Class of 2015 - DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr (NY) Transferring from Michigan to Stony Brook

Wow, big surprise. Kid must have an ego the size of (pick a large lake or ocean).

Why?
The kid is a legacy at another school. And is a flat out stud.. Good for him..

If Danny Conley's son went to Penn State, I can see the frustration. And he is a personal friend.

Pretty cool to have the ultimate choice of schools. Happy for TW and their family.

We will get the 4/5 star kid in the next few years for the right reasons and will open the flood gates. The practice facility and "44" monuments will be a huge effect as we continue to win on the field as well. The staff will only get better at recruiting.

gocraz4dasu said:
The butt-hurt in this thread is strong. How dare an extremely talented player have a desire to play at a couple schools that consistently pump out NFL prospects!

We put out NFL draft picks. If you have talent and skill they will find you.

I'm also not shocked or upset that we aren't in the running. Give me Slayton over this kid.

We put out NFL draft picks. If you have talent and skill they will find you.

I'm also not shocked or upset that we aren't in the running. Give me Slayton over this kid.

We have put out a few NFL players recently but we should avoid putting us in the same breath as Alabama in the previous decade in regards to this, that would be irrational. And Chris Slayton looks to have quite a bit of potential but in no way is he better than Wheatley. That's no knock on Slayton, Wheatley is just a phenomenal talent. If you honestly would take Chris Slayton's skill set over Tyrone Wheatley's, then I want some of what you're on.

The butt-hurt in this thread is strong. How dare an extremely talented player have a desire to play at a couple schools that consistently pump out NFL prospects!
The reason that such schools "pump out" NFL prospects is that they generally recruit the best players. Let's identify the proper cause.

Anyways, good for him. Just because his dad coached here for a couple years there is no reason to conclude that we had any "in" with him. He is starry-eyed over the factories, and there it is.

Wow, big surprise. Kid must have an ego the size of (pick a large lake or ocean).
I actually went to school with TJ when he was still in cuse and he is actually one of the nicest kids I've ever met, you'd never know that he was the great talent that he is by the way he acts. He's a class act kid and I absolutely wish the best for him

The reason that such schools "pump out" NFL prospects is that they generally recruit the best players. Let's identify the proper cause.

Anyways, good for him. Just because his dad coached here for a couple years there is no reason to conclude that we had any "in" with him. He is starry-eyed over the factories, and there it is.

And they generally recruit the best players because they traditionally put players in the NFL.

gocraz4dasu said:
We have put out a few NFL players recently but we should avoid putting us in the same breath as Alabama in the previous decade in regards to this, that would be irrational. And Chris Slayton looks to have quite a bit of potential but in no way is he better than Wheatley. That's no knock on Slayton, Wheatley is just a phenomenal talent. If you honestly would take Chris Slayton's skill set over Tyrone Wheatley's, then I want some of what you're on.

What I was referring to was Shafer's line about taking kids who want to be here. Of course we'd take Wheatley over Slayton - but that's not an option. Slayton wants to be here.

If you are Wheatley - a great talent - you don't need to worry about Alabama vs Syracuse and pro-potential. Go to a p5 school and you'll get noticed.

Also - best DE to come from either school in the NFL right now? Chandler Jones.

What I was referring to was Shafer's line about taking kids who want to be here. Of course we'd take Wheatley over Slayton - but that's not an option. Slayton wants to be here.

If you are Wheatley - a great talent - you don't need to worry about Alabama vs Syracuse and pro-potential. Go to a p5 school and you'll get noticed.

Also - best DE to come from either school in the NFL right now? Chandler Jones.

Sounds like Bama is recruiting him to play TE though ... we weren't unless I misunderstood.

Honestly, did anyone really expect him to come to Syracuse? His only connection here was that Syracuse was one of his dad's previous employers. That's it. Keep it in mind.

Tyrone is a great guy and I wish he and his family the best.

Honestly, did anyone really expect him to come to Syracuse? His only connection here was that Syracuse was one of his dad's previous employers. That's it. Keep it in mind.

I agree totally. Not sure I understand some of the earlier comments that seemed to be criticizing the kid for trying to make the best decision for his future. If Syracuse wasn't my dream school, it would even be hard for me to turn down the likes of Alabama, USC, UCLA, Michigan, and Miami in the same situation.

MSOrange said:
I agree totally. Not sure I understand some of the earlier comments that seemed to be criticizing the kid for trying to make the best decision for his future. If Syracuse wasn't my dream school, it would even be hard for me to turn down the likes of Alabama, USC, UCLA, Michigan, and Miami in the same situation.

I would be swayed by the names and perception at 17 or 18, but honestly - I would hope to have wise people around me who could help me see past the glitz. That's the game. P5 schools are roughly the same in that you'll play the best and get noticed if you're any good. After that a 1,000 other factors should be in play. Name on the jersey and tradition are largely glitzy - and in some places you don't get the time to develop because the recruit over you or worse.

As far as Wheatley goes - who knows why he left us off. I agree that it doesn't really matter.

I would be swayed by the names and perception at 17 or 18, but honestly - I would hope to have wise people around me who could help me see past the glitz. That's the game. P5 schools are roughly the same in that you'll play the best and get noticed if you're any good. After that a 1,000 other factors should be in play. Name on the jersey and tradition are largely glitzy - and in some places you don't get the time to develop because the recruit over you or worse.

As far as Wheatley goes - who knows why he left us off. I agree that it doesn't really matter.

Yes I agree - I was speaking from the perspective of someone his age about being swayed by the big names. But very good post.

The connection that we'd like to build on isn't that his dad coached here. It's that Ty lived here in his formative years and may have fond memories and good friends in CNY. Also, he's familiar with HCSS. Those are the best "ins" we have with him.

The connection that we'd like to build on isn't that his dad coached here. It's that Ty lived here in his formative years and may have fond memories and good friends in CNY. Also, he's familiar with HCSS. Those are the best "ins" we have with him.

He is familiar with HCSS, true. However, Ty Sr. also knows what Syracuse's ceiling is versus other programs. The odds of us landing his son since he left for the Bills dropped by the day. Wheatley's allegiance is to Doug Marrone for hiring him, not to Syracuse or Scott Shafer even though they worked together. Just my $.02

Shafer has done a tremendous job of putting together a close-knit, family-esque coaching staff and they have made great inroads to places where they recently had no chance. I'm not worried at all about not getting Wheatley Jr., and frankly, not too sure Shafer ever was either. Things could change before NSD with Wheatley Jr., but I like how this staff is beginning to stamp out their recruiting territories.

He is familiar with HCSS, true. However, Ty Sr. also knows what Syracuse's ceiling is versus other programs. The odds of us landing his son since he left for the Bills dropped by the day. Wheatley's allegiance is to Doug Marrone for hiring him, not to Syracuse or Scott Shafer even though they worked together. Just my $.02

Shafer has done a tremendous job of putting together a close-knit, family-esque coaching staff and they have made great inroads to places where they recently had no chance. I'm not worried at all about not getting Wheatley Jr., and frankly, not too sure Shafer ever was either. Things could change before NSD with Wheatley Jr., but I like how this staff is beginning to stamp out their recruiting territories.
Excuse me Rocco but what exactly would his "ceiling" be in syracuse I simply don't get that statement at all. Syracuse is a major school in a major confernce that puts players in the NFL every year so I don't get this comment.

Excuse me Rocco but what exactly would his "ceiling" be in syracuse I simply don't get that statement at all. Syracuse is a major school in a major confernce that puts players in the NFL every year so I don't get this comment.

In the 4 year period Ty will be in school the ceiling is probably 10 wins and a great bowl game ... he won't have a shot at an NC ... I think that is what he means.

Ahhhh...the recruiting double standard.

Good thing Diagne couldn't see past the glitz amirite

Ahhhh...the recruiting double standard.

Good thing Diagne couldn't see past the glitz amirite
Are you really comparing our basketball program/recruiting with the football program/recruiting?

Are you really comparing our basketball program/recruiting with the football program/recruiting?
I believe he is comparing how people on the FB side talk about how kids shouldn't get caught up in the glitz and glam of the high profile selector schools and choosing them over Syracuse football, yet on the basketball side people mock kids who decide to go to a non selector school and choose to bypass the glitz and glam of Syracuse basketball.

Not the recruiting in general.

I believe he is comparing how people on the FB side talk about how kids shouldn't get caught up in the glitz and glam of the high profile selector schools and choosing them over Syracuse football, yet on the basketball side people mock kids who decide to go to a non selector school and choose to bypass the glitz and glam of Syracuse basketball.

Not the recruiting in general.

Nailed it.