DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

It’s almost like some of us have been so beaten down over the years they don’t think our best defensive player from last year can’t go into Ohio St as a Sr and start after starting here for 3 years.
I don’t think he was our best defensive player, granted the difficulty in comparing defensive tackles to linebackers to corners and safeties.

I dont understand the thought that if he doesnt play as much at OSU it hurts his chances at the NFL. If he can't start at Ohio st then he is not making a NFL roster anyways.
I’m with you but in a one year vacuum there are outliers.

Completely different situation but I believe an example of JR Heeter’s point is Marvin Harrison Jr couldn’t sniff the field last year with Olave, Garrett Wilson, and the other guy ahead of him and he’s shown to be not too shabby. Yes, MHjr was a true frosh and surely he developed a lot from where he prob was last year but in a one year vacuum you never know. I’m assuming Carter is basically shooting for one and done there (yes he does have 2 yrs of eligibility left I believe) but he could legitimately be stuck behind 2 studs and not be able to show out which in turn would hurt his draft prospectus even though he may be that level of player.

Good luck and I wish well for him though. He battled here for 3 years as a heck of a player for us and I appreciate him for that.

but he could legitimately be stuck behind 2 studs and not be able to show out which in turn would hurt his draft prospectus even though he may be that level of player.
Exactly. If he is stuck behind two guys at Ohio st then why do you think he can beat out NFL dudes fighting for a spot on a 53 man roster? The goal is to make a roster. Not just to get drafted. Getting drafted guarantees you nothing.

Last edited:
25 -50k tops I’m guessing. His agent or advisor or whatever they go by has a whole lot of interesting tweets about these kids demanding 6 figures and they are finding out only a select few get that. Even for a top safety in this market I don’t think it’s any life changing money.
I can’t imagine this number is accurate. Ohio St collectives paid $50k/2yrs for a lacrosse defender last summer. They sure are paying more for a football DB

Last edited:
It’s almost like some of us have been so beaten down over the years they don’t think one of our best defensive player last year can’t go into Ohio St as a Sr and start after starting here for 3 years.
Probably right
I don’t think he was our best defensive player, granted the difficulty in comparing defensive tackles to linebackers to corners and safeties.
however, I think Carter had good games at times where everyone looked really really bad. That isn’t a knock on him at all, but something to consider.

I’m with you but in a one year vacuum there are outliers.

Completely different situation but I believe an example of JR Heeter’s point is Marvin Harrison Jr couldn’t sniff the field last year with Olave, Garrett Wilson, and the other guy ahead of him and he’s shown to be not too shabby. Yes, MHjr was a true frosh and surely he developed a lot from where he prob was last year but in a one year vacuum you never know. I’m assuming Carter is basically shooting for one and done there (yes he does have 2 yrs of eligibility left I believe) but he could legitimately be stuck behind 2 studs and not be able to show out which in turn would hurt his draft prospectus even though he may be that level of player.

Good luck and I wish well for him though. He battled here for 3 years as a heck of a player for us and I appreciate him for that.
There is some risk that OSU brings in more safety help via the portal but maybe they told them they aren’t. It will definitely be harder to bring in experienced talent now that Carter is in the fold. I think it’s more likely the situation is similar to the one you described but Carter is the talented experienced player that plays and the talented Frosh DB can’t get on the field much because of the known experienced talent ahead of him in Carter.

NIL has made this on the table instead of under the table. These are tied to SSNs and bank accounts. The IRS knows who's getting what.
In theory yes but a lot of this money from OSU and TAMU and Bama is coming from boosters. Those guys are used to under the table deals so I see no reason they would change now for the reasons I mentioned above.

Dude has started every year he's played in college, has ACC accolades but people are worried he cant beat out 18 year old freshmans that havent proven anything?
My understanding is he has a clear path to starting and wouldn’t have gone if he didn’t.

not sure what it is he got, but if we can’t match $50k then we’re doomed.

If the market really is $50k and wietzman wants to pay a kid $1m per year, why not give 20 kids $50k and we’ll be cooking. Help out more kids that way anyways.
Pretty sure he got at least 3x that amount

We have a solid collective here at Syracuse that stopped both Mikel and Tucker from leaving cuse last season with some big $$$$$ offers from other programs

I’m not sure why everyone thinks we don’t have the collectives to pay money and that we just let a guy like Carter walk
This is interesting to hear bc I don’t know anything about our collective. I have 2 questions:
- what do you think our ceiling is at for a single player next season (best case scenario)

- how does the collective work? Is it invitation only to high net worth indivs or can anyone contribute? Does the collective decide who they pay or do the specific donors?

Am I not seeing something……Carter was a good player for us … very good, Ohio State will have 2 or 3 , 4 or 5 star kids coming in plus what they already have . Doesn’t add up to me . Seems a risky cash grab.
I dont think he had a choice. If your family is hurting and you have an opportunity to take care of them. TO FIX THINGS. That is all you think about.
His families situation is real. Probably scary real. Something many of us have fortunately never experienced. So im sad he is leaving Syracuse but proud of him for doing the right thing for his family.
The point is i dont think he did this at all for himself. I hope he does well and most importantly got paid enough to stop the hurt for his family.

If the market really is $50k and wietzman wants to pay a kid $1m per year, why not give 20 kids $50k and we’ll be cooking. Help out more kids that way anyways.

This is interesting to hear bc I don’t know anything about our collective. I have 2 questions:
- what do you think our ceiling is at for a single player next season (best case scenario)

- how does the collective work? Is it invitation only to high net worth indivs or can anyone contribute? Does the collective decide who they pay or do the specific donors?
Here is the website for one.

Here is information about the other.

In theory yes but a lot of this money from OSU and TAMU and Bama is coming from boosters. Those guys are used to under the table deals so I see no reason they would change now for the reasons I mentioned above.
It has to be tied to something. Whether it be charitable work or selling a product. It's not as simple as a check. John Ruiz created an app that has 100 downloads in the Google Play store to make sure Miami is clean. The players he has paid are promoting a product no one uses or has heard of besides them mentioning it on their social media.

I’ll be 100% honest don’t know the ceiling.

As far as how it works, I’ll link the one collectives website here. Should have most of the information you’re looking for….

I will say, as far as donors, I know the two big ones we have are definitely only looking for high end donors. However, 315 foundation is always taking donations.

I’ll be 100% honest don’t know the ceiling.

As far as how it works, I’ll link the one collectives website here. Should have most of the information you’re looking for….

I will say, as far as donors, I know the two big ones we have are definitely only looking for high end donors. However, 315 foundation is always taking donations.

unrelated to this one but I bet in a few years, we’re going to see stories of rampant fraud at a few of these collectives. The possibility to rip off unsuspecting sports fans is too high.

The market isn’t 50k

This happens to be Danar Hamlins agent and represents a lot of players from the Pittsburgh area. Amongst many I found this tweet interesting.
This is my gut feeling on why things have been so insane for the first couple years of this and why things will settle down over the next couple years. There is a market being established and for most kids the NIL money won't be enough to overcome other factors.

I dont understand the thought that if he doesnt play as much at OSU it hurts his chances at the NFL. If he can't start at Ohio st then he is not making a NFL roster anyways.
Strongly disagree. Gus Edwards averaged 6 touches a game at Miami because they had depth at running back. He averages almost 10 touches a game in the NFL. Justin Fields transferred because he wasn't playing. He's one of the best young QBs in the league. Jalen Hurts transferred because he wasn't playing. He's one of the best young QBs in the league. College football has more politics because of boosters, feeder schools, relationships with high school coaches etc. and you know that. A kid could get buried on a depth chart at OSU for a number of reasons, but transfer and shine at some school like Cuse, and end up getting drafted.

This happens to be Danar Hamlins agent and represents a lot of players from the Pittsburgh area. Amongst many I found this tweet interesting.

Based on what some folks alluded to, it sounds as if whatever OSU was offering Carter, our collectives could/would match or beat. Same guys for Duce and what he's been offered. Anyone know if that's accurate-ish?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom