Defense Question | Syracusefan.com

Defense Question

pacusewife

Maker of Banners
Trying to learn here.

Are the concerns y'all saw on defense something you think can be improved week-by-week with some DART and practice? BC running hard made me a little nervous. First game and all, but have never been more interested in understanding aspects of the game I don’t fully understand.

Trying to learn here.

Are the concerns y'all saw on defense something you think can be improved week-by-week with some DART and practice? BC running hard made me a little nervous. First game and all, but have never been more interested in understanding aspects of the game I don’t fully understand.

It’s debatable.

We look like we’ve been told to just “hit hard” rather than fundamental tackling.

I’m not confident that can be fixed quickly. It also is dependent if the coaching staff see that as the issue.

A bit concerning that Frans brown response to missed tackling was they need to be tougher because for me it looked like we didn’t understand the fundamental ways to tackle.

Hope they focus on going a little lower and wrapping up and not just slamming their body into the other player.

It’s debatable.

We look like we’ve been told to just “hit hard” rather than fundamental tackling.

I’m not confident that can be fixed quickly. It also is dependent if the coaching staff see that as the issue.

A bit concerning that Frans brown response to missed tackling was they need to be tougher because for me it looked like we didn’t understand the fundamental ways to tackle.

Hope they focus on going a little lower and wrapping up and not just slamming their body into the other player.
You can be sure they know what the problems are, including poor tackling.

Trying to learn here.

They will get more familiar with the scheme as the season goes but there is no guarantee that they’ll be a good run defense.

Defense is about being discipline, fundamentally sound and playing together. They will improve if they do those things consistently.

Last edited:
It’s debatable.

In one of his pressers he said they should be doing exactly what you suggest. He said they stopped doing the stuff they’d been doing all spring/fall camp.

That stuff will be cleaned up. I’m more concerned about interior DL holding up + no Wax vs the run.

It’s debatable.

The tackling form issues I mainly noticed were launching at a player instead of running through the ball carrier, keeping your head up and wrapping. But poor tackling form was only one issue. Schematically being in the correct position, being sure of your responsibilities and carrying them out with 100% confidence and with intensity also appeared to be issues.

New coaches, new scheme, new players, Old players playing new positions equals a recipe for disaster.

Our D is going to get better as the season goes on. Fortunately i believe we can win shoot outs. Our O has the potential to put up lots of points. This is going to be a different year. We will need to put up 30 or more to beat GT

New coaches, new scheme, new players, Old players playing new positions equals a recipe for disaster.

Our D is going to get better as the season goes on. Fortunately i believe we can win shoot outs. Our O has the potential to put up lots of points. This is going to be a different year. We will need to put up 30 or more to beat GT
Our offense is going to be solid but there are going to be games McCord is not going to be as effective, particularly when Teams can get pressure on him and he throws a couple picks. We need the defense to figure some things out quick.

I agree, we need about 3-4 stops or only fg possessions in a game and I would be comfortable with our offense being almost unstoppable.

If our defense comes on line throughout the season and our offense is still humming, no one will want to play us in November

You can be sure they know what the problems are, including poor tackling.

Yes they know what the problems are but will they identify the poor tackling is because they are just “hitting hard” or is that what ERob and Coach Brown believe in? We will see.

Tackling is way more in depth than just hitting hard but some defensive coaches don’t see it that way

Yes they know what the problems are but will they identify the poor tackling is because they are just “hitting hard” or is that what ERob and Coach Brown believe in? We will see.

Tackling is way more in depth than just hitting hard but some defensive coaches don’t see it that way
In my opinion, I think they know that too.

In my opinion, I think they know that too.

As I said, we will see.

Fran’s response was essentially we need to be tougher.

I don’t think the missed tackling was a being tougher issue.

Hence why my response said “it’s debatable”

We will see over the course of the next few games

I agree, we need about 3-4 stops or only fg possessions in a game and I would be comfortable with our offense being almost unstoppable.

If our defense comes on line throughout the season and our offense is still humming, no one will want to play us in November
Some of Ohio's early drives reminded me of some Belichick era Pats defenses. Bend, don't break. Make a team run 10, 12, 14 plays, tighten up in the red zone, force the FG. The Pats D was consistently middle of the pack in terms of yards given up per game, yet was also top 5 in terms of opponents PPG.

My only concern with that is it limits the possessions our O gets. Ohio held a 31/29 ToP advantage. Give us another 2 possessions and I'm sure we'd have scored on at least one of them.

Yes of course it can be fixed. One thing not mentioned that I saw was there was a lot of guys rotating in and out. That will slow as guys don’t do what they should.

Keep in mind, Ohio has an NFL caliber back and a mobile QB so those are 2 tough asks in game 1.

Fran and team will clean up the slop

As I said, we will see.

I'm hoping "tougher" meant getting off blocks quicker, etc.

Counting on your offense to consistently out score your opponent is not a good recipe, especially if your opponent is playing ball control and in the few possessions you have, you have to be totally efficient. That doesn’t leave much room for error.

The grave concern I have is that in addition to the poor tackling, angles, and scheme issues, we also looked slow and couldn’t physically get off blocks. That’s a whole other category of worry because that speaks to physical limitations. It’s much harder to overcome actually having physical player deficiencies.

For instance, is Duce a good safety? We all remember Duce’s freshman year where had several picks. He’s a gambler and he gambled correctly a few times that year. BUT, often forgotten in the story of Duce is he was also toasted several times as well. His freshman year didn’t really carry over to sophomore year and we know what happened at LSU. He looks slow and unable to cover. WRs run by him. Can Duce be fixed at this point or does he just have physical limitations? I don’t know. I think he’s good for a clutch play now and then but I worry about his consistency.

Overall, GT will tell us a lot obviously, but I’ll be happy if I see us running with them physically because mistakes can be corrected, athleticism cannot. I’m hoping for the mistakes to be corrected and the “slow” play to have been an offshoot of overthinking, but I’m concerned.

Some of Ohio's early drives reminded me of some Belichick era Pats defenses. Bend, don't break. Make a team run 10, 12, 14 plays, tighten up in the red zone, force the FG. The Pats D was consistently middle of the pack in terms of yards given up per game, yet was also top 5 in terms of opponents PPG.

My only concern with that is it limits the possessions our O gets. Ohio held a 31/29 ToP advantage. Give us another 2 possessions and I'm sure we'd have scored on at least one of them.

For sure. Only having 1 possession in the first quarter for us was alarming.

But we seemed to settle in after that.

We really were in control of the game most of the game.

Again I think a lot of people had unrealistic expectations of this game. I told everyone I talked to that I thought we would win 45-21.

I was off by a point on Ohio and a TD for us.

I’ll take that as a win.

Counting on your offense to consistently out score your opponent is not a good recipe, especially if your opponent is playing ball control and in the few possessions you have, you have to be totally efficient. That doesn’t leave much room for error.

The grave concern I have is that in addition to the poor tackling, angles, and scheme issues, we also looked slow and couldn’t physically get off blocks. That’s a whole other category of worry because that speaks to physical limitations. It’s much harder to overcome actually having physical player deficiencies.

For instance, is Duce a good safety? We all remember Duce’s freshman year where had several picks. He’s a gambler and he gambled correctly a few times that year. BUT, often forgotten in the story of Duce is he was also toasted several times as well. His freshman year didn’t really carry over to sophomore year and we know what happened at LSU. He looks slow and unable to cover. WRs run by him. Can Duce be fixed at this point or does he just have physical limitations? I don’t know. I think he’s good for a clutch play now and then but I worry about his consistency.

Overall, GT will tell us a lot obviously, but I’ll be happy if I see us running with them physically because mistakes can be corrected, athleticism cannot. I’m hoping for the mistakes to be corrected and the “slow” play to have been an offshoot of overthinking, but I’m concerned.

I don’t think that was forgotten about Duce.

When he left for LSU almost every poster on here said, good luck with him when he gets his first double move.

I’m hoping Coach Fran works with him even more extensively on this

As I said, we will see.

That scary if we’re paying these coaches millions and they don’t know how to address the fundamentals.

You pretty much described a textbook case of how to suck in every facet of defense.

Deuce and Barron having terrible games is very concerning as they are suppose to be leaders.
It was seeing Wax go out wide when Ohio had three WR and a number of big runs came when he did that.
I’m hoping tackle was just due to the guys trying to lay people out and with video proof that they did a poor job we can turn it around for Tech.
It will be interesting to see how the defense counter a running QB.

The staff knows what the issues are and how to address them. I’m not expecting Fran to elaborate with the media. The more detailed conversations are going on in the meeting rooms.

I’m sure they emphasize tackling fundamentals everyday in practice. Sometimes you don’t see it games. There are different factors that causes that.

I think that Duce is limited because of his lack of speed. he is a good redzone defender but i don't like him with a full field to defend.

That scary if we’re paying these coaches millions and they don’t know how to address the fundamentals.
This is crazy talk...its been one game! You actually think that giving a coach-speak non answer in a press conference means they don't know how to teach fundamentals? There are zero takeaways we can take from press conferences, they aren't meant to be that informative. Fran isn't going to go into any details, nor should he

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom