DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State

I think teams in the NFL have money and having someone else tell you who they think is playing well or poorly is just good business.. Given the numbers you can then tailor your assessment of the numbers they provide. Sometimes might think the blocking stuff is junk but they like the cover/tackling stuff. who knows

I don’t disagree with Carter over Simmons but as to grades it’s many things factored in. Simmons led the team in pass breakups and he also led the team in completion % meaning how many passes were completed vs the number of times he was targeted. So maybe Simmons is better than we think.
The thing to also look at is pass coverage is a function of many things..

If you are covering a good WR they will be throwing at you no matter the coverage you display and chances are the good WR is still going to catch some balls even with good coverage.. In college the throwing is not as elite so even poorly covered balls you might be able to recover from mistakes.

That surprises me.

When they tried to run wide to his side, it seemed like he got penetration and blew up the ball all the time. He might not have always made the tackle but turned it inside or delayed execution so someone else could.

And he made tackles or assisted on plays far from his area all the time.

I would be really surprised if he doesn't end up a long time starter in the NFL.
He was excellent against the run.

I don’t disagree with Carter over Simmons but as to grades it’s many things factored in. Simmons led the team in pass breakups and he also led the team in completion % meaning how many passes were completed vs the number of times he was targeted. So maybe Simmons is better than we think.
Simmons is a lot better than people give him credit for. Both he and jahad had a monster game against Clemson.

He doesn’t make big hits but is very reliable. He’s like the Josh illoa of the defense. Played well when he was in but everyone wants to talk about who is going to come in and take his spot.

FWIW, according to PFF our top 10 defenders were ranked as such.

Wax
Jones
Chestnut
Sparrow
J. Simmons
Johnson
Williams
Barron
Carter
Linton

And we have lost 50% of that list…

Jones
Chestnut
Williams
Carter
Linton

One of the things I liked about Tony White was that he played a lot of players on defense. With him in charge, it has been rare that a player has left and there wasn't a player or two around who also has played some at the departed player's position.

Both Ja'Had and Chestnut were banged up a fair amount and it was not unusual for either to have to leave games for a while when they got patched up. Both player really hard and sacrificed their bodies to make plays.

Anyway, I agree, we have a number of athletes who I think are capable of filling in for Ja'Had at his safety position. I don't think we will see a big drop off there.

It is harder at CB. We lost Garrett and Duce. Johnson and Wilson got a lot of playing time last year, especially Johnson and that will help. I thought Johnson looked like the most improved player on defense in the spring game. Hard to make judgements from a scrimmage but I was impressed by him. Thought Wilson got abused some, remain worried about whether he is big enough and tough enough to cover ACC WRs.

That said, liked what I saw from Bellamy. He again is a guy without a great build and I worry about that but he was playing tough and physical and it looked like he has some of the Duce junk dog attitude in him.

And Peterson looked good to me as well. Delaine didn't play, and I really haven't seen him play but I think there is reason to think he is going to be good. Might be another guy who needs a year in the weight room before he will be ready.

Interesting.

I thought Garrett, when he was playing, was our best defender. By a large margin. Thought he was having an All American type season. Really good pass defender and fantastic with run support. He was making a crazy number of tackles per game for a CB.
Jones would be my number 2. Warrior. I think I would put Wax number 3. Those guys made a lot of big plays.

Thought Carter and Barron improved a lot over the course of the year. Thought they were very close and not too far below Jones and Wax.

I would put Duce just below these guys. He had a leg problem, was it a bad hamstring? Not sure. But he never had great speed and the leg problem made things worse. He was a step behind a lot on pass coverage and got beat quite a bit. Was very good with run support, as always. It seemed like he had to come out of games a lot. Would get into a big collision and have to sit out a series. Did not play up to his potential dealing with injuries.

Simmons is another guy who got better but when the other team made a big completion at a key moment, it seemed like Simmons was beat a lot. I would rate him lower than PFF.

I think Darton and Okechukwu should be on this list. Those guys had good years. Our defense asks them to tie up OL and the metrics PFF is using might be overstating tackles and overrating LBs some.

That said, I generally watch the games live. Period. Don't spend time reviewing the film. It is very possible I am missing a lot.
Agree with all of this Tom. If we could find another kid in the portal to be a #2 CB that would make me feel a whole lot better. Not sure the others are quite ready for that role. I think they are more suited for depth right now.

And agree on the metrics regarding our DL guys. Don't think they show it accurately enough when we've only got 3 down linemen in there. And I have no idea how they could possibly have Garrett that low. He was a beast and their ranking is just flat out wrong. Not sure what would be causing that.

I would argue Carter was one of the most improved players in the entire ACC and he was a playmaker which teams need. I would also say Carter was better than Duce last year and probably our best defender when available. Best part is he raised his play against the best in the conference. Anyone have any doubts re-watch his Clemson game. We don’t have many guys on the team that can match talent/physical abilities man to man and he was one of them. Not directed at you but all this no big deal thing because he left is ridiculous. Just say it we lost our biggest playmaker on defense. He was just as good, if not better, at his position, as Wax/Jones were at theirs.
I agree that Carter was a solid player. But he played a lot and his play stuck out in a small stretch for a hand full of big plays. Playing that often you should look good at times. I just don't think he was as consistently good as you say last year. I think you are overstating his production a bit. He was good but we lose good players every year. That is college football. I think we can find a way to adequately replace his production.

Edit: Just want to add to this. Even though we can find a way to replace him, I really didn't want to lose him. He was a real good player and a great leader and example on the team. And he really seems to be a great kid.

Last edited:
I could ask 100 people who won the championship in college soccer and I’m not sure anyone would get the answer correct.
Of course you would get some people in Syracuse to get it correct but not around the country as a whole.Lacrosse would be the same thing.

The type of kid we recruit to SU would know, or at least a nice % would.

If Carter was coming back he’d be being talked up about being arguably our best defender. Now that he left he’d be 5th or 6th best. What a joke.
Flipping this on its head, Carter is only being called "the best defender" because he left and the whiners need something to complain about in the offseason.

Remember when this thread was about Ja'Had Carter?

It will be again.
Then at that moment silence fell and slowly the storm clouds started to part and rays of sunshine started to fall on the board. Then some wise guy asks who is Ray and I knew all was right once again.

Flipping this on its head, Carter is only being called "the best defender" because he left and the whiners need something to complain about in the offseason.
There’s plenty to complain about whether Carter stayed or left.

That surprises me.

When they tried to run wide to his side, it seemed like he got penetration and blew up the ball all the time. He might not have always made the tackle but turned it inside or delayed execution so someone else could.

And he made tackles or assisted on plays far from his area all the time.

I would be really surprised if he doesn't end up a long time starter in the NFL.
Me too I thought Williams was one of the better tackling corners you will see. Must be all his big hits blinded my eyes.

I agree that Carter was a solid player. But he played a lot and his play stuck out in a small stretch for a hand full of big plays. Playing that often you should look good at times. I just don't think he was as consistently good as you say last year. I think you are overstating his production a bit. He was good but we lose good players every year. That is college football. I think we can find a way to adequately replace his production.

Edit: Just want to add to this. Even though we can find a way to replace him, I really didn't want to lose him. He was a real good player and a great leader and example on the team. And he really seems to be a great kid.
I think we were watching 2 different things then honestly. I guess Ohio St agrees with me as well. Sure he’ll be replaced but not by a potential captain, team leader at worst, who we developed in the program from just another guy to the season he had last year. You want those guys you spent the time and effort that actually grow into all-league players. I don’t think that point can be argued.

I think we were watching 2 different things then honestly. I guess Ohio St agrees with me as well. Sure he’ll be replaced but not by a potential captain, team leader at worst, who we developed in the program from just another guy to the season he had last year. You want those guys you spent the time and effort that actually grow into all-league players. I don’t think that point can be argued.
I agree in that his leadership and character seem to be top notch and really we didn't want to lose that. And I think he is real good player. His numbers are down a bit in regards to tackles the past couple years. Not sure completely why but maybe he changed which safety position he played in 2021 and that led to some differences in tackle opportunities. He had a great freshman season. His second season was down and he had an injury reduced season. Then last year he did exceptional in a 2 or 3 game stretch but statically didn't produce a bunch other than those games. He was dynamite against Clemson and Pitt and had a pic in between those against Notre Dame. I think he is real good player. Not easy to replace and we likely will not replace him quite up to his level of play. But I don't think its quite as hard to replace him because we have more depth and talent on the roster at safety in my opinion as opposed to losing Chestnut at CB. Its certainly a loss but not as devastating is all.

1682527370634.png

1682527403775.png

Obviously I wish no ill-will on anyone. But, it just bums me out that these guys didn’t stay. I get the point of them transferring I do, just never feels good when you lose “your guy”. I want them to do well, but also I can’t muster up fake enthusiasm for them and their teams this year. I just am kinda “meh” to the whole situation.

Obviously I wish no ill-will on anyone. But, it just bums me out that these guys didn’t stay. I get the point of them transferring I do, just never feels good when you lose “your guy”. I want them to do well, but also I can’t muster up fake enthusiasm for them and their teams this year. I just am kinda “meh” to the whole situation.
just curious - do you cheer for the guys that portal in?

Of course, I am a Syracuse fan not an LSU or OSU of U South Carolina fan
I never liked Ohio State, Michigan is my second favorite team. So OSU is right behind Penn State in my book. LSU, I am ok with. My sister lives in LSU and she is a fan so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom