Defensive line | Syracusefan.com

Defensive line

shu 49

All Conference
I think we absolutely have to get bigger guys up front for these power teams we play. I know the 3-3-5 is a lighter defense but if we can get a stud that can play fast at 295 why not get them. Or 6 guys at 275-280 across the board to at least play with these power teams. Plus missing Thompson was big in that particular game. Darton is absolutely giving us his all but he is starting to show how tired he was bye getting up slow towards end of third. Fresh he is a stud.

speaking of defensive line, sometime in the 4th quarter linton got subbed for Okechukwu and upon getting to the sideline he took his helmet off and slammed it to the ground. A support staffer cameover and he went back in the game

I think we absolutely have to get bigger guys up front for these power teams we play. I know the 3-3-5 is a lighter defense but if we can get a stud that can play fast at 295 why not get them. Or 6 guys at 275-280 across the board to at least play with these power teams. Plus missing Thompson was big in that particular game. Darton is absolutely giving us his all but he is starting to show how tired he was bye getting up slow towards end of third. Fresh he is a stud.
It was more about the DL being younger and less experienced than a good veteran ND O line. ND backs did a good job of being patient and cutting back where the LB’s vacated. Not making excuses but their O line is good. It was the best position group Freeman inherited. They would have done the same thing to bigger inexperienced D lineman. The lost of Lockett doesn’t help but that’s football. The group will be a little bigger and more stronger next year. Will be able to handle offensive fronts like this better.

This was a big off season mistake. I’ve been banging this drum and many others on this board. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out this needed to be addressed. Why it wasn’t still baffles me
Everyone banged the drum. The staff did too. The best D lineman they recruited chose other teams.

It was more about the DL being younger and less experienced than a good veteran ND O line. ND backs did a good job of being patient and cutting back where the LB’s vacated. Not making excuses but their O line is good. It was the best position group Freeman inherited. They would have done the same thing to bigger inexperienced D lineman. The lost of Lockett doesn’t help but that’s football. The group will be a little bigger and more stronger next year. Will be able to handle offensive fronts like this better.
Stanford d line is awfully young. They start 2 junior and 2 freshman. The backups at those positions are 3 rs freshman, and a junior. They do have a beef advantage over our d-linemen though. Held ND to less than 150 on the ground. Maybe just a bad day for ND?

Defense held up pretty well considering 14 of ND's 41 points was because of the offense and special teams. ND also controlled possession for nearly 66% of the game. Half of that is the long drives by ND because they ran the ball well, but it's also the offense having one too many 3 and outs.

Our lack of stout on the defensive line and weakness defending the run between the tackles were exposed by a weak UVA team. We won that game by a thread, and then we played Wagner. Afterwards, we had two weeks to prepare for NCST. Fortunately for us, they came into that game a far different team then they were going into their Clemson and FSU games.

There was quite a bit of chatter here about how UVA exposed our D and gave opponents a blue print so to speak, especially with the much harder schedule coming after our bye week. NCST, however, seemingly didn't game plan running it down our throats between the tackles. They played more into our strengths with more outside the tackle type runs, to their backup QB's dual threat type strenths, etc.

Clemson did have a lot of success running the ball between the tackles, just as many feared, as it's an obvious weakness. However, their 4 turnovers really hurt their cause, although, they still had nearly 300 yards rushing.

ND followed the blue print and simply ran it down our throats (again between the tackles where our greatest weakness lies on D) and dared SU to stop them, which they were quite confident we couldn't. And, for the most part, we couldn't. ND dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, in the trenches, and if was gut wrenching watching it as an SU fan knowing we were helpless.

The announcers kept commenting about it, and they seemed miffed as to why ND would even attempt to run off tackle playing into SU's strength due to their lateral speed. Most running plays off tackle were not successful that ND attempted, but up the middle time and time again we simply got gashed.

Moving forward, as many indicated after the UVA game, an opponent of ours that fails to follow the same/similar game plan should really have their heads examined.

Last edited:
Stanford d line is awfully young. They start 2 junior and 2 freshman. The backups at those positions are 3 rs freshman, and a junior. They do have a beef advantage over our d-linemen though. Held ND to less than 150 on the ground. Maybe just a bad day for ND?

Stanford also had the ball from 37 minutes compared to NDs 23…. Yesterday it was nd for 37 minutes versus our 23.

The point being is time of possession and number of plays matter. Any defensive line would wear down if asked to do that much.

Of course we do. I dont care how quick someone is. You need guys with size to compete with run heavy teams formations.

Stanford also had the ball from 37 minutes compared to NDs 23…. Yesterday it was nd for 37 minutes versus our 23.

The point being is time of possession and number of plays matter. Any defensive line would wear down if asked to do that much.
The time of possession and number of plays compounded an already poor match up. It was clear from the start that the DL was getting dominated at the LOS all game.

But i agree with the other OP, the real problem was on offense.

I'm not an Xs and Os guy, and I admire Darton's toughness, but I always thought the 3-3-5 required a big, run-stuffing DT.

Everyone banged the drum. The staff did too. The best D lineman they recruited chose other teams.
Cody Roscoe had another year of eligibility but tried (as was his right) professional football. Although he was undersized, he an outstanding whirling dervish edge pass rusher. Cody would have helped immensely.

Last edited:

Does the defensive line get less rest (seconds between plays) than an opponents offensive line? Are offensive lineman in better shape than defensive lineman? How does time of possession wear down the defensive line any more than the offensive line that is on the field just as much, physically speaking?

Perhaps, if an offense continuously runs the ball down a defense's throat, especially in situations where each team's lineman are of relatively equal stout, stature, etc., maybe the "wear down" is more on the mental side (demoralizing) then the physical one? Where, dare I say, guys relatively quit...or are simply going through the motions at that time?

Does the defensive line get less rest (seconds between plays) than an opponents offensive line? Are offensive lineman in better shape than defensive lineman? How does time of possession wear down the defensive line any more than the offensive line that is on the field just as much, physically speaking?

Perhaps, if an offense continuously runs the ball down a defense's throat, especially in situations where each team's lineman are of relatively equal stout, stature, etc., maybe the "wear down" is more on the mental side (demoralizing) then the physical one? Where, dare I say, guys relatively quit...or are simply going through the motions at that time?

You didn’t play football did you…..

What!!! Big Dlinemen that could start are sought after by other schools!!! And some of them pick other colleges to attend. Well my mind is officially blown.

Dang, it sucks as a P5 school some of those other guys chose Marshall. ;)

You didn’t play football did you…..

I'll play...I played Jacee/Pop Warner football in my youth, does that count? Baseball was my game though and the one in which I was the best at.

However, I doubt at all you couldn't care less of what sport I played and wasn't your post's broader intent. I find it quite interesting when folks try to make things personal (when it's seemingly not intended as a pleasantry or compliment) relative to one's post, especially when one doesn't know the other personally.

Anyways, I'm capable of listening to what you or anyone that did play the game (at a high(er) level) has to offer in regards to their opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom