Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

Thanks for the article but he didn’t have to mislead Syracuse University, take a scholarship from another potential player, and be THAT self centered about it.

I reached my goal in life too (earning a PhD from Syracuse) but I didn’t have to hurt people along the way or leave damage in my path.

I’m happy he thinks he is getting what he wants but he should have left SU out of it.
Who's scholarship is he taking? We have up to FOUR open scholarships once Tyus leaves.

Self-centered? He's looking out for himself and his family. I have no problem with that and wish others could see it from that kid's POV.

Things change, even in a blink of an eye. Do you think he planned to do this last July?

"Of course I know the decision was really upsetting to Syracuse and their fans. I definitely understand that, but I also know that in my heart, this is the right decision for me. That being said, I’m always going to pull for the Orange. I’m hopeful that my spot is given to someone who can go there and help that team win a national championship."

It's only my opinion, but this gave me closure. Over it completely, no hard feelings towards the kid.
I know this still doesn't sit well with some, and I understand that, but I think most will get over it.

Timing. Not the choice.

And he goes on to say

“I’m hopeful that my spot is given to someone who can go there and help that team win a national championship.”

It’s April dude.
So what changes if he tells JB in February that he's thinking about the G-League?

For who then? What recruits out there in February aren't available now that our system would be fits for?

Hardly the point. The two extra months could have been used to cultivate relationships with any prospects the staff could have pivoted toward, instead of the coaching staff having to scramble now.

OttoinGrotto Not here to argue dude. G League teams would like to develop players that would be in their program for years to come. These coaches don't want to be G-League coaches forever, they want to get wins/get noticed so they'd get a better gig. They're not looking to develop a kid that will be there for a year and look to get drafted by a different franchise. It does no good to them.

Most, if not all of the articles on the Players Tribune, are written by PR teams. It is one of the many reasons that they aren't highly thought of by members of the sports media.

With that said, I'm over Bazley. If he wanted to be here, he'd be here. His camp didn't want him here (money was introduced) and he fell in line. He will find success difficult to come by at the next level. Good luck.

Business decision by the player rather than the school. I am ambivalent - could he have told us sure, but I'm sure behind the scenes the school has done some things that might not look good either. He isn't part of our family - don't wish him well or ill, just don't care. I do like the player played the system rather than the system playing the player. That is a nice change.

Hardly the point. The two extra months could have been used to cultivate relationships with any prospects the staff could have pivoted toward, instead of the coaching staff having to scramble now.
That's fair. It doesn't sound like he knew months ago that this would happen, even if it was discussed by his fam. Even though the timing sucks, maybe he didn't finalize his decision until last week. I don't know. I just can't get too worked up over the kid deciding so late like this.

Shouldn't the staff at least be in touch with possible options, even if they don't end up being needed? Maybe there's too much involved in that, but it seems like we're constantly getting caught off guard even though we've got to know anything can happen these days. I'm sure there's plenty going on behind the scenes beyond what any of us know.

Shouldn't the staff at least be in touch with possible options, even if they don't end up being needed?
I don't know about that ... that's a bit extreme. One thing I would like to know is whether or not they typically keep the press on a kid after he's signed an LOI ... does the staff just drop off the face of earth and hope they show up for summer sessions or do they keep calling and visiting (or, I guess more accurately, are they allowed to), or somewhere in between?
If he said this earlier it would have saved me a lot of anguish. Then I would KNOW he wasn't coming here.
That, and what was Ohio St? His first dream school? SU only became his dream school when JAB hired Griffin.

OttoinGrotto Not here to argue dude. G League teams would like to develop players that would be in their program for years to come. These coaches don't want to be G-League coaches forever, they want to get wins/get noticed so they'd get a better gig. They're not looking to develop a kid that will be there for a year and look to get drafted by a different franchise. It does no good to them.

So what is the G League? Is a G league team the equivalent of the Syracuse Chiefs or of the old International league Baltimore Orioles: an independent team that would sell their players contracts to major league teams for big money when they were fully developed when the Orioles wanted to?
Jack Dunn (baseball) - Wikipedia

What if the G league team wants more than one year on Bazley's contract?

Shouldn't the staff at least be in touch with possible options, even if they don't end up being needed? Maybe there's too much involved in that, but it seems like we're constantly getting caught off guard even though we've got to know anything can happen these days. I'm sure there's plenty going on behind the scenes beyond what any of us know.
There was a greater chance of space debris landing on the Melo Center than there was of Bazley deciding to leave for the G League the day after playing in the McDonald's game.

Last edited:
if the title of this thread were a Jeopardy answer, my question would be "what is an article I won't likely read?"
Read it anyway. Jeter has a nice bunch of writers over there helping people get out their message and/or do a little damage control on their brand.

That's a pretty cool article.

Written from a very mature perspective for a 17 year old.
That's probably because Bazeley didn't write it.
Most of the PT articles are ghost-written.

NY Times magazine had a really good article a few weeks ago.
It refers to the fascinating piece "written" by Dion Waiters as possibly the best thing they've ever done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/magazine/what-happens-when-athletes-do-the-sportswriting.html

As for the Syracuse reference in the Bazeley article...it plays as an obvious afterthought.
He's trying to take care of #1...which is fine.
But that doesn't mean you should ignore obligations you may have to others...such as reasonable notice.
Pretty sure he wouldn't have liked it if SU suddenly yanked his scholarship offer.

I don't think anyone in his inner circle took the time to carefully consider the pros and cons associated with the various routes he might take to the NBA.
Are there any pros at all other than not having to do school work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom