DC done for the year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DC done for the year...

I cant believe this shhhit, f the ncaa , bunch of BS. Just kidding lol. Hope he can some how redshirt after we win the NC , someone can figure it out,
everyone loves redshirts but the fact is that it ties up your ships too...i mean we are basically getting whoever we want now. are coleman/chino the types we want to burn years on?

they counted in Devo's case . . . he played in 10 of 35 including the 4 post season games. 10 of 31 would have been too many.

They round up to the next full game. 10 of 31 is still within the guidelines.

First of all let's remember we are 18-0 without him. Having beaten the #4 team along the way.
I feel awful for him. Imagine being a top recruit and then having 2 knee surgeries before you can even get things going in college. I hope he can eek out a career. He seems to be prone for injury. Seriously when you see him on the sidelines cheering, you can't help but feel for this kid.

I'm am very saddened to hear this news. I'm glad we've been unscathed so far, but remember when both Grant and Rak had 4 fouls for a length of time? I'm not sure how many games we get away with that scenario like we did and think it's foolhardy to act like this isn't much of a loss. I see our record, but I reminds me of the Patriots wins in the first Superbowl season of the current era, not of their more dominant teams. I think every piece a master like JB has to work with is valuable, and this most certainly included Dajuan Coleman.

Watching that kid cheer from the sidelines(as a couple others have mentioned) warms my heart and shows me what a team player DC2 truly is. Remember, this guy had a chance to play at Kentucky and chose us. Dajuan, if you are reading this, I wish you a speedy recovery and want you to know that we will miss you and can't wait to have you back. I know this guy will play a big role in Orange before his career is over, and it wouldn't shock me to see him in the "One Shining Moment" montage. Best wishes, big guy.

No disrespect to DC and I hope he makes a full recovery, but if we had to lose one of our Top 8 players, I think he is the most expendable.

Agreed but he will be needed next year for sure, really hope this isnt a chronic problem as we only have Chino coming off his redshirt next year and no Center coming in 2015. Will be interesting to see if we take maybe two big guys in 2016 based on DC's injury history.

They round up to the next full game. 10 of 31 is still within the guidelines.
OK, but it appears that postseason games do count:
In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competitionin the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport’s Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from thecalculation only if they are identified as such in the sport’s Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations;

it doesn't matter, because he is done either way.

they counted in Devo's case . . . he played in 10 of 35 including the 4 post season games. 10 of 31 would have been too many.

EDIT - already addressed above (they round up)

everyone loves redshirts but the fact is that it ties up your ships too...i mean we are basically getting whoever we want now. are coleman/chino the types we want to burn years on?

Jim Calhoun had no problem with those type of issues.

Sad news for dajuan. Hoping he recovers and closes his career out with a couple solid seasons.

Luckily for the team, this isn't anywhere near the losses of AO or Fab. He was essentially contributing 5 fouls before he got hurt. There will certainly be games where we miss those 5 fouls though. Hoping this ramps up the PT for Roberson, but I'm doubtful it works out that way.

Well...

Sh**.

I hate to speculate, but...his injury history, combined with the grind his body HAS to take from supporting his weight...I would not be surprised if his career is pretty much done at this point. He's going to have chronic problems from here on out, or so it seems.

I hope that's not the case, but this does not bode well.
Arinze?

I read a couple of articles that added two possibilities that may cover Devo's situation.

1. Post Season Conference tournament counts as one additional team contest, regardless of the actual number of games.
2. When you calculate the 30% you round up. So 30% of 31 games would be 9.3. Rounded up it would be 10. 30% of 32 games would be 9.6 rounded up to 10.

Our biennial center jinx.. Happens every even-numbered year. Onuaku in 2010, Fab in 2012, DC in 2014.

I hope this doesn't hurt us recruiting a center for 2016.

i'd rather be a 'cuse center than the new drummer in spinal tap

It sucks for DC2 and I'm really pulling for him to explode onto the scene next year but Keita was always going to get the back up minutes for Rak and I think Roberson was slowly moving ahead of him on the pecking order anyway.

It sucks for DC2 and I'm really pulling for him to explode onto the scene next year but Keita was always going to get the back up minutes for Rak and I think Roberson was slowly moving ahead of him on the pecking order anyway.

or was that by necessity?

I think the limit is appearances in 30% or fewer of total team games

You have to wonder why it doesn't go by minutes played rather than games played. If it was minutes played he would probably qualify for the RS. Seems like most games he only played a few minutes.

This will be a great opportunity for Roberson.

Something to note- in limited minutes, it's quite obvious to me Roberson is much further along in his development than Coleman, Rak, and Fab were at this point in their career.

Not quite the same position, but at this level, big forwards can be grouped into "centers", in my opinion.

You have to wonder why it doesn't go by minutes played rather than games played. If it was minutes played he would probably qualify for the RS. Seems like most games he only played a few minutes.

If it went by minutes played all of our freshmen, with the exception of Ennis, would be eligible for a redshirt...just scope all of their kneews to clean them out at the end of the year.