Death, taxes and another Duke #1 recruiting class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Death, taxes and another Duke #1 recruiting class

Do people assume that once high schoolers are allowed to go to the NBA, you won't see freshmen declaring anymore? I agree that the one-and-done rule will take some of the elite talent out of college basketball, but I think there will still be a lot of one-and-done players. It's still generally better to leave for the NBA early rather than later.

Looks like in 2004, there were 8 kids drafted out of HS. I don't think that drastically changes when new rules take effect. There will still be plenty of talent to leave early as Freshman and Sophomores.

Vernon Carey coming in too? Not exactly looking forward to seeing him.

Edit: also saw a video of Vernon's "little bro" kid is like 13 years old 6'7 260lbs reportedly? Wonder what mom's grocery store bill looks like.

Don't worry about the grocery bill, I'm sure dook' got it covered.

What you say is mostly true, but the next level of talent they get will be closer to the rest of the talent pool. So their talent advantage will be less.

If the top high school recruits go straight to the NBA, Duke and Kentucky will get whoever is the cream of the crop of the next best available. They will still have the best talent and advantage over other schools just as they do now. It's all relative.

Duke has to cheating. There is just no way all these kids would be going there without something going on.
Do they not see what happened to Cam Reddish this year.
K doesn’t coach them.
It’s amazing how absurdly well they recruit.

guys...these kids are going to Duke and UK for exposure...They are on tv for EVERY game..Let's take, for example..chris bassey...Kid was dominate in HS and played pretty damn well in college as well...if he went to duke or UK, he would have gotten SO much exposure and probably be a fridge lotto pick vs now he might get selected in the 2nd round..exposure and playing in big games MATTER

Duke has to cheating. There is just no way all these kids would be going there without something going on.
Do they not see what happened to Cam Reddish this year.
K doesn’t coach them.
It’s amazing how absurdly well they recruit.

Nike has to be footing the bill. Can't have their golden goose stink.

Wonder how they feel about Memphis taking Wiseman and Precious...

That said I'm glad they signed Cassius Stanley. K is going to start 2 guards that can't shoot a lick and that's why they won't be as good as the talking heads expect. If I were O'Connell I would transfer.

guys...these kids are going to Duke and UK for exposure...They are on tv for EVERY game..Let's take, for example..chris bassey...Kid was dominate in HS and played pretty damn well in college as well...if he went to duke or UK, he would have gotten SO much exposure and probably be a fridge lotto pick vs now he might get selected in the 2nd round..exposure and playing in big games MATTER
Exposure? Nobody watches college basketball outside of fans of the schools.
Interest in the sport is minuscule
Nationally.
College basketball is relevant nationally 1 month a year.
Unless you are a Zion Williamson or Durant the needle isn’t being moved by college players.
Plus all games on are TV.
They are going to Duke or Kentucky because those teams are cheating.

Nike has to be footing the bill. Can't have their golden goose stink.

Wonder how they feel about Memphis taking Wiseman and Precious...

That said I'm glad they signed Cassius Stanley. K is going to start 2 guards that can't shoot a lick and that's why they won't be as good as the talking heads expect. If I were O'Connell I would transfer.
Memphis only got those kids because Penny coached them in AAU.
That built the relationship were they didn’t take the Duke or UK paychecks.

Memphis only got those kids because Penny coached them in AAU.
That built the relationship were they didn’t take the Duke or UK paychecks.

And Wiseman is the number 1 pick in the draft. Precious is top ten.

Duke and UK didn't get any transformational talents this year. Memphis will be featured a lot next season. A lot like Oklahoma was when they had Trae Young.

My guess is a few of these guys will see their stock decrease. A lot like Duval, Reddish, and Tre Jones had their stock decrease.

Whoever K doesn't feature usually gets the short end of the stick.

How the Nike connection plays out will be interesting once the OAD era ends. Right now, it easy for Nike to identify on players to bid on. But, when talents like Williamson and Reddish go straight to the NBA, it might be a little more difficult. Also, from a marketing perspective, are the shoe companies more concerned about people seeing the logo on the jerseys of successful schools or in securing the rights to the player once he is in the NBA. If it is the latter, Nike may not be as free with the benefits it pays to players to steer them to Duke.

Yeah. Top 10 pick in the NBA draft.
You are just not good at this man.
My god get better. Good job good effort but man you don’t get the point and I am not going to waste time on someone like you who wants to troll.

You are just not good at this man.
My god get better. Good job good effort but man you don’t get the point and I am not going to waste time on someone like you who wants to troll.

Was just responding to your post. Is Reddish going to be a top 10 pick or not?

Exposure? Nobody watches college basketball outside of fans of the schools.
Interest in the sport is minuscule
Nationally.
College basketball is relevant nationally 1 month a year.
Unless you are a Zion Williamson or Durant the needle isn’t being moved by college players.
Plus all games on are TV.
They are going to Duke or Kentucky because those teams are cheating.

This is idiotic. They are going to Duke and UK because both programs have tremendous histories, titles, exposure, great fan bases, hall of fame coaches, and great facilities. And both programs have legit title chances because they get other great players. All games are on TV? You think ESPN is suddenly broadcasting all of Clemson’s or South Carolina’s games if Zion picked either school? Me neither.

Those programs are the two best programs in college basketball. That’s why kids go there.

and Alex o'Connell gets recruited over again. Should've come to Cuse, would be key piece instead of gathering splinters at Cameron

This is idiotic. They are going to Duke and UK because both programs have tremendous histories, titles, exposure, great fan bases, hall of fame coaches, and great facilities. And both programs have legit title chances because they get other great players. All games are on TV? You think ESPN is suddenly broadcasting all of Clemson’s or South Carolina’s games if Zion picked either school? Me neither.

Those programs are the two best programs in college basketball. That’s why kids go there.
Cusefan0307 can you please answer this.
He doesn’t think South Carolina or Clemson games wouldn’t all have been on ESPN which only cares about ratings if they went there.
Duke is a brand that sells itself but doesn’t get how much Zion helped ratings himself this year and the fact college basketball ratings as whole are down. Please handle this. This poster is my version of Brian for you.

So why didn’t everybody go there last decade?

Duke and Kentucky have been blue bloods and top 5 programs for decades. Why didn’t they recruit like this until recent years?

Duke’s classes were about the same as ours for much of the 00’s.

So why didn’t everybody go there last decade?

Duke and Kentucky have been blue bloods and top 5 programs for decades. Why didn’t they recruit like this until recent years?

Duke’s classes were about the same as ours for much of the 00’s.

Duke and Kentucky always recruited well.

Praying the Lakers don't take him. They've had enough busts the last five years.

I feel like they’ve drafted well. Problem is the two best guys they drafted in the last 5 years aren’t on the team anymore.

I still like Ingram’s chances to be a star. He was really playing great when he got hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom