round with as an upside project pick. He won’t develop his skills as this kid isn’t an automatic talent like a LeBron or Durant.

His handlers are so greedy. He should have just decommited and gotten his bag of money from another school.

Remember he spurned Ohio State, as a Ohio kid. Then he pulls what he pulled with us. Now all that G League/trail blazing "I'd play there for free" talk is gone. His handlers really need to be taken to task. Not that he still can't be a first rounder, but he is going to be off the radar now and if anything he's probably not going in the lottery -- if at all.

He was a solid recruit but wasn't "elite" until this last year. My guess is the handlers had money in their eyes immediately and took advantage of him and his newfound attention. Yet it was clear from the Nike Tourney he isn't really a top 10 talent at this stage.

I'm just amazed at the stupidity of the decision-making here (which I assume was mainly driven by his adult advisors and not by Bazley himself). Reading the article, which is a clear puff piece hand-delivered by Bazley's camp, I'm left with the firm impression that his advisors (1) didn't realize that Bazley wasn't a free agent who could sign with any G-League team, and (2) didn't think through that the G-League is a "get-mine" league that isn't well-suited to a skilled, unselfish player who still needs to fill out physically.

I mean, the bare minimum requirement for competent representation is researching and perceiving the consequences flowing from the path you advocate.

Remember he spurned Ohio State, as a Ohio kid. Then he pulls what he pulled with us. Now all that G League/trail blazing "I'd play there for free" talk is gone. His handlers really need to be taken to task. Not that he still can't be a first rounder, but he is going to be off the radar now and if anything he's probably not going in the lottery -- if at all.

He was a solid recruit but wasn't "elite" until this last year. My guess is the handlers had money in their eyes immediately and took advantage of him and his newfound attention. Yet it was clear from the Nike Tourney he isn't really a top 10 talent at this stage.
I agree with that this guy young that he may be changes every time the wind blows in a different direction. Believe that this is the 4th decision made in a little over a year (Ohio State,Syracuse, G-League and no G League). Believe that Ohio State and Syracuse were blessed by his decisions and no longer have to put with his antics. Best of luck to the young man because he will need some. Glad to close the book on him because he is no longer SU’s concern. He would be a good candidate for Lavar Ball’s League. Or wait that would be yet another bad decision on the part of him and his advisoral team.

I agree with that this guy young that he may be changes every time the wind blows in a different direction. Believe that this is the 4th decision made in a little over a year (Ohio State,Syracuse, G-League and no G League). Believe that Ohio State and Syracuse were blessed by his decisions and no longer have to put with his antics. Best of luck to the young man because he will need some. Glad to close the book on him because he is no longer SU’s concern. He would be a good candidate for Lavar Ball’s League. Or wait that would be yet another bad decision on the part of him and his advisoral team.

Yeah, it’s hard to say. It definitely seems like his “advisoral team” and handlers/family are controlling his moves without his best interests in mind. I was disappointed when he chose to stay in Cincinnati his senior year as well. He needed a better weight program and, more importantly, better competition to play against. I personally think going to Syracuse or OSU would have been great and mutually beneficial. I think it would’ve worked out very well assuming his handlers didn’t come to Syracuse or Columbus lurking, leeching off of him, etc. I have no doubt team chemsitry would’ve been fine. After that Givony report from those workouts; he probably made the right decision not trying the G-League. He would’ve been eaten alive and Givony was saying he looks really lost right now in organized games/scrimmages. Obviously strength-wise he is overmatched. College ball for a year would’ve been perfect...sigh.

Last edited:
Everyone involved in this kid's decision making process from Rich Paul to his mother should be ashamed at what has happened to him. Everyone was chasing dollars instead of looking out for his well being. I'm over the Syracuse thing, but no one could wait a few more months to make the NBA decision. Everyone but his camp knew that the G League was a get mine league where the coaches and players weren't going to babysit a kid who was gunning for an NBA roster spot like they were. I feel sorry for him more than anything. He's not a can't miss prospect. Has to hope that some team will take a flyer on him because private workouts aren't going to improve his stock.

Everyone involved in this kid's decision making process from Rich Paul to his mother should be ashamed at what has happened to him. Everyone was chasing dollars instead of looking out for his well being. I'm over the Syracuse thing, but no one could wait a few more months to make the NBA decision. Everyone but his camp knew that the G League was a get mine league where the coaches and players weren't going to babysit a kid who was gunning for an NBA roster spot like they were. I feel sorry for him more than anything. He's not a can't miss prospect. Has to hope that some team will take a flyer on him because private workouts aren't going to improve his stock.

Good post. It’s too bad. He isn’t some can’t miss prospect like you said. Clearly his camp has an inflated view of his game and abilities as well. Precisely why I mentioned not getting to an Oak Hill or IMG and staying in Cincinnati was a terrible decision. I remember our buddy Dean F was leery and skeptical of that decision as well awhile back WAY before any of this lunacy dropped.

Good post. It’s too bad. He isn’t some can’t miss prospect like you said. Clearly his camp has an inflated view of his game and abilities as well. Precisely why I mentioned not getting to an Oak Hill or IMG and staying in Cincinnati was a terrible decision. I remember our buddy Dean F was leery and skeptical of that decision as well awhile back WAY before any of this lunacy dropped.
I believe the staff talked to him about going to Brewster and he had no interest. Wanted to stay home and play against inferior competition. I don't think this kid makes it now. I think he would have had a chance to play himself in the bottom of the lottery if he had a good year at SU. It's too bad.

Wasnt a coach named Steve Wright from his princeton school a big influence?

It’s funny. Let’s assume Bazley was coming here and Battle/Brissett still came back.

Bazley would be getting 25mpg, probably averaging 8ppg/5rpg/2apg/2bpg all while almost never being the focus of attention of the other team. He’d be practicing against one of the best defenses in the country while going head to head with another 1st round pick (OB). He’d play enough to flash all of that potential enough to make NBA teams gush. He’d have a year to gain weight and work on his shot. He’d declare and most likely do well at a combine style event. He may struggle in scrimmages but he would have shown enough in the season to fall into the lottery.

He’s now hoping his high school tapes playing Walnut Hills, making some open jumpshots in a try out, and “working on drills” when every other prospect is in live action for the world to watch (also practicing against actual D1/G-League players) will get him drafted .

Good luck to the kid, I’d have way more respect for him if he stuck to the G-League thing

If I'm an NBA GM with a 2nd round pick, I'm absolutely interested.

Wasnt a coach named Steve Wright from his princeton school a big influence?
He has only coached the team for 1 year. It was Coach Ellison before that. He was basically hand picked because of his relationship with Bazely to have the job. It's not like he is some experience high school coach that is giving bad advice. It's like giving the head job to a family friend. He can't be more that 35 years old.

If I'm an NBA GM with a 2nd round pick, I'm absolutely interested.
He will go in the first round. It’s just no way he will go high.
Enes Kanter didn’t play at all and he went in the lottery.
Now the kid was practicing against NBA talent every day and he wanted to compete but the NCAA wouldn’t let him.
Bazley has NBA talent he is just lost a chance to showcase himself. Teams in the 20s will be all over this kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom