Defense Question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Defense Question

The tackling form & angles can be corrected. That said, I am very concerned that those issues manifested in game 1.

If anything, I would expect our fundamentals to be good in game 1. I would expect good angles & form to be an area of emphasis & differentiation from the prior regime. It's a way for less talented teams to beat more talented teams.

The Ohio player closed out on our offensive player from 10-15 yards away & in a perpendicular line, which is the hardest thing to do, & demolished our player. Tackling from an angle is easier & we constantly did it poorly.

Hopefully Fran nips this issue in the bud. It was not good for Frans tacklers to look like Dinos tacklers.
Frans tacklers looked worse than Dinos tacklers. Seriously.

It’s debatable.

We look like we’ve been told to just “hit hard” rather than fundamental tackling.

I’m not confident that can be fixed quickly. It also is dependent if the coaching staff see that as the issue.

A bit concerning that Frans brown response to missed tackling was they need to be tougher because for me it looked like we didn’t understand the fundamental ways to tackle.

Hope they focus on going a little lower and wrapping up and not just slamming their body into the other player.
Fundamental tackling is something the D needs to review. You can't hit hard without knowing how to position your body and the aiming points of the runner/wr you are going to tackle.

Get low. Proper tackling form involves getting low and keeping a roughly 45 degree angle with your back, which should be straight because your shoulders are back. Squat with your feet still shoulder width apart and bring your hands up into what is sometimes called the "Breakdown" position, your basic tackling form.

1. you are looking for the near foot and near shoulder of the person you are tackling

2. Approach the ball carrier, chop feet, aiming point is the inside hip and lower trunk. Engage ball carrier with shoulder pads (same foot, same shoulder), and head up. Tackle through the ball carrier, do not stop feet. Grab cloth and finish the tackle keeping your head up

3. Tackle/ explode through the body feet constantly moving which will lift the ball carrier of his feet and take him to the ground

You are right. One thing I remember quite well about Dino's teams was solid tackling especially in the open field.

Fundamental tackling is something the D needs to review. You can't hit hard without knowing how to position your body and the aiming points of the runner/wr you are going to tackle.

Get low. Proper tackling form involves getting low and keeping a roughly 45 degree angle with your back, which should be straight because your shoulders are back. Squat with your feet still shoulder width apart and bring your hands up into what is sometimes called the "Breakdown" position, your basic tackling form.

1. you are looking for the near foot and near shoulder of the person you are tackling

2. Approach the ball carrier, chop feet, aiming point is the inside hip and lower trunk. Engage ball carrier with shoulder pads (same foot, same shoulder), and head up. Tackle through the ball carrier, do not stop feet. Grab cloth and finish the tackle keeping your head up

3. Tackle/ explode through the body feet constantly moving which will lift the ball carrier of his feet and take him to the ground
I'm kind of wondering too - just based on how the first half flowed, I feel like the staff felt the D Line would be more disruptive allowing the back 7 to sit a little further back off the LOS rather than crowd it. And since the DL was getting no push and leaving huge holes and not setting the edge, the back was just exploding through the line at a full head of steam and with the backers sitting back a little further by the time they were engaging they were basically on their heels and just lunging to try to do something.

We played fairly well when the field was compressed - basically inside the 10 where we were forced to compress. So I'm wondering if part of the answer is just compressing more toward the line in general.

These are largely the same players though. Its not like they suddenly have been taught differently and forgot how to tackle properly. I'd say it may just be a bit of a first game thing, but they were tackling in pre season camp so I don't quite know the reason.

For me it was everything, scheme, personnel, fundamentals, tackling, intensity. We needed 2 of the 3 DT transfers to be really good, two of them aren't even in the rotation and 1 is just ok.
That's what preseason is for. OK I get maybe one or two of theses things needing a little work.
Even if we fix one thing each week, it may not be until week 6 until we have a somewhat functioning defense. Big Ifs...

These are largely the same players though. Its not like they suddenly have been taught differently and forgot how to tackle properly. I'd say it may just be a bit of a first game thing, but they were tackling in pre season camp so I don't quite know the reason.
I agree here; I get schemes taking time to gel, but it was concerning to see so many absolute whiffs or arms tackles after from lots of guys who have a track record in college of at least being average/above average

Defensively, I thought Wax, Dion Wilson were vary good for the most part, Jaquez, Jobity, Heard, Barnes, Cinco and Duece played alright to good. Definitely room for improvement for all. But each had some good plays and looked like they belonged on the field.

I thought Barron and McDonald were horrible. Grant had some missed tackles, weak coverages. Hastings was a none factor which needs to be better.

Diggs was interesting. He did what he was brought here to do. 2 sacks and a few QB pressures and finished with 8 tackles. But a 2-3 of those big runs were on him. Whether he didn’t set the edge, missed a tackle, over pursued. He has to clean that up. So he had some really good but he had some bad too. I expect Diggs to clean it up because it’s very clear he has “it” and he’s a really good player. Fully expect him to have a double digit sack season, 50+ tackles and a bunch of QB pressures

The staff knows what the issues are and how to address them. I’m not expecting Fran to elaborate with the media. The more detailed conversations are going on in the meeting rooms.

I’m sure they emphasize tackling fundamentals everyday in practice. Sometimes you don’t see it games. There are different factors that causes that.

DL need to punch off the line and keep the LBs clean. LBs need to fill stronger.

It's all fixable because none of it was physical deficits... we had some playing tentatively and some playing hero ball going for big plays and abandoned responsibilities. Coaches will bust their asses this week and it'll get cleaned up

It was bad. Completely surprising actually. Ain't no way bad angles were tolerated at Georgia.

Hopefully Fran is on top of it. Hopefully it's just a symptom of weeding out Dinos players. But, concerned that multiple players did the same thing multiple times and that being evidence of the coaches somehow overlooking this finer point of the game.

I saw a lot of missed tackles but think it will be much better against GT. We have a lot of good athletes and they’ll get good coaching. They’ll figure it out. GT should be a good test of just how ready we are to compete. Honestly, I’m a believer in this team and our coaches. LGO!!

Some of Ohio's early drives reminded me of some Belichick era Pats defenses. Bend, don't break. Make a team run 10, 12, 14 plays, tighten up in the red zone, force the FG. The Pats D was consistently middle of the pack in terms of yards given up per game, yet was also top 5 in terms of opponents PPG.

My only concern with that is it limits the possessions our O gets. Ohio held a 31/29 ToP advantage. Give us another 2 possessions and I'm sure we'd have scored on at least one of them.
I also had that Patriots comparison when thinking of the defense performance. The bend but don't break philosophy.

The Patriots were known for letting the opponent catch short passes and making sure tackles, while locking down the deep routes.

Their best defenses also had huge unmovable defensive tackles and nose guards. It was very difficult to run up the middle in those teams.

After thinking about it, I don't think a Patriots defense is what Syracuse has. Many of the yards we have up were from missed tackles, not "keep them in front of you" defense.

If they made every tackle, Ohio didn't get nearly as many yards, nor nearly as many points.

Last edited:
Our offense is going to be solid but there are going to be games McCord is not going to be as effective, particularly when Teams can get pressure on him and he throws a couple picks. We need the defense to figure some things out quick.
GTwill blitz alot...we better get ball of quick screens or quick across the field

I was shocked. The last thing I expected from a Fran Brown team was not being physical enough. Every indication from the spring and fall camps was that strength and physicality would be there calling card.
The more I think about it looking back, I think the DLine was the biggest issue - the lack of aggressiveness and penetration into the backfield I think surprised Fran / ERob. They were probably expecting that based on how the backers were positioned. Only thing I can think of.

The more I think about it looking back, I think the DLine was the biggest issue and the center of it set the tone.
I thought the DL was fine. They set the line. I though all the LBs were bad, no matter what Wax PFF says he was out of position on a ton of plays.

I thought the DL was fine. They set the line. I thought all the LBs were bad, no matter what Wax PFF says he was out of position on a ton of plays.
In the second half the line was better. In the first half no way.

Yes they know what the problems are but will they identify the poor tackling is because they are just “hitting hard” or is that what ERob and Coach Brown believe in? We will see.

Tackling is way more in depth than just hitting hard but some defensive coaches don’t see it that way
If its not working they will change their beliefs. These guys aren't stupid and there jobs depend on it.
These are basic ideas I was taught in pop warner by coaches with no experience.

For sure. Only having 1 possession in the first quarter for us was alarming.

But we seemed to settle in after that.

We really were in control of the game most of the game.

Again I think a lot of people had unrealistic expectations of this game. I told everyone I talked to that I thought we would win 45-21.

I was off by a point on Ohio and a TD for us.

I’ll take that as a win.
A touchdown they stole from us with that uncalled hands to the face.

Agreed.

I know people get all hot and bothered over deferring, but I say take the ball and put your boot on the opponent's neck right away.
Yeah but if it doesn't work its a double whammy. I get what youre saying but in the second half you know more of whats needed.
Less risk and if you're down, you will have the advantage of knowing how much risk to take.

Deuce and Barron having terrible games is very concerning as they are suppose to be leaders.
It was seeing Wax go out wide when Ohio had three WR and a number of big runs came when he did that.
I’m hoping tackle was just due to the guys trying to lay people out and with video proof that they did a poor job we can turn it around for Tech.
It will be interesting to see how the defense counter a running QB.
One things for sure - we are going to need to get penetration in their backfield to disrupt things and so that he doesn’t get up a head of steam. They did a great job of that at the goal line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom