DC done for the year... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DC done for the year...

I have torn meniscus in both knees. I'm not sure there's an operation to fix it other than scrape away the bad stuff. If I play sports too hard I get bone on bone rubbing. It's extremely painful. Sometimes it takes a few days for the pain to calm down. I mostly just hobble around when it's painful.
It depends on where the tear is. If an avascular part of the meniscus is torn they just take that part out. If it's in a vascular part they can repair it.

I was going to post the same exact thing.

Facts are now that next season he will be a junior who can't play defense, is limited on offense, has trouble getting up and down the court, and is injury prone. Crushing high school talent in central New York isn't really saying much. I would hope guys that size playing against that talent would put up the numbers he did.
I'm not sure what games you were watching, but before going down, he was making strides offensively and defensively this season, and his rebounding was outstanding. If he can get healthy, he will be a force in the middle as a junior and senior. I'm certain the SU coaching staff is not writing him off.

br801 said:
I'm not sure what games you were watching, but before going down, he was making strides offensively and defensively this season, and his rebounding was outstanding. If he can get healthy, he will be a force in the middle as a junior and senior. I'm certain the SU coaching staff is not writing him off.
Strides from what? He was doing the same things last season. Being held to 4 points or less in all but 3 games he played in (4 of those games with no points at all I believe) doesn't scream progress to me. I'm certain they're not writing him off either, but I'm also sure they've been extremely disappointed by what he has done since he arrived here, and there's no reason they shouldn't be.

I'm not saying JB HAS to start DC this year, but he kind of had to. Being a McDonalds AA may not mean much at this point of his career but it does mean something to highly regarded recruits. He doesn't start this year that could have an impact on a kid signing here. Syracuse, the place where you're a MDAA one year and riding the pine the next. I'm not saying it's true or justified, but if I was a recruit that would be in my head.

I think there is about a 99% chance that JB started Coleman because he felt DC II needed minutes under his belt to reach his potential and thought that was a good way to get him minutes, not because he was worried about how the next recruit would perceive his treatment of Coleman if he didn't start.

I also think that 99% of the players that are at the McD AA level have NO DOUBT that they will be successful and see any lack of success that another player before them had as something that was unique to that player.

pfister1 said:
I think there is about a 99% chance that JB started Coleman because he felt DC II needed minutes under his belt to reach his potential and thought that was a good way to get him minutes, not because he was worried about how the next recruit would perceive his treatment of Coleman if he didn't start. I also think that 99% of the players that are at the McD AA level have NO DOUBT that they will be successful and see any lack of success that another player before them had as something that was unique to that player.

I really do it think it's a mixture of both, DC needed the minutes and has more potential (maybe?) than BMK does and there was really no other option with Grant being the 6th man and having two centers on the bench.

Did he play too much to redshirt?

Yes, by 4 games, but since he has had his season ended by surgery 2 years in a row, they can petition for an extra year.

Personally, I'm not sure it's going to help. I think he's going to be a one-legged player from here on out. Such a shame. The kid has so much potential.

my first thought, too, because I had high hopes for DC this year . . . but now I'm remembering what dividends we've received from the increased playing time Grant got when Dirty went out last year.

Personally, I think Christmas has played much better since Coleman went down. We start him at center instead of PF, where he's clearly more comfortable, and he gets to play the low post, which we are seeing pay some dividends on the offensive end. Plus, so far he's done a pretty good job of playing with foul trouble.

This hurts for DC.

gotta think that this offseason once he recovers from this surgery, his primary goal, if not for basketball reasons, but for future quality of life reasons, is to get his weight down further to relieve as much stress on his knees as humanly possible.

He could still find a way to come back and contribute for us in the future.

In a not so unrelated question if DC2 is forced to call it quits by doctors saying he can no longer play what happens with his scholarship? Does he get to keep it to finish out his school work? Do we get it "returned" to us to use on another recruitable player? How exactly does that work when a student athlete can no longer compete due to medical concerns?
If I'm not mistaken, theoretically, he could have his scholarship taken away. However, I don't see Boeheim doing that. I know Etan Thomas wrote about his GF's schollie being taken after an injury, but I don't think Boeheim has ever taken one.. Does anyone know about similar situations in the past?

If I'm not mistaken, theoretically, he could have his scholarship taken away. However, I don't see Boeheim doing that. I know Etan Thomas wrote about his GF's schollie being taken after an injury, but I don't think Boeheim has ever taken one.. Does anyone know about similar situations in the past?

That rarely, if ever, happens, and would never happen with a guy you were expecting to rehab and play again. I think many questioned whether there were other factors at play with Etan's girlfriend.

That rarely, if ever, happens, and would never happen with a guy you were expecting to rehab and play again. I think many questioned whether there were other factors at play with Etan's girlfriend.
Thats why I specifically mentioned if DC is forced to step away from the game by doctors telling him never to suit up again.

So lets talk specifics, exactly what center is going to be better in '16-'17 than DC2 as a five year program 22 year old beast?

We are really only recruiting Bryant, Diagne, and maybe Diallo. We have seen time and time again that bigs need time. These guys aren't as hyped as Fab, Rak, or DC2 and they all needed time.

If DC2 recovers, I can't see any other center beating him out as center number one in '15-'16, not to mention '16-'17.

My comment made no reference to whether or not he would improve and become useful. My comment simply states that whatever he may or may not become has nothing to do with his high school label as a McDonald's All American.

My point is that when you project DC down the road, his projection is going to be more accurately predicted by evaluation of the tape he has put in college rather than in high school.

so i'm no doctor, but exactly how do you have surgery on a bruise? what do you repair?

Sgt Cuse said:
You're kidding right? First you're grouping DC2/chino together. DC2 is a McD. And, of course we would burn a year of redshirt on them. We already did for Chino. Bigs take time. The more mature the big is, the better they will be. If we could have DC2 in '16-'17, the staff would take it immediately. I think the downside is almost the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. SU can't just pick another McD center out of nowhere. Extending DC2 might adversely affect our chances of getting Bryant.
I'm not kidding. Why would you think I was? I'm grouping them together because they are 2 redshirt centers on the same team. Red shirts impact recruiting. I mean this board wants to redshirt a bunch every year. Were a recruiting juggernaut right now. We don't necessarily need a bunch of guys projecting as 5 year guys IMO.