Defending the fans | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Defending the fans

I live in Braselton GA .. not exactly easy for me to make 5-6 trips there a year ... the whole job, kids ... life thing make it hard. But if it makes people feel better to phrase it that way go for it.

You can't drive up from Chateau Élan for every home game? I guess all those alums that moves to Texas, California, Virginia, Florida, Washington DC, NYC, Boston, North Carolina and South Carolina can't either.

If 30,000 of our fans show up for a basketball game, we have a great fan base, but if those same 30,000 dans show up for a football game, our fan base is a joke? I don't understand that.

For football it is ... we don't even come close to capacity ... 30K for hoops is capacity we should easily get 40-45+ for football.

I am countering some of the excuses as to why we don't have high attendance ... not really hard to figure out ... I hear ... oh Syracuse is a small city ... its larger cities with the attendance ... again false ... then its ... oh well its public vs private school ... didn't seem to be a problem throughout the 80s and 90s then its ... oh number of alums ... again see previous point.

Then its ... oh its the schedule or the opponent so I cite examples where opponent doesn't seem to matter ... then its oh traffic ... pal try to drive through Atlanta to get to a GT game ... seriously. Then its oh Parking sucks ... I park 20 miles away from Tech and take a train in ... not a short bus hop from Skytop which is a hell of a lot faster ... done both. Then its ... oh the school doesn't promote ... Ok so the idea that this school that has been playing since 1888 this little game called football is new to people in that area?

GT is a private school that had nearly 46K show up to watch them play Elon and majority of the alums don't stay in the metro area ... and the student body has a very similar demographic to that of SU ... mostly out of towners to an engineering school that has a student body that doesn't even know what a football looks like ... I have met alums there that could care less but they still get a good showing at the games.

The fact that Penn State gets the numbers they get with a small metro population should tell you everything you need to know about why local support sucks. And news flash the metro area of Syracuse is made up of alums, townies and students. So fan base is all inclusive.

You just mentioned a number of realities...not excuses.,But you also twist the PedSt reality and miss the whole point about some of these schools. Fact is many of them draw from a much larger area, even the whole state, regardless of the immediate city size. Many also have much larger student populations and alumni bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't drive up from Chateau Élan for every home game? I guess all those alums that moves to Texas, California, Virginia, Florida, Washington DC, NYC, Boston, North Carolina and South Carolina can't either.

If I lived in Va it would be half the drive ... much easier. Its 15 hours for me to drive ... Boston and NYC are what 4 hours ... huge difference ... working for a living kinda prevents making that trip on a regular basis.

The University is definitely not helping themselves no doubt about it ... but I heard this rumor that they have been playing football there since oh 1888 or so ... its not much of a secret to those who reside in that area of the state.
Right, but if the point is to build more demand for tickets then why not market to a segment that you already know would be at least reasonably willing to buy your product. It just makes sense.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

See my rationale on Tech in my previous post ... private engineering school that consists of a large student body mostly of out of staters and many from another country ... 47K for Elon ... yes attendance is down in a lot of areas but like I said ... ours is really bad and really is sad for me to watch ... I grew up watching that school and it pains me to see these kids not get the support that myself and lot of others used to give when I resided there.

So then, where did SU go wrong between the 90's and today?

Did you know UK had 46K+ in attendance to watch them at home vs Stanford ... a team they beat 34-3 at the end of the season ... the important precursor is ... UK was 1-9 heading into that game ... and they still had over 46K ... we can't even get that in game where we even our record at 2-2.

Football down here is THE religion. What kind of attendance does Alabama get for a basketball game? They get about 100k for a football game, I believe.

A lot of our alumni are from NYC/Long Island. That's why we take over MSG.

A lot of alumni/transplants live up and down the east coast. That's why we will be taking over plenty of teams gyms in the ACC.

I'm going to the Cuse/Ga Tech game. Curious as to how we show at this game. There are a ton of Cuse alumni and CNY transplants down here.

For football it is ... we don't even come close to capacity ... 30K for hoops is capacity we should easily get 40-45+ for football.

Why does it have to be capacity? We average 23k for hoops. Dome hold 35k, right? Wasn't our football average higher than 35k last year?

You just mentioned a number of realities...not excuses.,But you also twist the PedSt reality and miss the whole point about some of these schools. Fact is many of them draw from a much larger area, even the whole state, regardless of the immediate city size. Many also have much larger student populations and alumni bases.

Yeah and we have two nice large metro populations in Buffalo and Rochester near by and must have no alums or die-hards there right? We have a larger population base to draw from ... pretty simple concept. And yes they are excuses because other fan bases deal with this and people still show up.

If I lived in Va it would be half the drive ... much easier. Its 15 hours for me to drive ... Boston and NYC are what 4 hours ... huge difference ... working for a living kinda prevents making that trip on a regular basis.

That's my point. Too many people moved away and cannot get to games very often.

Yes it is moot because they don't occur on the same day .. Falcon attendance has been good enough to get them a new stadium and UGA is always sold out but we'll just ignore that detail ... whatever.
That wasn't the point. The northeast is a pro sports region, therefore, fan support in the north will never be the same as it is in the south for college football. The thing about UGA and the Falcons was an illustration about how it is opposite in the south. That is all. You're not the only person living in SEC country.

Yeah and we have two nice large metro populations in Buffalo and Rochester near by and must have no alums or die-hards there right? We have a larger population base to draw from ... pretty simple concept. And yes they are excuses because other fan bases deal with this and people still show up.

Why can't Vanderbilt draw? Or Duke or Wake Forrest. Georgia Tech averaged only 43k per home game last year. There's like 6 million people in Atlanta.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be capacity? We average 23k for hoops. Dome hold 35k, right? Wasn't our football average higher than 35k last year?

Holds around 30-31K for hoops ... that is sold out no seats left.

Why can't Vanderbilt draw?

Same reason we don't ... they don't win ... and they never have. But you know what you guys are right ... our fan base is soooo awesome ... some of the admins should go nuke all those threads about empty bleachers because obviously those witnessing this have it all wrong ... we have the best fan base on the planet ...

Same reason we don't ... they don't win ... and they never have. But you know what you guys are right ... our fan base is soooo awesome ... some of the admins should go nuke all those threads about empty bleachers because obviously those witnessing this have it all wrong ... we have the best fan base on the planet ...

Private schools with smaller fan bases? Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest? Obviously, we are not the only school having attendance issues. Northwestern is in Chicago, and they only get about 36k. I don't think we have bad fans, I think we just have less fans than we did back 15-20 years ago.

Last edited:
People in Buffalo don't care about Syracuse football. A former Buffalo resident told me that. The problem with being a private school is that people outside of your immediate area have no reason to identify with you. Additionally, when so many alumni are from areas so far away it's difficult to get support from them too. Both of these reasons are why state schools will draw better than us in down times. They graduate more people every year that stay closer to their school, mostly because it's where so many were originally from. They also get many non-alumni fans simply because they live in the state. It's the whole reason why Gross started the "New York's college team" campaign. We will need a period of consistent success to draw the casual fan and have decent numbers again. The most disappointing thing for me is the lack of support from students. There's no reason they shouldn't be at every game, especially when tickets are free.

Last edited:

Ugh. You're taking the same stance now I am after you mentioned metro Syracuse. We get diddly from around the state. Other schools, especially state schools or large schools draw from all over.

See my rationale on Tech in my previous post ... private engineering school that consists of a large student body mostly of out of staters and many from another country ... 47K for Elon ... yes attendance is down in a lot of areas but like I said ... ours is really bad and really is sad for me to watch ... I grew up watching that school and it pains me to see these kids not get the support that myself and lot of others used to give when I resided there.

• Georgia Tech: 43,955, Down 9 percent
They play in downtown Atlanta. 6 million people in Atlanta. Why can't they do better than that? You said Syracuse only has 600k people, yet Syracuse averaged 39k last year.

We had 35k for Georgetown. Had several 33k plus games as well.

Yes ... when they expand beyond the curtain but have you actually looked at how much of the Dome is not used and how bad that view is?

I wanted to chime in here quickly regarding alumni. I am not sure about what anyone else has experienced, but as an alum I know that the school loves to send mailers looking for donations. I also get advance reminders about homecoming events but not a single piece of communication from the Athletic Department trying to get the Alumni base involved on the sports side of things. When I told my father that I bought season football tickets he said, "do they do anything for you because you're an alum?" I could only laugh. I'm not looking for a discount, I just don't want people to blame the Alumni base because SUAD isn't even trying.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Syracuse has historically done nothing to cultivate alumni. The anti-Duke, anti-UNC in that. In fact, David Faulk has never been asked for a donation (that might've changed within the year). Think about that for a second. Look at the events, etc through the years, it was run like a high school.

I hope guys like Poles turns that around, and that they invest money to make money.

• Georgia Tech: 43,955, Down 9 percent
They play in downtown Atlanta. 6 million people in Atlanta. Why can't they do better than that? You said Syracuse only has 600k people, yet Syracuse averaged 39k last year.

Have you looked at the demographics for GT? FWIW their stadium Bobby Dodd only holds just over 50K ... with an expansion that will be pushing it to 55K .. not much larger than the Dome yet they get about 10K more ... you make it sound like they could house 100K fans ...

Look our fans are wonderful ... the Dome wasn't half empty against Wagner and Tulane ... everyone was hitting the pee troughs for 4 quarters ... its a packed house no matter who we play ... everyone on their feet ... attendance isn't a problem ... life is grand and all that jazz ...

Ugh. You're taking the same stance now I am after you mentioned metro Syracuse. We get diddly from around the state. Other schools, especially state schools or large schools draw from all over.

No I'm not ... not at all ... I had an intern that worked for me last summer ... he is doing grad work at GT ... grew up in Buffalo ... is an SU hoops fan ... so are a bunch of his friends ... asked him about football ... his response ... "The people I know that like SU love the hoops because they win ... been to a lot of basketball games with my dad, we didn't do the football games because they lose." ... His quote not mine ... exemplifies even our locals ...

Live with your head in the sand ... the reality is we should do better attendance wise ... some of that is on SU ... some of that is on the fact that we have a fair weather fan base ... not a difficult thing to grasp. For the cost of a standard season ticket there its pretty affordable compared to some and is the only real attraction in town ... but hey its not an issue ... like I said remove the posts about empty bleachers they obviously don't exist ... they sure as hell didn't exists in the 90s ... but I'm sure so many new obstacles have been put in place to prevent people from physically making it to the games right?

Uh no ... we just stopped winning ... the sooner we all nod our heads up and down and figure that out the sooner we can work that issue ...

The fact is that if during those two decades had attendance issues been present I could easily cling to any of these excuses ... or facts as you call them and say yep those are deterrents from keeping people from going to the games but they aren't. You make it sound like the Dome was never filled at all ... like we never had solid attendance numbers vs capacity ... the sole difference between then and now that matters is our win/loss record ... to some degree opponents help but records are what dictates it.

No I'm not ... not at all ... I had an intern that worked for me last summer ... he is doing grad work at GT ... grew up in Buffalo ... is an SU hoops fan ... so are a bunch of his friends ... asked him about football ... his response ... "The people I know that like SU love the hoops because they win ... been to a lot of basketball games with my dad, we didn't do the football games because they lose." ... His quote not mine ... exemplifies even our locals ...

Live with your head in the sand ... the reality is we should do better attendance wise ... some of that is on SU ... some of that is on the fact that we have a fair weather fan base ... not a difficult thing to grasp. For the cost of a standard season ticket there its pretty affordable compared to some and is the only real attraction in town ... but hey its not an issue ... like I said remove the posts about empty bleachers they obviously don't exist ... they sure as hell didn't exists in the 90s ... but I'm sure so many new obstacles have been put in place to prevent people from physically making it to the games right?

Uh no ... we just stopped winning ... the sooner we all nod our heads up and down and figure that out the sooner we can work that issue ...

The fact is that if during those two decades had attendance issues been present I could easily cling to any of these excuses ... or facts as you call them and say yep those are deterrents from keeping people from going to the games but they aren't. You make it sound like the Dome was never filled at all ... like we never had solid attendance numbers vs capacity ... the sole difference between then and now that matters is our win/loss record ... to some degree opponents help but records are what dictates it.

You keep moving the bar as to what the fan base is. First you complained about metro Syracuse and tried to pull a bunch of numbers. Then you decided you were talking about metro Syracuse and alumni and students. Now you give an example in Buffalo. Blame who you want.