Class of 2024 - DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24) | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24)

I despise the cold now, but I'm in my 50s, which is why I currently live in Tampa FL. When I was 18-22 living in Syracuse, as a young guy, I loved it. It's also a soft landing when drinking too much.
I hated the cold and snow in my time upstate, but now I love it and hate we don't even get into the 20s that often.

For college students, it should be less about the snow, unless they like snow activities, and more about the cold. They don't have to snowblow or plow driveways. There are a ton of schools in places colder than Syracuse.
Yup buying a house, raising a family is not in 18 year old's thought process when deciding which school/city to attend.

lol complain to them.:) If it’s wrong I swear I didn’t make it up.

Well... you did kind of make it up. At least you made up your interpretation of the data. You posted a ranked listing of Syracuse winters and said that "rank" referred to "the number of cities that beat us." Which is, obviously, not accurate. Even in our least snowy winters we're somewhere near the top 10 for snowiest cities. Not 80 or 100. I assumed this was kind of well known around here.

I actually miss it as well. My siblings up in the Syracuse area think I am crazy when I say that. We are lucky if we get one or two slight dustings each year here in Georgia. I don't miss driving in it or shoveling that heavy slush at the end if the driveway, but I do wish we had more. Nothing like being outside in a heavy snow and hearing...silence.

I went to school on Saranac Lake for two years. I used to drive to class instead of making the five minute walk it was so damn cold.

It was hilarious to see the kids on my team from Miami and such who had no idea what they were signing up for the first time it really snowed.

Agree that it's overblown.

But man... I can't help but think that it could be a problem with the kids we have visiting this weekend. It's one thing to have snow. It's quite another to wake up and have just shy of a foot of snow that wasn't there that day before. What an impression.
What kids don't like snow? Many of the people I know that grew up in FL have never seen it and think it would be great.

I'm older than dirt and people my age think snow's appealing.

Probably not the best place to post but we all need to build momentum to sell out the home opener and the second game. Let’s do our part to get butts in the stands. I’m far ish away but may buy group seats to donate to boys and girls club or wherever King or Fran want so kids and caretakers can go.
I like this spirit but I always think these boys & girls club deals need to include some Dome Dollars to buy some food and drinks so it’s really a free and fulfilling experience

I've lived in Florida since '97 and I know plenty of people whose children grew up in Florida and sought out northern schools because they wanted to experience snow.

What kids don't like snow? Many of the people I know that grew up in FL have never seen it and think it would be great.

I'm older than dirt and people my age think snow's appealing.

That's a sweeping generalization. I live in Minneapolis, and several of the high school people I know who are my daughter's age have expressed that they can't wait to go away to college, to get away from extreme cold and experience something warmer. I don't believe those few data points represent everybody, but I do think that it suggests that many young people want to experience something different, or get away in general from where they grew up. Perhaps for some kids in Florida, that means going somewhere where they'll experience all four seasons.

But not all people like snow. And many people certainly don't like snow in large volumes.

And nothing better to reinforce goofy stereotypes than getting a foot dumped on the city overnight while a bunch of recruits are in town.

Might that appeal to some of them? Sure.

But that doesn't mean that ALL recruits would find a deluge appealing.

Hell, I lived in Arizona right after college. The novelty of the 115 degree + summer heat when I initially moved there was appealing, too. Less so after I'd lived there for 2 months.

Last edited:
That's a sweeping generalization. Not all people like snow. And many people certainly don't like snow in large volumes.

And nothing better to reinforce goofy stereotypes than getting a foot dumped on the city overnight while a bunch of recruits are in town.

Hell, I lived in Arizona right after college. The novelty of the 115 degree + summer heat when I initially moved there was appealing, too. Less so after I'd lived there for 2 months.
Because you have baby skin…

That's a sweeping generalization. Not all people like snow. And many people certainly don't like snow in large volumes.

OSU, PSU and Michigan seem to recruit pretty well and the winters there aren’t exactly warm. And they play outdoors in the fall and we don’t.

I think a lot more is made out of it than it is. Yeah you’re probably not taking runs outside in December and January in Syracuse if you’re in your right mind but you’re probably not doing that in Ann Arbor or State College at the same time either.

OSU, PSU and Michigan seem to recruit pretty well and the winters there aren’t exactly warm. And they play outdoors in the fall and we don’t.

I think a lot more is made out of it than it is. Yeah you’re probably not taking runs outside in December and January in Syracuse if you’re in your right mind but you’re probably not doing that in Ann Arbor or State College at the same time either.

Agreed, across the board -- but none of that has anything to do with my post.

I lived in Syracuse for the majority of my life -- I'm not knocking CNY or winter weather. But I DO push back on the notion that snow is somehow some kind of secret weapon benefitting SU with respect to recruiting.

It might appeal to some, and to others it might not.

Last edited:
I like this spirit but I always think these boys & girls club deals need to include some Dome Dollars to buy some food and drinks so it’s really a free and fulfilling experience
Good call!!!! Let me circle back and I will start a new post if I learn more. Not kidding.

That's a sweeping generalization. I live in Minneapolis, and several of the high school people I know who are my daughter's age have expressed that they can't wait to go away to college, to get away from extreme cold and experience something warmer. I don't believe those few data points represent everybody, but I do think that it suggests that many young people want to experience something different, or get away in general from where they grew up. Perhaps for some kids in Florida, that means going somewhere where they'll experience all four seasons.

But not all people like snow. And many people certainly don't like snow in large volumes.

I’ve never heard of anyone that found 115 degrees appealing.

The other part of this to me, is if he picked Georgia, for example, they'd probably ask about Kirby Smart or something like that.

If the sideline reporter actually wanted to give the kid a nice moment, he could've asked about Fran, or Kyle McCord's transfer, or anything else.

Instead it was just a canned "Did you know it snows in Syracuse LOL" question. And Barnes will have to remember that every single time he wants to re-live his moment.

When a kid commits to Arizona, Texas, Miami - heck- any southern school? I want to be the reporter that asks, "Does it being hotter than BALLS there factor into your decision?" Then I'll wish them well, on avoiding heat stroke, and casually remind them to hose down the elderly...

I’ve never heard of anyone that found 115 degrees appealing.
200w (2).gif