Class of 2014 - DE Chris Slayton (IL) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 DE Chris Slayton (IL) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Man, at 6'3", 258lbs, he's as big as some of the OL kids SU has brought in over the past few years.

Man, at 6'3", 258lbs, he's as big as some of the OL kids SU has brought in over the past few years.

actually I like it when they bring in lighter o-lineman as it's easier to build mass with muscle than it is for them to transform fat into muscle. Very few programs get the 300lb. OL that are built solid from high school.

This kid is going to make QB's cry.

Looks like a Jones bro.

Great add, welcome to the Orange family Slaytons!

Can't wait to get this big fella on the field to see him making ACC QBs cry...

Great recruiting by the staff. Some how I didn't realize that Slayton was a Core 6 kid like Moskal.

#COMPETE ‏@core6athletes 44m
Congrats to CORE6 2014 DL Chris Slayton : Crete (Ill.) Monee DE Chris Slayton commits to #Syracuse:

Didn't realize that either, is that what 3 core 6 now with Moskal, Dawson and Slayton?

Great group to get in we by the way, excited about that and future potential recruits we can get that way

Merry Friggin Christmas Cuse fans!!! WOOHOOO!!!!

im starting to think they claim every kid who might have worked out there. Even if it once or twice. Is there any D1 players in illinois that didn't go to core 6? LOL, SMH

I really like the midwest pickups. It's not like the weather's gonna be any kind of culture shock.

Enjoyed Slayton's tape. Great at splitting double-teams.

Quality offer-list as well.

Besides, gotta love a kid who gives the staff a legit Christmas present.

Last edited:
I really like the midwest pickups. It's not like the weather's gonna be any kind of culture shock.

I think this is a great point that can't be overlooked. These kids are not going to be afraid of rust belt weather at syracuse, so the weather angle is not something the coaches have to worry about selling or defending.

I think this is a great point that can't be overlooked. These kids are not going to be afraid of rust belt weather at syracuse, so the weather angle is not something the coaches have to worry about selling or defending.

Plus they DO get to play some road games in warmer climes, so they're not solely stuck playing in the frozen tundra of the midwest. One way that I think the ACC gives us a little more of an edge...

I think this, or KJ, is our biggest pick up.

This is a class filling immediate needs, which it appears Scott, and his staff identified when they came in. In the future the classes will probably concentrate on adding quality depth at all positions.

http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/crete-monees-chris-slayton-verbally-commits-syracuse

Crete-Monee three star ranked senior defensive end Chris Slayton (6-foot-3, 258 pounds) decided to end his recruiting process on Christmas Eve and gave Syracuse his verbal commitment.
"I gave Syracuse my verbal commitment on Christmas Eve," Slayton said. "I knew I was ready to end my recruiting process. I found a place to call home in Syracuse and it was just the right time for me to tell the coaches and my friends and family."
Slayton is now the fourth Chicagoland recruit from the 2014 class to pledge to the Orangemen, joining St. Rita defensive back Lamar Dawson, De La Salle offensive lineman Aaron Roberts and Lake Zurich linebacker Colton Moskal. The local connection to Syracuse was yet another factor for Slayton in his final choice.

"They have some other Chicago area kids already on the team and I just feel like I'd be another good fit in this class. I also get along great with the Syracuse coaches and they also have a lot of connections back to Chicago. Most of the coaches on the staff have coached here so I just felt very at ease with other Chicagoland guys."
Slayton was planning to make January official visits but will now cancel those trips.
"I was planning to make more visits in January. I was looking at seeing both Illinois and Minnesota but now I'm going to cancel those visits. I just don't feel like I need to make other visits or even talk to any other coaches now."

Fantastic verbal, now to fend off those other suitors. This class is shaping up to be a very good one talent wise.

Fantastic verbal, now to fend off those other suitors. This class is shaping up to be a very good one talent wise.
From the article above, sounds like he sent them away on his own, and we don't even have to fight them off. Always great to hear a kid be that solid.

Trying to imagine... Isaiah on one end and Chris on the other. Please let Raymon come back healthy and let the O lines cheat to the outside. LOL

Trying to imagine... Isaiah on one end and Chris on the other. Please let Raymon come back healthy and let the O lines cheat to the outside. LOL
Raymon, Crume, Wayne Williams inside and Johnson, Thompson, Slayton outside. Gone are the days of having 1 great Dlineman and some space fillers.