DC done for the year... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

DC done for the year...

This hurts for DC.

gotta think that this offseason once he recovers from this surgery, his primary goal, if not for basketball reasons, but for future quality of life reasons, is to get his weight down further to relieve as much stress on his knees as humanly possible.

He could still find a way to come back and contribute for us in the future.

In a not so unrelated question if DC2 is forced to call it quits by doctors saying he can no longer play what happens with his scholarship? Does he get to keep it to finish out his school work? Do we get it "returned" to us to use on another recruitable player? How exactly does that work when a student athlete can no longer compete due to medical concerns?

I'm not really all that concerned about this at all. Coleman in big games wasn't going to see that many minutes, and I would rather have Christmas and BMK get the center minutes. CJ and Grant were already playing big minutes and everyone knew that was going to continue. If anything getting Roberson more minutes is a positive for this team as well. I hope for the best for Coleman, but until he learns how to play defense in the zone he wasn't going to see many minutes.

Our biennial center jinx.. Happens every even-numbered year. Onuaku in 2010, Fab in 2012, DC in 2014.

I hope this doesn't hurt us recruiting a center for 2016.
Like Spinal Tap drummers...:eek:

This will be a great opportunity for Roberson.

Something to note- in limited minutes, it's quite obvious to me Roberson is much further along in his development than Coleman, Rak, and Fab were at this point in their career.

Not quite the same position, but at this level, big forwards can be grouped into "centers", in my opinion.
No way is Roberson ahead of Fair as a freshman.

I'm not really all that concerned about this at all. Coleman in big games wasn't going to see that many minutes, and I would rather have Christmas and BMK get the center minutes. CJ and Grant were already playing big minutes and everyone knew that was going to continue. If anything getting Roberson more minutes is a positive for this team as well. I hope for the best for Coleman, but until he learns how to play defense in the zone he wasn't going to see many minutes.

I think this helps Rak. He'll be able to play through his mistakes now instead of looking over his shoulder all the time. Hope he comes back stronger and readyto play next year.

Obviously must've found a tear...probably diagnosed as a bruise initially?

I would have to think that in modern D1 athletics, this kid would have undergone an MRI relatively soon after his symptoms began. They MRI everything these days..if you sneeze..MR it...

that would have shown a tear

Obviously must've found a tear...probably diagnosed as a bruise initially?

I have torn meniscus in both knees. I'm not sure there's an operation to fix it other than scrape away the bad stuff. If I play sports too hard I get bone on bone rubbing. It's extremely painful. Sometimes it takes a few days for the pain to calm down. I mostly just hobble around when it's painful.

Isn't it a different knee? I suppose that's better than tearing the same knee over again.

hey i'm no doctor but i'm reading on line the typical rehab/recover is six weeks.

No disrespect to DC and I hope he makes a full recovery, but if we had to lose one of our Top 8 players, I think he is the most expendable.

Without question. Not even close.
We will not miss him. We still have two above average centers, and 10 fouls.

hey i'm no doctor but i'm reading on line the typical rehab/recover is six weeks.

DC wasn't in good enough shape to stay in games before a six week layoff where he was going to be relatively immobile. My guess is that his rehab recovery to basketball playing condition will be considerably longer than the long to mid range.

DC wasn't in good enough shape to stay in games before a six week layoff where he was going to be relatively immobile. My guess is that his rehab recovery to basketball playing condition will be considerably longer than the long to mid range.

ok i'll buy that. but redshirt already burned i'm just wondering out loud if 5 minutes off the bench in a knee brace is 100 % totally off the table come late march? we're much more dangerous with dajuan. get better.

Last edited:
everyone loves redshirts but the fact is that it ties up your ships too...i mean we are basically getting whoever we want now. are coleman/chino the types we want to burn years on?
You're kidding right? First you're grouping DC2/chino together. DC2 is a McD.

And, of course we would burn a year of redshirt on them. We already did for Chino. Bigs take time. The more mature the big is, the better they will be. If we could have DC2 in '16-'17, the staff would take it immediately.

I think the downside is almost the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. SU can't just pick another McD center out of nowhere. Extending DC2 might adversely affect our chances of getting Bryant.

You're kidding right? First you're grouping DC2/chino together. DC2 is a McD.

And, of course we would burn a year of redshirt on them. We already did for Chino. Bigs take time. The more mature the big is, the better they will be. If we could have DC2 in '16-'17, the staff would take it immediately.

I think the downside is almost the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. SU can't just pick another McD center out of nowhere. Extending DC2 might adversely affect our chances of getting Bryant.

The fact that he was a high school All American is irrelevant at this time. We have more information on the player now that supersedes his high school resume.

STEVEHOLT said:
The fact that he was a high school All American is irrelevant at this time. We have more information on the player now that supersedes his high school resume.

I was going to post the same exact thing.

Facts are now that next season he will be a junior who can't play defense, is limited on offense, has trouble getting up and down the court, and is injury prone. Crushing high school talent in central New York isn't really saying much. I would hope guys that size playing against that talent would put up the numbers he did.

When you see the difference between freshman year Fab and Sophmore year Fab; when you remember the difference between Rony before and after the light went on for him; when you understand that DC has battled injury issues both this year and last; and when you see that JB felt highly enough of him to place him in the starting lineup this year...... I know all I need to know in order to understand that there is a pretty good chance that he will be worth whatever investment we make in him at some point before he leaves the Hill.

Obviously if he can't resolve the knee issues and play without physical impairment that may yield a different result.

So lets talk specifics, exactly what center is going to be better in '16-'17 than DC2 as a five year program 22 year old beast?

We are really only recruiting Bryant, Diagne, and maybe Diallo. We have seen time and time again that bigs need time. These guys aren't as hyped as Fab, Rak, or DC2 and they all needed time.

If DC2 recovers, I can't see any other center beating him out as center number one in '15-'16, not to mention '16-'17.

pfister1 said:
When you see the difference between freshman year Fab and Sophmore year Fab; when you remember the difference between Rony before and after the light went on for him; when you understand that DC has battled injury issues both this year and last; and when you see that JB felt highly enough of him to place him in the starting lineup this year... I know all I need to know in order to understand that there is a pretty good chance that he will be worth whatever investment we make in him at some point before he leaves the Hill. Obviously if he can't resolve the knee issues and play without physical impairment that may yield a different result.

I'm not saying JB HAS to start DC this year, but he kind of had to. Being a McDonalds AA may not mean much at this point of his career but it does mean something to highly regarded recruits. He doesn't start this year that could have an impact on a kid signing here. Syracuse, the place where you're a MDAA one year and riding the pine the next. I'm not saying it's true or justified, but if I was a recruit that would be in my head.

one of the most highly coveted SU recruits. i think he starts on most teams. yet 2 years 474 marginal minutes.

Last edited:
Sgt Cuse said:
So lets talk specifics, exactly what center is going to be better in '16-'17 than DC2 as a five year program 22 year old beast? We are really only recruiting Bryant, Diagne, and maybe Diallo. We have seen time and time again that bigs need time. These guys aren't as hyped as Fab, Rak, or DC2 and they all needed time. If DC2 recovers, I can't see any other center beating him out as center number one in '15-'16, not to mention '16-'17.

We don't know who would be better, but if he can't get over the injury bug that's strike one. If he can't pick up the defense that's strike two, if he can't improve on his conditioning that's strike three.

There is no rule that a player has to get better year after year, it is possible he maxed out as a high school senior. We have a good amount of data seeing what DC brings to the table, Chin is an unknown, we should stop with the DC > Chin talk because we really have no idea and Coleman hasn't exactly made a case for himself to give us any indication that it's true.