Death, taxes and another Duke #1 recruiting class | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Death, taxes and another Duke #1 recruiting class

According to 2 -4-7. This is as far back as their rankings go:
2003 - Kentucky - 23, Duke - 66 (Cuse - 9, btw)
2004 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 11
2005 - Kentucky - 22, Duke - 2
2006 - Kentucky - 10, Duke - 5
2007 - Kentucky - 9, Duke - 11 (Cuse- 3, btw)
2008 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 14
2009 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 20
2010 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 16 (Cuse - 4, btw)
2011 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 2
2012 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 41
2013 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 9 (Cuse -8)
2014 - Kentucky - 2, Duke - 1
2015 - Kentucky - 1, Duke - 2 (Cuse - 8)
2016 - Kentucky - 2, Duke - 1
2017 - Kentucky - 2, Duke - 1
2018 - Kentucky - 2, Duke - 1
2019 - Kentucky - 3, Duke - 1

I think this is also a function of quantity as well as quality. In 2012, Duke only signed 2 kids, Sulaimon (#3 SG) and Jefferson (#4 PF). They didn't need anybody else and/or didn't have room for more kids. So the schools with 4-5 recruits likely jumped them in the rankings.

In 2009, ranked 20th apparently, they had 4 kids: Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry (transfer) & Andre Dawkins. However, are we sure that transfers are considered when creating class rankings. Also, Dawkins, reclassified in July of 2009. Were the rankings already finalized?

2008, ranked 14th, is probably close to a "traditional" 3 person class. Williams was a very high recruit iirc. Miles Plumlee was coming in, along with the promised pipeline of Mason and Marshall to follow, and then some dude named Olek Czyz who I can't recall at all.

2007 seems like a loaded class. Hard to believe there were 10 others ranked higher, but perhaps its also due to quantity. The 3 person class had Singler, Nolan Smith, and Taylor King, who sucked in college but was a HS stud. All 5-stars I believe. I'm shocked that they were ranked that low.

I think this is also a function of quantity as well as quality. In 2012, Duke only signed 2 kids, Sulaimon (#3 SG) and Jefferson (#4 PF). They didn't need anybody else and/or didn't have room for more kids. So the schools with 4-5 recruits likely jumped them in the rankings.

In 2009, ranked 20th apparently, they had 4 kids: Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry (transfer) & Andre Dawkins. However, are we sure that transfers are considered when creating class rankings. Also, Dawkins, reclassified in July of 2009. Were the rankings already finalized?

2008, ranked 14th, is probably close to a "traditional" 3 person class. Williams was a very high recruit iirc. Miles Plumlee was coming in, along with the promised pipeline of Mason and Marshall to follow, and then some dude named Olek Czyz who I can't recall at all.

2007 seems like a loaded class. Hard to believe there were 10 others ranked higher, but perhaps its also due to quantity. The 3 person class had Singler, Nolan Smith, and Taylor King, who sucked in college but was a HS stud. All 5-stars I believe. I'm shocked that they were ranked that low.
We have seen with the Adidas trial players are getting paid.
It’s not just Adidas schools paying for players.
I don’t think Kansas is alone. They paid for Silvio De Souza.
Louisville had coach-2(Rick Pitino) on a wire in Las Vegas discussing paying Bryce Brown’s father 100k to go to Louisville.

You aren’t an idiot you know this stuff goes on elsewhere.

Smart money is on Duke doing stuff. I don’t blame the kids either.

Duke has to cheating. There is just no way all these kids would be going there without something going on.
Do they not see what happened to Cam Reddish this year.
K doesn’t coach them.
It’s amazing how absurdly well they recruit.
Come on, man.
1/ No player in the history of history was ever promoted as much as Zion. If you want to create and build a 'brand,' you go to Duke.
2/ You're pretty much guaranteed to be ranked top 5.
3/ You're pretty much guaranteed to be on tv as much/more than any other team.
4/ You're going to be practicing against 5-stars.
5/ You're going to be buying into the whole 'duke culture' thing, and you get that alumni base association.6
6/ There are a ton of Duke players in the NBA, so you're pretty much assured that nothing you do at duke is going to compromise your ability later, nor is there anything to misrepresent about you.
7/ You're getting coached by the guy most people consider the best coach in the NCAA, including Kobe and Lebron.

How is this any different from deciding to go to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/etc.? Reputation, reputation, reputation, internal competition, reputation.

and Alex o'Connell gets recruited over again. Should've come to Cuse, would be key piece instead of gathering splinters at Cameron
of course the only team he gets considerable run is vs. SYR where he shoots lights out. Just our luck.

Come on, man.
1/ No player in the history of history was ever promoted as much as Zion. If you want to create and build a 'brand,' you go to Duke.
2/ You're pretty much guaranteed to be ranked top 5.
3/ You're pretty much guaranteed to be on tv as much/more than any other team.
4/ You're going to be practicing against 5-stars.
5/ You're going to be buying into the whole 'duke culture' thing, and you get that alumni base association.6
6/ There are a ton of Duke players in the NBA, so you're pretty much assured that nothing you do at duke is going to compromise your ability later, nor is there anything to misrepresent about you.
7/ You're getting coached by the guy most people consider the best coach in the NCAA, including Kobe and Lebron.

How is this any different from deciding to go to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/etc.? Reputation, reputation, reputation, internal competition, reputation.
You followed the Adidas trial right?

Zion is the best NBA prospect in over a decade he would have been a star anywhere.
Duke did nothing to help him. His game made Duke likable.
Zion helped Duke more than the other way around.
If Zion went to College of Charleston or Duke he was games would have been on TV.
College basketball doesn’t rate well nationally during the regular season. TV wants stars Zion was a star. College basketball doesn’t rate like the NBA or college football does.

Duke has a great history but the circumstantial evidence around the sport of college basketball recruiting appearing to be dirty due to this Adidas trial I would say Duke is paying for players.

Exposure? Nobody watches college basketball outside of fans of the schools.
Interest in the sport is minuscule
Nationally.
College basketball is relevant nationally 1 month a year.
Unless you are a Zion Williamson or Durant the needle isn’t being moved by college players.
Plus all games on are TV.
They are going to Duke or Kentucky because those teams are cheating.
Why wouldn't an elite recruit choose Duke? You are guaranteed of playing on a team with other elite ultra talented players. You compete and usually win the ACC. A "bad" season is ONLY making it to the Elite 8. You get connected to the "brotherhood" of all the previous Duke greats and K's connections to the NBA. You get the "halo" effect of the prestige of a top ranked academic school --doesn't matter if you're only there a year you have the prestige of the Duke name the rest of your life. My guess is that the school is "clean" -- like Cal they have perfected having an outside entity not connected to the school or boosters provide any "benefits".

Why wouldn't an elite recruit choose Duke? You are guaranteed of playing on a team with other elite ultra talented players. You compete and usually win the ACC. A "bad" season is ONLY making it to the Elite 8. You get connected to the "brotherhood" of all the previous Duke greats and K's connections to the NBA. You get the "halo" effect of the prestige of a top ranked academic school --doesn't matter if you're only there a year you have the prestige of the Duke name the rest of your life. My guess is that the school is "clean" -- like Cal they have perfected having an outside entity not connected to the school or boosters provide any "benefits".
Duke is a great school and has a great tradition and recruits well.
My point was TV exposure in 2019 isn’t a major deciding poInt for these recruits nowadays.
If you are a stud like Zion TV would amend its schedule and put all your games on TV no matter the team you play for.

It doesn’t matter nowadays with these cable channels all the games are TV.

You don’t go to Duke because your games will be on TV you go their because the team is good or they give you or family a bag.

All that stuff you said about Duke could be said about some other schools
too. They were no more special than or only slightly more special than UNC, Kansas, UCLA, Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan St, etc. until the last 6 years on the trails. Now all of a sudden they’re on another planet?

All that stuff you said about Duke could be said about some other schools
too. They were no more special than or only slightly more special than UNC, Kansas, UCLA, Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan St, etc. until the last 6 years on the trails. Now all of a sudden they’re on another planet?

It’s not all of a sudden. Duke has always recruited better than those others programs.

I was there for a lot of them, sport. No need!

Then you’re aware of this.

Duke has had three McDonald’s All-Americans seven times — 1994 (Trajan Langdon, Ricky Price, Steve Wojciechowski), 1997 (Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Chris Burgess), 2005 (Greg Paulus, Josh McRoberts, Eric Boateng), 2006 (Jon Scheyer, Lance Thomas, Gerald Henderson), 2007 (Kyle Singler, Taylor King, Nolan Smith), 2011 (Austin Rivers, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee), 2015 (Luke Kennard, Brandon Ingram, Chase Jeter).

Then you’re aware of this.

Duke has had three McDonald’s All-Americans seven times — 1994 (Trajan Langdon, Ricky Price, Steve Wojciechowski), 1997 (Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Chris Burgess), 2005 (Greg Paulus, Josh McRoberts, Eric Boateng), 2006 (Jon Scheyer, Lance Thomas, Gerald Henderson), 2007 (Kyle Singler, Taylor King, Nolan Smith), 2011 (Austin Rivers, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee), 2015 (Luke Kennard, Brandon Ingram, Chase Jeter).

I’m aware that they didn’t have the number 1 class every single season until the last 5-6 years.

I’m aware that they didn’t have the number 1 class every single season until the last 5-6 years.

So what?

They get McDonalds AA every single year. They get more now because they are leaving after 1 year. This ain’t hard.

Make no mistake. Duke was getting 2,3 and 4 per class over the last 40.

So what?

They get McDonalds AA every single year. They get more now because they are leaving after 1 year. This ain’t hard.

Make no mistake. Duke was getting 2,3 and 4 per class over the last 40.

All McDonalds AA’s aren’t created equally.

Wojo and Greg Paulus ain’t RJ Barrett.

Zion is the best NBA prospect in over a decade he would have been a star anywhere.
If Zion went to College of Charleston or Duke he was games would have been on TV.
College basketball doesn’t rate well nationally during the regular season. TV wants stars Zion was a star. College basketball doesn’t rate like the NBA or college football does.

Duke has a great history but the circumstantial evidence around the sport of college basketball recruiting appearing to be dirty due to this Adidas trial I would say Duke is paying for players.

If Ja Morant decided for some reason to return to school next year, I don't think Murray State would be on ESPN/CBS with regularity. The exposure at Duke is next level. I heard on the radio somewhere recently that Duke games on ESPN averaged 2.2 million this year vs. 1.9 million for NBA games. (My numbers may be slightly off). A good chunk is Zion-based, but a lot of it is brand based.

All McDonalds AA’s aren’t created equally.

Wojo and Greg Paulus ain’t RJ Barrett.

Still getting the most highly rated players year in and year out. What programs have recruited better than Duke in the last 35 years? What program has had more success in that span?

Exposure? Nobody watches college basketball outside of fans of the schools.
Interest in the sport is minuscule
Nationally.
College basketball is relevant nationally 1 month a year.
Unless you are a Zion Williamson or Durant the needle isn’t being moved by college players.
Plus all games on are TV.
They are going to Duke or Kentucky because those teams are cheating.
U really think Cam Reddish would be top 10 talk if he went to UCLA or UCONN? He’s going top 10 because people saw enough of him to see the potential aka EXPOSURE

U really think Cam Reddish would be top 10 talk if he went to UCLA or UCONN? He’s going top 10 because people saw enough of him to see the potential aka EXPOSURE

Yes. Well maybe not UConn.

He was already considered a top 10 pick before the season started. Amazingly his crappy season at Duke doesn’t seem to have changed that. But it’s all potential.

Duke didn’t give him his wingspan.

No one said Zion wouldn’t have been a star elsewhere. I’m saying two things:
• Zion got more exposure at duke than he would have anywhere else. The combination of duke—a media favorite, in the premier conference —plus Zion equals the most exposure;
• More importantly, and the true point of mentioning Zion: these kids JUST SAW all that Zionmania. It’s fresh. It’s current evidence. It’s current proof and a demonstration of what they want. And there is/was no fresher or powerful illustration of what a kid can get out of a college experience.

And back to your claim that a Zion could have received the same exposure elsewhere... Morant may be the second pick, a true college star, and yet I never saw a single game of his. Never saw a minute of him playing. Never saw a commercial featuring him.

The fbi/adidas thing? If these current duke recruits haven’t been paid, they’d prolly assume the players before them haven’t been paid. If the current recruits are getting paid, they’re going to duke because they’re getting paid. Not sure which other high-profile school would be safer to attend if they’re afraid of what he fbi might do. Are you really feeling ‘stung’ because these guys aren’t coming to Syracuse?

I’m not saying duke isn’t cheating. Im only saying that there are still a lot of reasons why a kid would choose to go there. What were you saying about us when we were getting Pearl, DC, and Billy O?

Yes. Well maybe not UConn.

He was already considered a top 10 pick before the season started. Amazingly his crappy season at Duke doesn’t seem to have changed that. But it’s all potential.

Duke didn’t give him his wingspan.
You’re wrong. The exposure and playing on that platform ups. ing Daniel Orton got drafted from UK and he was trash

i feel like you are being a bit disingenuous here. the zion hype went to overdrive in part because he was at duke. almost every game duke plays even against cupcakes is on espn. if zion were at a peripheral P5 school espn would have been overhyping barrett and jones and reddish, until they just couldn't anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom