Defensive line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Defensive line

Does the defensive line get less rest (seconds between plays) than an opponents offensive line? Are offensive lineman in better shape than defensive lineman? How does time of possession wear down the defensive line any more than the offensive line that is on the field just as much, physically speaking?

Perhaps, if an offense continuously runs the ball down a defense's throat, especially in situations where each team's lineman are of relatively equal stout, stature, etc., maybe the "wear down" is more on the mental side (demoralizing) then the physical one? Where, dare I say, guys relatively quit...or are simply going through the motions at that time?

O line has numbers of 5 v 4 or 5 v 3. You can absorb only so many body blows before breakdowns occur. You can offset this by rotating your d linemen more like cuse does. Even Clemson does that. But it only goes so far. This would happen at every single level of football.

It's a year later. Where's the beef? That excuse is getting old.
I don't think it's being used as an excuse. But, it is reality, and the coaches are doing their best to compete with the talent they can get.

It's a year later. Where's the beef? That excuse is getting old.
Really! I am sure Dino purposely took nobody because he is much dumber than u and can’t get anyone who meets your prescribed criteria, and is a horrible coach and can’t recruit … does that make u feel better now! (I just don’t get people that continuously post this stuff) your incredible unfledgling support of the team and the Dino will always be noted and appreciated!!!

O line has numbers of 5 v 4 or 5 v 3. You can absorb only so many body blows before breakdowns occur. You can offset this by rotating your d linemen more like cuse does. Even Clemson does that. But it only goes so far. This would happen at every single level of football.

Every single level? Well, I don't recall that being the case on my Pop Warner team. Our D line dominated and our best guys never came out. We just sucked it up and kicked arse! ;):)

Even with bigger guys teams like ND and Clemson are going to get yards running it up the middle with the kind of backs they have and their O lines. This was our achilles heel position before everyone started getting hurt.

Pitt might have the best RB of them all though tough stretch of games for us.

This was a big off season mistake. I’ve been banging this drum and many others on this board. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out this needed to be addressed. Why it wasn’t still baffles me
It isn't like a grocery store where you just go down a row and pick up a big d lineman. They tried. They failed. What they could have got that was bigger, wasn't better than what they had.

Even with bigger guys teams like ND and Clemson are going to get yards running it up the middle with the kind of backs they have and their O lines. This was our achilles heel position before everyone started getting hurt.

Pitt might have the best RB of them all though tough stretch of games for us.
We have to win the turnover battle with those teams. Yesterday, we didn't. We have to score a lot of pts and keep the ball. We didn't. That is the key over the next three games.

Really! I am sure Dino purposely took nobody because he is much dumber than u and can’t get anyone who meets your prescribed criteria, and is a horrible coach and can’t recruit … does that make u feel better now! (I just don’t get people that continuously post this stuff) your incredible unfledgling support of the team and the Dino will always be noted and appreciated!!!
That's not the point. Everybody knows they tried to get DTs off the portal last year and that those targets went elsewhere. However, I'm seeing little evidence on the recruiting side that they will have more success this cycle. That's the concern. And, by the way, I fully support Dino.

Stanford d line is awfully young. They start 2 junior and 2 freshman. The backups at those positions are 3 rs freshman, and a junior. They do have a beef advantage over our d-linemen though. Held ND to less than 150 on the ground. Maybe just a bad day for ND?
Or maybe Stanford DT's just played better than us. Hard to compare two different defenses. We do some things different schematically than them.

It was more about the DL being younger and less experienced than a good veteran ND O line. ND backs did a good job of being patient and cutting back where the LB’s vacated. Not making excuses but their O line is good. It was the best position group Freeman inherited. They would have done the same thing to bigger inexperienced D lineman. The lost of Lockett doesn’t help but that’s football. The group will be a little bigger and more stronger next year. Will be able to handle offensive fronts like this better.
It’s a good point about our guys coming back bigger next year, Coach. Lockett coming back will help and getting Thompson back will be huge, he is such a great run stopper. I do hope we can find a big dude with speed in the portal, let’s face it, that will be the place we can find someone like that, HS kids with that combo go to the usual big name places, not SU. Portal was a struggle last year however

It’s a good point about our guys coming back bigger next year, Coach. Lockett coming back will help and getting Thompson back will be huge, he is such a great run stopper. I do hope we can find a big dude with speed in the portal, let’s face it, that will be the place we can find someone like that, HS kids with that combo go to the usual big name places, not SU. Portal was a struggle last year however
I agree. I want a bigger guy that can move too. A quality transfer might find us more attractive with the success of this season.

I agree. I want a bigger guy that can move too. A quality transfer might find us more attractive with the success of this season.
That’s my hope too. A lot of guys coming back next year too, potential for another solid year

speaking of defensive line, sometime in the 4th quarter linton got subbed for Okechukwu and upon getting to the sideline he took his helmet off and slammed it to the ground. A support staffer cameover and he went back in the game
Saw this. Linton was caught in the heat of the moment. He was actually hurt on the play and was getting up really slow and almost didn't stand up. The coach saw that and subbed him. Linton wanted to stay on as a competitor but he was hurt. He had to come off.

We were fine until injuries hit. Next year i think we are going to be really good up-front. Just want a couple of kids over 275. Maybe Josh

The # of ACL and other leg injuries, are they related to the new turf?
Conditioning?
Coaching - poor technique?
Or just bad luck?

I'll play...I played Jacee/Pop Warner football in my youth, does that count? Baseball was my game though and the one in which I was the best at.

However, I doubt at all you couldn't care less of what sport I played and wasn't your post's broader intent. I find it quite interesting when folks try to make things personal (when it's seemingly not intended as a pleasantry or compliment) relative to one's post, especially when one doesn't know the other personally.

Anyways, I'm capable of listening to what you or anyone that did play the game (at a high(er) level) has to offer in regards to their opinion.

I could explain to you some of the intricate differences, combined with things you should know that have happened through this season.

But since you mentioned never coming out of games while playing pop Warner and the fact you can’t process the things that have occurred so far this season into your thinking……. I doubt my efforts would be worth the effort in any way. I typically get paid to think and write but I do it on this board for free for the benefit of everyone here, in this case it doesn’t seem like a worthy endeavor.

Prior to the NC State game, I raised the issue of our DLine being small.
It was thought to be heresy. We didn't need size because OUR scheme was different.
Our Dline was fine because our linemen were "explosive". Well in our last 2 contests our different scheme has given up over 500 yards on the ground.
If there was merit to playing 260 lb and under Dlinemen in P5 conferences, wouldn't we see it from other teams?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom