Darius Bazely | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazely

How come? (and I'm not sure if we're talking about McCullough or Bazely right now)

McCullough.

Let’s start with he just said he didn’t get a fair shake in the NBA after 3 years.

This is always the argument, expenses make that 3.8 mil less than it really is. Well, my average syracuse salary is less than it really is after health insurance, taxes, 401k, groceries, fancy beers, etc.

Go get paid while you can and then figure the rest out after. You're further ahead of most at your age even if you fizzle out.

I think the point is less that it's not good money -- it's phenomenal money and if managed correctly, it's an incredible nest egg. And, by the way, if a kid wants to go, then go. I think we can all agree that ultimately it's not our call and you can't necessarily hammer someone for chasing a dream.

But, and this is a big thing that I think a lot of people miss, most of us aren't anywhere near as smart with our money as CusefanATL appears to be. And when you've got a ton of money, especially as a young guy literally surrounded by millionaires, there is a tendency to spend that money indiscriminately. I'm intentionally not saying irresponsibly b/c whatever, he's making a ton and has few if any of the pressures that most of us have with kids, wife, college savings, etc. at this point.

I see this even as a 'responsible' adult and parent since I live in a fairly affluent area (not my neighborhood, which is just sort of middle class, but the DC area in general). You often find yourself hanging out with folks who have mass quantities of expendable cash (apparently) and there inherently is pressure to send kids to private schools, move to nicer homes (or at least do huge projects on the place you're in), take nice vacations, drive new, expensive cars, etc. When there's money all around you it's hard to just drive a hyundai and live in a plain 1BR in the suburbs ... especially at 24 or whatever.

If you want to go, go. The money is real. It's just very different than most of us here making that money with the benefit of life experience and the understanding of just how many expenses come with age and relationships, etc.

Quotes like that cut right to the point that some attempt to make here - that when these guys get their shot they better be ready.

Yup. If guys get a certain “knock” on them, it can be tough to overcome.

I have a problem with the universal “he needs another year” thinking. But the “everybody should go no matter what” thinking is flawed too. Every players situation is unique.

Hopefully Chris keeps working hard and eventually gets another crack and makes the most of it. He’s so young.

Eric Devendorf was a sociopath 10-12 years ago and now he's a mature assistant coach, running kids camps, etc. I can't see how you wouldn't want CM on your staff for something as minor as that.

I actually thought of Devo as I was posting. Def an example as well as others who have matured.

Cm certainly could as well. I would like to see more accountability as a professional. But I wouldn’t hold it against him in 5-10 years.

There is also more to CM but I’m going to preface it as PURELY an uneducated opinion.

He seems to care more about his appearance than his game.

I think Bazely's story has yet to be totally written. Different players but the guy the Knicks got in the 2nd round this year certainly improved without playing anywhere of note. Do I think he will make it? No. However, I am not on the bandwagon that college is the only route to the league, and I think eventually a kid will try again.

I think Bazely's story has yet to be totally written. Different players but the guy the Knicks got in the 2nd round this year certainly improved without playing anywhere of note. Do I think he will make it? No. However, I am not on the bandwagon that college is the only route to the league, and I think eventually a kid will try again.

Yeah. His career isn’t over. But he’s added an additional hill to climb.

College may not be the best route for everyone. (Like Lebron)

But it is for 99.99999% of everyone else. Baz is def included in that. Especially with that frame.

The thing everyone misses with McCullough and some of our other draft picks is they are guaranteed a pension when they retire after 3 seasons in the league.

Bazley screwed himself though. There's no way around it.

We can all quibble about our guys that leave early, at the end of the day even if it was a bad decision they still will all wind up doing pretty well for themselves. There is no argument on this one, this is the dumbest bball decision I have ever witnessed.

Robinson, the Knicks 2nd round pick, had some sort of issues at West Ky. He picked a path rarely travelled and that path probably cost him being a first round pick. As a Knick fan, I can't believe our good fortune to have been able to draft this kid. If you look at his vids, his athleticism for a man his size is beyond off the charts. No question he will be a big-time NBA player if his head is all together.

With Baz, I am reading between the lines, but I get a sense that this is not a kid who wants to compete hard and work to improve. I get a sense he wants to dominate on just his talent. Truthfully, he is not that good, he will need to really work hard to play in the NBA. He isn't close to Robinson in terms of raw talent. He just basically forfeited any chance of being a first round pick, now maybe he doesn't even get drafted unless he excels in workouts.

The more I hear about him the gladder I am that he isn't coming. He would have taken minutes from Marek and Hughes, who I think are very hard working team guys.

Robinson, the Knicks 2nd round pick, had some sort of issues at West Ky. He picked a path rarely travelled and that path probably cost him being a first round pick. As a Knick fan, I can't believe our good fortune to have been able to draft this kid. If you look at his vids, his athleticism for a man his size is beyond off the charts. No question he will be a big-time NBA player if his head is all together.

With Baz, I am reading between the lines, but I get a sense that this is not a kid who wants to compete hard and work to improve. I get a sense he wants to dominate on just his talent. Truthfully, he is not that good, he will need to really work hard to play in the NBA. He isn't close to Robinson in terms of raw talent. He just basically forfeited any chance of being a first round pick, now maybe he doesn't even get drafted unless he excels in workouts.

The more I hear about him the gladder I am that he isn't coming. He would have taken minutes from Marek and Hughes, who I think are very hard working team guys.

Our programs track record with long forwards with some versatile skills is pretty good. I think he would’ve done well here.

Eric Devendorf was a sociopath 10-12 years ago and now he's a mature assistant coach, running kids camps, etc. I can't see how you wouldn't want CM on your staff for something as minor as that.

Sociopath? Really? Did you know Eric personally 10-12 years ago or are you just that ignorant. Unreal. He’s always been a solid dude. Always. Was he immature? Yeah totally but calling him a sociopath is on a different level. Sad.

Our programs track record with long forwards with some versatile skills is pretty good. I think he would’ve done well here.
I am not saying that HE would not have done well with us.

What i am questionning is whether a kid who lacked commitment to OSU, lacked commitment to us, and lacked commitment to the G League would really have the right attitude to make our team better. Baz clearly has commitment issues, he may also have dedication and work ethic issues as those often go hand in hand. Is this the kind of a guy who would make our team better by taking minutes from Marek and Hughes ?

it takes more than raw talent to make a great team; hopefully, we will have those pieces this season.

Sociopath? Really? Did you know Eric personally 10-12 years ago or are you just that ignorant. Unreal. He’s always been a solid dude. Always. Was he immature? Yeah totally but calling him a sociopath is on a different level. Sad.

I read it as widespread perception of him; even before that nighttime infamous incident. Many good ol' boys used the "w word" to describe him due to his swagger and propensity for...urbanness.

Seriously, people need to back off these 20-21 year olds. Malachi Richardson took a beating a couple of years back.

We live in a country where 4 million people from middle/upper middle class homes aged 26-34 live with their parents, despite many of them having college or even graduate degrees. People do grow up, but the new adult threshold probably should be about 28 or 30. The colleges are filled with middle aged people changing directions.

Last edited:

I was exaggerating/joking when I said sociopath. He was immature.

Talk about over-thinking something. All Bazley needed to do to become a multi-millionaire was to play 1 good season at SU. Do a little school work (with tutors to help) for a few months. Taking the easy way out seems to have backfired on him. Live and learn.

Why is it being assumed that he'll have more of a struggle just getting by than others? And why does he need to know everything now as opposed to figuring more out in the coming years? Adulthood really does start at around 30 these days for many. There are 4 million Americans between 26 and 34 (many with degrees or advanced degrees) who live with their parents.

I read it as widespread perception of him; even before that nighttime infamous incident. Many good ol' boys used the "w word" to describe him due to his swagger and propensity for...urbanness.

Seriously, people need to back off these 20-21 year olds. Malachi Richardson took a beating a couple of years back.

We live in a country where 4 million people from middle/upper middle class homes aged 26-34 live with their parents, despite many of them having college or even graduate degrees. People do grow up, but the new adult threshold probably should be about 28 or 30. The colleges are filled with middle aged people changing directions.

It’s all about if he becomes accostomed to the lifestyle his NBA money afforded him.

He can grow up and get by any way he pleases. It’s just not that easy to adjust from big money to average money.

It’s also not that easy to tell the hanger ons that their allowance is done.

He's lucky if he can keep a third of his earnings. And what's left is likely to be gone a few years later if he follows the same pattern of other ex-NBA guys. Can you say Europe?

Same problem many of us have. If alcohol, ladies and the ponies weren’t so damn attractive I’d be a wealthy man.

We can all quibble about our guys that leave early, at the end of the day even if it was a bad decision they still will all wind up doing pretty well for themselves. There is no argument on this one, this is the dumbest bball decision I have ever witnessed.

Somewhere geno Thorpe is feeling disrespected to not at least get a mention in the dumbest decisions discussion.

that poor guy.

Yeah, and after seeing the top of the mountain, he's got no degree, he's got no alumni network to help him find a job. Most of these guys bomb out afterwards, if they don't manage their affairs, and reach a certain level of success. It's all about the second contract. If you get the second contract and you manage your business well, THEN you should be set. But so many of these young guys are like people who win $1M lottery, quit their jobs, go on a binge, and then are bankrupt a few years later.

Same problem many of us have. If alcohol, ladies and the ponies weren’t so damn attractive I’d be a wealthy man.

Horses do have nice hair and curvy backsides, but still ...

I find it hard to accept the venom going towards Barley. He is a naïve teenager that was led down a primrose path by adults who convinced him they knew the best way for him to succeed.
Sure, he had to agree, but how mature does he have to be to go his own way against the wishes of his coach, Mom and who knows who else was involved.
I really feel sorry for the kid put in such a terrible situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom