Class of 2024 - DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DB Marcellus Barnes (TN) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (1/6/24)

Agreed, across the board -- but none of that has anything to do with my post.

I lived in Syracuse for the majority of my life -- I'm not knocking CNY or winter weather. But I DO push back on the notion that snow is somehow some kind of secret weapon benefitting SU with respect to recruiting.

It might appeal to some, and to others it might not.
Snow IS a benefit if you make it one. Everything is in the positioning.

Name one player who has said they chose another school because Syracuse gets too much snow.

Because of global warming Syracuse weather is actually very nice. I grew up and have lived in different parts of the country and world. As a kid loved the snow but it was a ton. In college it was fun but too much. Now the spring comes sooner the fall is longer and the winter is milder. Weather shouldn't be a problem for Fran he knows who to target and sure we might miss out on a kid or two but because of the JMA it isn't an issue. Certainly not an excuse. Not to get political but having lived in the South a reason not to go to a school certainly isn't the weather. It might however be a cultural difference. Might be an underlying degree of racism, just saying I don't think I would be focused on the weather. Culture, true acceptance, inclusion those things matter. I think Frans got this.

Name one player who has said they chose another school because Syracuse gets too much snow.
Name one who's said that they came to Syracuse BECAUSE of the snow

Again, some kids might like it, some might not.

I'd have to believe that weather had or has, little to do with the kids we've signed lately. And I'm willing to concede that if the opposite were true and SU had 90-degrees and beaches, then perhaps yes, it would be seen as an attribute.
In fairness to ESPN and some of these recruiting sites and how they're reacting to suddenly seeing "Syracuse" popping up on their radar, this is fairly new to them. We haven't been relevant in any aspect of CFB for 2 decades. And yet here we are pulling in highly rated, sought after recruits and portals, and they don't yet know how to deal with it.
Since they can't answer the question "Why Syracuse", they resort to all the negative connotations that have evolved over 20+ years of mediocrity...and weather is always near the top of the list. Followed by "not enough of a recruiting base", and "no commitment to the program", blah blah blah
The more we win, in recruiting and on the field, then the narratives will HAVE to change. For right now, let 'em insinuate what they want. After all...they didn't know, it's not their fault!
Oh, wait.

I actually miss it as well. My siblings up in the Syracuse area think I am crazy when I say that. We are lucky if we get one or two slight dustings each year here in Georgia. I don't miss driving in it or shoveling that heavy slush at the end if the driveway, but I do wish we had more. Nothing like being outside in a heavy snow and hearing...silence.
I only miss it for my kids. I loved it as a kid and they don't get to experience it. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be a bad dad and stay south.

We have ourselves to blame for a lot of the snow talk. It's well known that if a Syracusian is in another area when it snows they will bring up the fact that this is a measly 3 inches and hardly counts as actual snow.
And we wear that badge proudly. Only problem is living in Missouri I’m supposed to be the snow/cold king and I’m now i can’t whine about being cold, if I do I get well aren’t you from Upstate NY? Yeah, I am but -10 windchill is freaking cold no matter where you are from.

True. But if we can get players that can enroll sooner and play their spring ball in Syracuse that is certainly a better option. They will get a better handle on the new Syracuse system and playbook as well as get better settled in on campus. If we are wanting players to compete for a starting roll this year, spring ball at SU makes it that much more likely.
It is very important to get players in as soon as possible. Not only are we installing 2 news schemes on both sides of the ball we are turning over a good portion of our roster. The longer you have to build that team chemistry the better. We all saw the class of transfers Colorado brought in and anyone that watched the Prime series on Amazom shows you can’t just bring in talent and expect it to work. I know we will bring/lose some kids after Spring but that only gives Fall camp to learn the offense and defense. Will be tough no matter who it is. The sooner we can get them in the better. We have to capitalize big time on next years schedule. As easy as that is 2025 is equally, if not more, harder.

It is very important to get players in as soon as possible. Not only are we installing 2 news schemes on both sides of the ball we are turning over a good portion of our roster. The longer you have to build that team chemistry the better. We all saw the class of transfers Colorado brought in and anyone that watched the Prime series on Amazom shows you can’t just bring in talent and expect it to work. I know we will bring/lose some kids after Spring but that only gives Fall camp to learn the offense and defense. Will be tough no matter who it is. The sooner we can get them in the better. We have to capitalize big time on next years schedule. As easy as that is 2025 is equally, if not more, harder.
Louisville is an example of it happening. 45 new players and had a great year. Let’s hope we can have the same kind of turn around.

Name one who's said that they came to Syracuse BECAUSE of the snow

Again, some kids might like it, some might not.
I moved away from Syracuse because of the snow. But I am a 50 year old out of shape banker who has never played a snap of football.

Saying something and thinking something are two different things. Has to be cold to snow, so there's that.

Agree that it's overblown.

But man... I can't help but think that it could be a problem with the kids we have visiting this weekend. It's one thing to have snow. It's quite another to wake up and have just shy of a foot of snow that wasn't there that day before. What an impression.
We only picked up a couple inches. This isn’t Buffalo ffs