Class of 2025 - DB Marcus Upton (NJ) Decommitted from Syracuse (6/19/24) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 DB Marcus Upton (NJ) Decommitted from Syracuse (6/19/24)

I have to be honest, I'm disappointed in the lack of any top-end talent in the '25 class. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid class, but there's no true top talent like I was hoping there'd be.. and that was before our best recruit decommitted. After how hot and fast things were in finalizing the '24 class, I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyways, in Fran I trust
I don't really agree with you but Fran is going to have to prove that he can win games for recruiting to really take the jump you are looking for. Minimum of 8-4 this season and the closer the season gets many of these higher end types will take a wait and see approach because I am sure that is the message being delivered by the competition

I have to be honest, I'm disappointed in the lack of any top-end talent in the '25 class. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid class, but there's no true top talent like I was hoping there'd be.. and that was before our best recruit decommitted. After how hot and fast things were in finalizing the '24 class, I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyways, in Fran I trust

This kid was our best recruit ?

This kid was our best recruit ?
According to 24/7. Though there are big discrepancies regarding his ratings.

24/7 has him at 89 rating and 34th best Safety in nation. His composite rating is 68th best safety in Nation. So, 24/7 rates him much higher than other sites.

Rivals has him at a 5.5 rating with 12 commits rated higher than him and 9 others at the same rating. Only 1 commit rated below him.

24/7 has him at 89 rating and 34th best Safety in nation. His composite rating is 68th best safety in Nation. So, 24/7 rates him much higher than other sites.

Rivals has him at a 5.5 rating with 12 commits rated higher than him and 9 others at the same rating. Only 1 commit rated below him.
Yes, based on rankings. I was surprised he got that much love from 247. His film was good but Ive seen better film from players rated a lot lower than him.

Yes, based on rankings. I was surprised he got that much love from 247. His film was good but Ive seen better film from players rated a lot lower than him.
Are they guys we have commits from or are they still free agents if you will?

Yeah 247 is one of 4 sites that rate kids, so the composite means more for sure. As much as these goofy ratings mean, that is

Fran seems very big on sticking to your word and being all in. Once you're committed, you're committed. Taking the word literally. Encouraging the kids to do what's best for them, but once you make your decision, you stick with it just like in the "real world"

I saw the thread title decommitted and thought to myself, who is that? I didn’t even know we had a kid named, Marcus Upton. That’s typically not my reaction when I see our best recruit has just decommitted; such as when Sellars did.

Fran seems very big on sticking to your word and being all in. Once you're committed, you're committed. Taking the word literally. Encouraging the kids to do what's best for them, but once you make your decision, you stick with it just like in the "real world"
Are we being presumptuous though? Was it the visit? Samuels visited the U and he is still in the fold.

They need to learn that your word should be your bond!

I saw the thread title decommitted and thought to myself, who is that? I didn’t even know we had a kid named, Marcus Upton. That’s typically not my reaction when I see our best recruit has just decommitted; such as when Sellars did.
Yeah I agree, he's a good prospect and wish we kept him but whether he's our BEST recruit is highly debatable. People love to sensationalize here as always. It's also still June

Are we being presumptuous though? Was it the visit? Samuels visited the U and he is still in the fold.
It seems more like official visits. Many committed kids will have camps and team visits to schools (unofficially) but the official wine and dine visit is different. Not saying I agree w it but sounds like Brown’s policy is don’t verbal if want to official somewhere else after. We’ll see if this policy sticks (many top teams have abandoned it) because when dealing w these top level recruits and now nil the recruits have more power than ever before.

It seems more like official visits. Many committed kids will have camps and team visits to schools (unofficially) but the official wine and dine visit is different. Not saying I agree w it but sounds like Brown’s policy is don’t verbal if want to official somewhere else after. We’ll see if this policy sticks (many top teams have abandoned it) because when dealing w these top level recruits and now nil the recruits have more power than ever before.
Quite possible and valid.

panda falling GIF

I'm not going to trash this kid. Seemed like a good prospect [and I'm not too worried about him being the current highest rated star kid -- it's early, and a lot of these ratings are going to be updated in the future], from New Jersey, with terrific size for the secondary.

BUT we've also added quite a few recruits in the secondary in the class of 2025, so maybe he just wanted to keep his options open. Or maybe he's concerned that he's been recruited over.

Doesn't really matter -- either way, we should be good.

I'm not going to trash this kid. Seemed like a good prospect [and I'm not too worried about him being the current highest rated star kid -- it's early, and a lot of these ratings are going to be updated in the future], from New Jersey, with terrific size for the secondary.

BUT we've also added quite a few recruits in the secondary in the class of 2025, so maybe he just wanted to keep his options open. Or maybe he's concerned that he's been recruited over.

Doesn't really matter -- either way, we should be good.
Perception wise the class took a hit. People will say Cuse lost their top commit. I liked his film but he was 6th on my list that I was most excited about. I think he will be a good player. I wish he was still committed but it’s not a major blow at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom