DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Based on what some folks alluded to, it sounds as if whatever OSU was offering Carter, our collectives could/would match or beat. Same guys for Duce and what he's been offered. Anyone know if that's accurate-ish?

Also, for Carter, it’s not 100% about NIL

IF he goes to OSU and is their starting safety he’s almost guaranteed a job in the NFL which is what I think this move is more about.

IF he goes to OSU and is their starting safety he’s almost guaranteed a job in the NFL which is what I think this move is more about.
That was my initial thought originally and it still is. Many here are saying he left for NIL because his family is in a very difficult situation but that seems to be based on rumors.

If that was his reason, more than understandable of course. But talking as if it is fact should be done so with great trepidation as none of us know unless he has said so himself. For all we know, he may not appreciate such speculation particularly if it’s not true.

Strongly disagree. Gus Edwards averaged 6 touches a game at Miami because they had depth at running back. He averages almost 10 touches a game in the NFL. Justin Fields transferred because he wasn't playing. He's one of the best young QBs in the league. Jalen Hurts transferred because he wasn't playing. He's one of the best young QBs in the league. College football has more politics because of boosters, feeder schools, relationships with high school coaches etc. and you know that. A kid could get buried on a depth chart at OSU for a number of reasons, but transfer and shine at some school like Cuse, and end up getting drafted.
Those are unique situations. Those were top 5 QB's that went to other power house teams that made the playoffs. Im glad you brought up Gus. He is a good example of what I am trying to say. Gus Edwards running for 700 yards his senior year didnt raise his profile all that much. He didnt get drafted. At Miami he was already known for being a big back that can run. He was in a crowded back field. Going to rutgers allowed him to get more touches but was that the difference in him making the NFL? IMO his God given ability and work ethic was the bigger factor. Thats what got him on that initial roster. Then he made the most of his opportunity. Being all acc and getting drafted guarantees you nothing unless you are a round 1-3 guy. Even with that you can be out the league in 3 years.

My question for you. Do you think going against guys like Marvin Harrison jr everyday better prepares you to make a NFL roster?

That was my initial thought originally and it still is. Many here are saying he left for NIL because his family is in a very difficult situation but that seems to be based on rumors.

If that was his reason, more than understandable of course. But talking as if it is fact should be done so with great trepidation as none of us know unless he has said so himself. For all we know, he may not appreciate such speculation particularly if it’s not true.
A few posters said Carter said that on one of the Mob podcasts. My guess is if he did it would be easy to verify.

I can’t imagine this number is accurate. Ohio St collectives paid $50k/2yrs for a lacrosse defender last summer. They sure are paying more for a football DB
What did the lacrosse player have to do for the $?

You also have gymnasts and female basketball players making six figures and more because they're young and attractive with the belief they'll be able to sell product (data has proven this is false). Everyone's value is not the same and there are going to be different factors which determines who gets what.

Those are unique situations. Those were top 5 QB's that went to other power house teams that made the playoffs. Im glad you brought up Gus. He is a good example of what I am trying to say. Gus Edwards running for 700 yards his senior year didnt raise his profile all that much. He didnt get drafted. At Miami he was already known for being a big back that can run. He was in a crowded back field. Going to rutgers allowed him to get more touches but was that the difference in him making the NFL? IMO his God given ability and work ethic was the bigger factor. Thats what got him on that initial roster. Then he made the most of his opportunity. Being all acc and getting drafted guarantees you nothing unless you are a round 1-3 guy. Even with that you can be out the league in 3 years.

My question for you. Do you think going against guys like Marvin Harrison jr everyday better prepares you to make a NFL roster?

Id say going against Harrison will for sure make him better, iron sharpens iron. What I don't know is fit, depth, favoritism etc. I'm not saying Carter won't start or that he won't show out. But it's still somewhat a gamble. goes both ways though. If hendon hooker didn't transfer he probably doesn't get any attention for the draft. Now he's gonna go in the 1st or 2nd round draft pick

This is ridiculous. Andre Cisco, starting safety, was projected as a Day 1 pick before he got hurt. If you are good, you will get a job at the next level. He was being scouted as a sophomore and had NFL teams coming to practice to see him. Cisco is the starting free safety in the NFL.

Carter had a spectacular game vs Clemson who challenges OSU near annually.

Those who don’t think he has what it takes to start at OSU are incorrect.

This is a move that could get him day 1 looks.

Jahad’s a big time college fb player. Hope he finds the success he’s due.

Id say going against Harrison will for sure make him better, iron sharpens iron. What I don't know is fit, depth, favoritism etc. I'm not saying Carter won't start or that he won't show out. But it's still somewhat a gamble. goes both ways though. If hendon hooker didn't transfer he probably doesn't get any attention for the draft. Now he's gonna go in the 1st or 2nd round draft pick
Yes its a risk for sure. Imo, If he cant outshine DB's at OSU then he can't outshine NFL DB's to make a roster. Each transfer is taking a risk. It has worked for some and hasnt worked for others. Hooker was a starter at VT and went to a Sec school. He bet on his self and balled out. If Hooker had gotten beat out by Milton at Tennessee then the chances of making the NFL would be extremely low. Beating him out and balling out is what got him in the position he's in now. That's what Carter is trying to do.

You also have gymnasts and female basketball players making six figures and more because they're young and attractive with the belief they'll be able to sell product (data has proven this is false). Everyone's value is not the same and there are going to be different factors which determines who gets what.
I think the potential for non-revenue sport athletes to benefit from NIL is one of the best parts of all of this.

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard the story of Jahad's family yet. Can somebody describe what the Ohio State NIL money is going to do for them - that the Syracuse NIL money can't?

I’m veering away from this current conversation just to mention that psycho OSU fans who I know are pretty excited about adding Carter.

I don't necessarily disagree, but if he's a multi-year starting safety at Syracuse who was on Ohio State's radar, I'm sure he was on the NFL's radar too. Not like DBs at Syracuse get overlooked in recent history.

Everyone has their theories, and some probably know a lot more than others, but maybe he just wanted to play in front of 100,000+ on a tradition rich team that's always in the thick of the playoffs. Our best crowd, while quite loud, is less than half of Ohio State's average crowd.

All right, let's get real here.
  • Certainly, Jahad had access to NIL money at SU - more than any family would expect their college-aged son to provide for their welfare.
  • Certainly, he has access to more NIL money at Ohio State than at SU.
  • Certainly, he has already been noticed by NFL scouts for his play at SU.
Can't we just say he left for a bigger stage with more money, without debating a backstory that none of us knows?

Strongly disagree. Gus Edwards averaged 6 touches a game at Miami because they had depth at running back. He averages almost 10 touches a game in the NFL. Justin Fields transferred because he wasn't playing. He's one of the best young QBs in the league. Jalen Hurts transferred because he wasn't playing. He's one of the best young QBs in the league. College football has more politics because of boosters, feeder schools, relationships with high school coaches etc. and you know that. A kid could get buried on a depth chart at OSU for a number of reasons, but transfer and shine at some school like Cuse, and end up getting drafted.
Slightly off topic. But reading this it hit me that Gus Edwards is the one that got blocked from going to Syracuse and we recruited hard. Idk why the light never went off in my head until I just read your post. Good for him making it to the league and being successful. Remember following his recruitment closely.

Some of you are seriously underestimating how good Carter is and how few NFL caliber S there are in the NCAA right now. Others are seriously underestimating how significant the advantage of going to OSU vs SU is. Carter will practice against Harrison everyday, start for a NC-caliber team, and play against some of the best pro-style offenses in the country at OSU. If he plays well in 2023 he’s looking at jumping from a Day 2-3 pick to bring a Day 1-2 pick with significantly more money guaranteed in his rookie contract.

Yes, Andre Cisco went first round at SU. Andre Cisco was also the best S in his class from his freshman year on and it wasn’t even really close. Carter is good, but Cisco was an AA with great vision, ball skills, and his run support is elite to boot. The S that made the NFL from SU were AA caliber (hello Darius, Jones, and Cisco). At OSU Carter just needs to start to be a day 2-3 pick. He will be day 1-2 if he’s all conference at OSU.

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard the story of Jahad's family yet. Can somebody describe what the Ohio State NIL money is going to do for them - that the Syracuse NIL money can't?

Well they are named the BUCKeyes for a reason.

I'm curious if Carter has the same type of year at OSU that he had at SU if he'll be 1st team Big 10? Sometimes the name OSU is all you need for that bump.

Some of you are seriously underestimating how good Carter is and how few NFL caliber S there are in the NCAA right now. Others are seriously underestimating how significant the advantage of going to OSU vs SU is. Carter will practice against Harrison everyday, start for a NC-caliber team, and play against some of the best pro-style offenses in the country at OSU. If he plays well in 2023 he’s looking at jumping from a Day 2-3 pick to bring a Day 1-2 pick with significantly more money guaranteed in his rookie contract.

Yes, Andre Cisco went first round at SU. Andre Cisco was also the best S in his class from his freshman year on and it wasn’t even really close. Carter is good, but Cisco was an AA with great vision, ball skills, and his run support is elite to boot. The S that made the NFL from SU were AA caliber (hello Darius, Jones, and Cisco). At OSU Carter just needs to start to be a day 2-3 pick. He will be day 1-2 if he’s all conference at OSU.
He’s good and would have been drafted here. He did it to help his family financially. That’s the main upside and there’s not much more to it.

Too bad Cisco went in the 3rd round

This happens to be Damar Hamlins agent and represents a lot of players from the Pittsburgh area. Amongst many I found this tweet interesting.
Lot's of Uncle Dennis' that don't know squat are fumbling the bag for these kids

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom