Defense can help you win games, but you gotta have a little offense... | Syracusefan.com

Defense can help you win games, but you gotta have a little offense...

Hoov50

Starter
Well I am not going to sugar coat anything, losing to BC at home is embarrassing for any Top 25 team especially the top ranked team. With that being said the way our offense has played the last two seasons we shouldn't be surprised. Almost every game this year, and most last year, our defense has played well. With the exception of a few guys having career games against Duke our team offense has been horrible against decent competition this season. If you look at the close games we have had this year (Duke being the exception) I think in most cases if someone told us what the opponent would end the game scoring we would predict a 10-15 point win. The end of game stall ball that has been hotly debated on this very board has become our offense for entire games this year. We don't need to be a run and gun team like '92 UNLV, but we do need to take advantage of transition and fast break opportunities more than we do.

I still think we are one if the best teams in a watered-down NCAA, but with the way our offense produces ALL our games will end up nail biters. No matter at comes after this loss I do not believe in a good loss, however I do hope this can serve to refocus the players and alleviate any pressure they may have felt being undefeated.

Well CJ Fair agrees that we need more transition baskets, however after seeing him become the largest offensive black hole tonight since Paul Harris I am not sure if that strengthens my point of view or not...

Before I am jumped all over CJ seemed to avoid passing the ball tonight and tried to take advantage of the size mismatch that LaPhonso kept mentioning even after it was clear he was not making the shots he normally makes.

We had one shooter going into the season and now he's MIA. So now we have zero transition game and zero outside shooting. Defense can only carry you so much.

We had one shooter going into the season and now he's MIA. So now we have zero transition game and zero outside shooting. Defense can only carry you so much.
Exactly what I believe. I don't blame Cooney by the way. When a team has a single consistent deep threat it isn't too hard for a team to contain them. To me the lack of any consistent transition game is the real killer. The frustrating part is that the one or two times we do push the ball each game we have success.

Hoov50 said:
Exactly what I believe. I don't blame Cooney by the way. When a team has a single consistent deep threat it isn't too hard for a team to contain them. To me the lack of any consistent transition game is the real killer. The frustrating part is that the one or two times we do push the ball each game we have success.
I've been saying this for some time now. I can't recall an SU team that has had more difficulty scoring transition baskets. I think you can attribute it to the fact that our guards are not fast, uptempo players,Fair is a plodding old-style player and Grant is not a good ball handler in the open court. Just a strange team. 25-1 but one of the most offensively challenged SU teams I've seen over the last 30 years.

defense wasnt there in the second half either. they got every shot they wanted..it was just a matter of whether they made them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom