Day Eleven Spring Practice: Thurs. April 13, 2017 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Day Eleven Spring Practice: Thurs. April 13, 2017

Alabama's D-line. Notice how often they're not actually in the backfield? Also, notice how long the DL has before the QB throws. Then, notice the nice work by Alabama's DBs.
Great point. Are you saying they are not as good as advertised or is there some strategy I'm missing about not getting through gaps? I was thinking he did a good job getting his hands up and then he batted two passes. Best I can tell the D-Line is designed to stuff the run and the d-backs are left alone to cover the pass. This should free up the LBs, no?

Great point. Are you saying they are not as good as advertised or is there some strategy I'm missing about not getting through gaps? I was thinking he did a good job getting his hands up and then he batted two passes. Best I can tell the D-Line is designed to stuff the run and the d-backs are left alone to cover the pass. This should free up the LBs, no?
Oh, they're as good as advertised. What I'm saying is that it takes a good 4-7 seconds, on average, for a good DL to put pressure on a QB. The DBs need to give them that time.

BTW, notice yards gained after the catch? Wasn't much, if any. Didn't see a single receiver dragging DBs several yards down field. Alabama is so good not because their players are all 5 stars (though it certainly helps), they're so good because they don't make many mistakes. They play almost perfect football. Every kid on that field knows their job, and does it, play after play.

Oh, they're as good as advertised. What I'm saying is that it takes a good 4-7 seconds, on average, for a good DL to put pressure on a QB. The DBs need to give them that time.

BTW, notice yards gained after the catch? Wasn't much, if any. Didn't see a single receiver dragging DBs several yards down field. Alabama is so good not because their players are all 5 stars (though it certainly helps), they're so good because they don't make many mistakes. They play almost perfect football. Every kid on that field knows their job, and does it, play after play.
I'm hardly an expert but that seems rather high to me. I'd think anything over 5 secs is pretty subpar. I recall reading/hearing somewhere that 2.8 secs is widely considered the optimal amount of pocket time, from snap to release, for a college QB.

2nd paragraph was really good insight & encouraging.

Totally agree on the RAC observation. Each knowing their job was part of what I saw as well. I guess I see it as the DBs holding up the D-Line. Wisconsin was taking chunks of field, but not scoring. That D-Line must have stuffed the run in the red zone.

I'm hardly an expert but that seems rather high to me. I'd think anything over 5 secs is pretty subpar. I recall reading/hearing somewhere that 2.8 secs is widely considered the optimal amount of pocket time, from snap to release, for a college QB.

2nd paragraph was really good insight & encouraging.
Anything right around 5 seconds is actually pretty good. Have yet to see ANY front 3 or 4 get pressure on a QB within 3 seconds on average.

Anything right around 5 seconds is actually pretty good. Have yet to see ANY front 3 or 4 get pressure on a QB within 3 seconds on average.
I trust your acumen. I guess it just doesn't seem like that long watching from the stands/couch.

knowing.jpg

I trust your acumen. I guess it just doesn't seem like that long watching from the stands/couch.

View attachment 95728

For most passes of 10-15 yards (or shorter), 3 seconds in the pocket is all that's usually needed. Next time you watch a game, time it. You'll find that most sacks by an interior DL will happen roughly 4+ seconds into the play. Now, if there's tons of blitzing going on, that's an entirely different situation.