Darius Kelly Commits! | Syracusefan.com

Darius Kelly Commits!

I always like when we bring people in named Kelly. Must be a high class kid.

I think he fits Schaffers D perfectly if these stats are true on the highlight page:
40 yd - 4.35 sec
Vertical leap - 38 inches
Height - 5'11"
Bench - 300 lb

Seems under the radar - potential is there. Yes welcome aboard!

Must be a really good athlete. Plays safety, punt returns, etc...Looks like on the defensive side he can really hit. More depth is a good thing, and who knows maybe he will be good enough to start. I thought that was an area of strength for next year.

I think he fits Schaffers D perfectly if these stats are true on the highlight page:
40 yd - 4.35 sec
Vertical leap - 38 inches
Height - 5'11"
Bench - 300 lb

Seems under the radar - potential is there. Yes welcome aboard!

I'm always skeptical when I see elite 40 times like this reported, but if he is really that fast this is a nice "get." Also a position of need.

Highlight films do not necessarily translate to success on the D1 level, but his seems clear. The kid is an athlete, even played some running back. DB/KR and short yard package runner? I think this is a good pickup. I mean he looks like a bigger and faster Wilkes.

I posted this before on Kelly.

1st Team JUCO All Conference
55 Tackles
3 forced fumbles
3 fumble returns
1 interception
3 pass breakups

Special Teams:
20 Returns for 484 yards no TDs

Looks like he’ll be another option for us returning kicks.

Offensively:
Had 9 carries for 72 yards

I know highlight videos can be very deceptive, but this was pretty impressive.

The 2 big take aways that I was impressed with was
1) He appears to take great angles when going for tackle/ball carrier which is a very underrated aspect that often leads to big plays for the offense when the safety/last line of defense takes bad angles.
I loved the play early in the highlight where he came up and basically broke down and watched as runner cut back across middle then Kelly went and attacked him and made the tackle. He easily could have went charging straight ahead to where the runner was at the time and it then probably gets taken to the house.

2) This is even more difficult to get the feel of after a highlight film, but he does appear to have good ball skills in either going and getting the ball (int) or for pass breakups. The whole story isn't shown because it's a highlight video but just by the sheer number of times he was getting his hand on the ball in highlights from 1 or 2 seasons shows that he appears to have a knack for it.

Three years to play two. Committed during a Marrone/Adkins tag team in-home meeting.

JUCO DB out of North Carolina, by way of Arizona.
Coming to Syracuse and filling a need is all we can ask. JUCOs are welcomed experienced post high schoolplayers that can greatly assist a program while it searches for more players at the position of need. I think the junior college route is smart and justifiable.:cool:

He reminds me a lot of Orlando Fisher and Kelly I believe to be the better athlete. Fisher wasn't returning kicks or carrying the ball at Nassau.

Fisher turned out to be a pretty solid player for us. Kelly is for sure going to add some much needed experience and athleticism to the secondary.

He reminds me a lot of Orlando Fisher and Kelly I believe to be the better athlete. Fisher wasn't returning kicks or carrying the ball at Nassau.

Fisher turned out to be a pretty solid player for us. Kelly is for sure going to add some much needed experience and athleticism to the secondary.

And special teams.

about all i can tell is that he wont be afraid to run single high safety as that looks like all they play

i was excited when I saw his highlights the other day. Didnt want to comment and get you guys all pumped if he wasnt comin here. He is a player. Glad we were able to flip him. Makes you wonder why he didnt recieve more offers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom