DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State

I definitely agree with your point, but as I remember, there were a few reputable posters who mentioned at the time that Ja'Had had pretty significant immediate needs to help his family that might have made even the most rational of us think short term instead of long term.
Also, if he can’t start at Ohio State, he’s not making it in the NFL anyway. No amount of playing time at SU is going to change that.

I definitely agree with your point. But as I remember, there were a few reputable posters who mentioned at the time that Ja'Had had pretty significant immediate needs to help his family that might have made even the most rational of us think short term instead of long term.
and we don't know if it was a "small" pay day or legit cash. We also don't know what his NFL future was. We would all take the cash.

Wasn’t there an article that Fran sees Deuce as an NFL safety?
Yeah I think Fran said the move was best for the longevity of his career. Viewing it from a purely fan perspective though, Duce is a little small and a tad slow in that deep safety position. That would fit Carter's game much better, and he had a hell of a 2022 season here in a similar type of role. Duce's best moments of his career have been playing outside corner, he got picked apart in the slot at LSU last year (at least when I watched). Corner is also IMO the weakest unit on our team, and Duce could really help that unit, so that's why bringing Carter back would make sense to me. But like I said the coaches see these guys every day and know far more than I know, I am merely sharing my thoughts.

If he is willing to fight for spot...sure bring him in. I assume 1-2 more guys will portal but I think Fran expects he only can bring in 2-3 more guys.

Jahad's timing might be off though.

Also, if he can’t start at Ohio State, he’s not making it in the NFL anyway. No amount of playing time at SU is going to change that.
I agree that scouts will use that as a knock against Jahad, but if he produces at his next stop then scouts won't ignore that tape.

Yeah I think Fran said the move was best for the longevity of his career. Viewing it from a purely fan perspective though, Duce is a little small and a tad slow in that deep safety position. That would fit Carter's game much better, and he had a hell of a 2022 season here in a similar type of role. Duce's best moments of his career have been playing outside corner, he got picked apart in the slot at LSU last year (at least when I watched). Corner is also IMO the weakest unit on our team, and Duce could really help that unit, so that's why bringing Carter back would make sense to me. But like I said the coaches see these guys every day and know far more than I know, I am merely sharing my thoughts.
I agree unless Ja’had is completely shot from injuries he almost certainly would be better at the position.

Like Duce I thought he punched above his weight getting a scholarship from a program like that that gets tons of 4 and 5 star guys. Think we have the right one coming back of the two. Carter won't slip far though he's from Virginia and will definitely end up at an ACC school and be a starter. Probably wont be us but if he comes back and doesn't win a starting job so what that means we have better options. Its a perfectly fine use of a scholarship if Fran thinks so.

He's a DB coach I don't think he'll have many recruiting misses in terms of portal secondary players.

He was one of the better players in a very good Syracuse secondary. He was arguably the best safety in the portal last year. He may not be a superstar but he should be very solid. He has NFL potential and past production numbers despite some injury history

I don’t remember what his injuries were at SU but last spring at OSU spring he got injured and was in a boot. The fact that some 4 and 5 star players at OSU took advantage of a lot of reps in the spring and held into their spots is not really surprising.

I like our current projected starters but we need depth. Our safety depth and talent is definitely not so good that we shouldn’t pursue this. Would Carter win a starting roll I’m not sure. But what are the chances we have no injuries while playing 5 DB’s? He would certainly get a lot of run.
He is a great high character kid and a good leader. He has to be hungry after this past season. If he wants back at SU I’d certainly take him. It’s a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom