Class of 2018 - DE Marcellus Earlington Don Bosco (NJ) to St John's for Basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE Marcellus Earlington Don Bosco (NJ) to St John's for Basketball

Analyst predicts DL targets Friday, Earlington to RU

Friday, 247Sports.com director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong released crystal ball predictions, projecting two of Rutgers' top defensive line targets to the school.

Don Bosco (Ramsey, N.J.) rising seniors Tyler Friday and Marcellus Earlington, ranked Nos. 2 and 13 in the NJ.com Top 50, were his Rutgers picks with seven months left until signing day.
Rutgers will have to compete in most games and pull a upset or 2 to get them.

North Carolina recruiting: Basketball could be key in helping Tar Heels land DE Marcellus Earlington

The predicament for Roy Williams and the basketball team’s Class of 2018 is an interesting one, to say the least.

With just two seniors on scholarship and two players already committed — guard Coby White and point guard/small forward Rechon Black — there isn’t much room to grow. Still, with Black’s next-level position still up in the air, Williams and his staff has still been targeting front court help among this year’s rising seniors.

At some point, if the Tar Heels are going to add a third, or even fourth, member to the class, some scholarship math is going to have to be done. But there might be a way for Williams to add a little depth to his front court without costing one of his scholarships courtesy of football coach Larry Fedora.

Marcellus Earlington, a 3-star defensive end out of Ramsey, N.J., is a bonafide football prospect, ranking among the top 500 players in the Class of 2018. He’s also a solid basketball player on the AAU circuit and, while football is the sport he’s been recruited for the most, he’s expressed an interest in playing both sports at the next level.

A big part of the interest generated toward North Carolina stems from a conversation that Earlington had with Williams about playing basketball. Growing up, Earlington was a North Carolina and Syracuse basketball fan, so Williams has a real presence when it comes to the nation’s No. 17 defensive end.

“Just hearing coach Roy Williams tell me I could play both, it was mind-blowing,” Earlington told Dohn. “That definitely was a game-changer. I really love North Carolina, and just hearing his voice, it was very good.”

The Tar Heels seem to be the favorite at this point, with Earlington saying they’re “in a great place” and Dohn wrote later in the week that they’re “in the driver’s seat.” However, it’s still early and he indicated that if Duke or Rutgers were to get more serious about Earlington on the basketball court, it could change things, so you can’t pencil him into the Class of 2018 just yet.

I hope they get a postseason ban. It should be the least of their pathetic school's worries.

Doesn't sound like we were too interested in having him on the bball team, which is weird because we've done it before.

how good is this guy at bball

how good is this guy at bball

First team all state in NJ.

First team: Marcellus Earlington, Don Bosco Prep, Jr., 6-4, 260 lbs, forward
Earlington might be one of New Jersey’s top football prospects, but this winter, he proved he can shine on more than just the gridiron. He keyed Bosco’s run to the Tournament of Champions final, picking up a Non-Public A title along the way. Earlington averaged 16.3 points per game as he established himself as one of the most versatile players in the state.

NJ.com boys basketball All-State teams, 2016-17

Honorable mention Junior Class by CBS/Maxpreps (along with Jahvon Quinerly and Cameron Reddish).

CBS MaxPreps Boys Basketball Junior All-American Team for 2017

I see him as a less athletic Paul Harris with an outside shot.

Berger, Earlington form unstoppable duo as Don Bosco earns 1st win of season

Behind the stellar play of senior defensive end Marcellus Earlington and sophomore running back Jalen Berger, Don Bosco defeated Seton Hall Prep, 21-13, in an NJSFC crossover game on Saturday.

The Ironmen's offense had a slow start before scoring two second-half touchdowns. But their defense was solid from early on.

Earlington racked up three sacks for a total loss of 22 yards as part of a defensive performance for Don Bosco (1-1) that included two goal-line stands.

Player of the game: Earlington was outstanding all game. He consistently got into the backfield to apply pressure and finished with three sacks.

His final sack came late in the fourth quarter.

He'd be a great add. Not sure where we are in the pecking order at this point.
I'd have to think he is one or two

Maybe he can't decide which sport he wants to play?
I've heard he wants to play both. Would be weird if we didn't give him that opportunity when we are for Taj Harris...

Major football recruit Earlington to play hoops instead

Despite having what seems like unlimited opportunities on the gridiron, Don Bosco (Ramsey, N.J.) senior defensive end Marcellus Earlington has chosen to forgo his football scholarships and play basketball in college instead.

A 6-5, 260-pound play-maker at both defensive end and tight end, Earlington generated 16 FBS offers compared to his limited opportunities on the hardwood. Yet, he will follow his heart which is telling him that the basketball court is where he wants to be.
So which school is it going to be for the explosive two-sport star?

"I plan to make my decision in the spring," he said, "so I can take as many visits as possible and take my time in finding the right fit."

Although somewhat undersized at 6-5 to play the four or five spots in college, Earlington believes the way the game has changed now allows players of all shapes and sizes to partake in different roles.

"A lot of colleges are not recruiting me for a certain position. They say the game is becoming position-less and I could play two-through-four. I want to be able to play every position at the next level kind of like a Draymond Green type payer."
Will all of his football suitors give up on him?

Probably not.

Especially when it appears from the outside looking in that Earlington's leaving some great opportunities on the table. But, ultimately, it's his decision to make and he's made it, as the youngster has his own life to live.

"Football coaches have started to fall back a little but there are still schools recruiting me," said Earlington who holds football offers from Rutgers, Georgia, Penn State, Michigan State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Pitt and UNC, to name a few. "I have no problem with it. I look at it as a blessing to have the opportunity to play either sport at the next level and that there's millions of kids that wish to be in my position."

Not too many Charles Barkley's in the NBA. Good luck to the kid.

Football Scholly Play Basketball? avoid NCdubbA reductions??