Defensive line | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Defensive line

Any defensive line on the field for 37 minutes is going to break down.

The d line would be helped dramatically by an offense that is not consistently 3 and out.
This. Absolutely this.

Same story since 2019. No sustained drives or points off turnovers KILLS our D. They’re great but not supermen

I could explain to you some of the intricate differences, combined with things you should know that have happened through this season.

But since you mentioned never coming out of games while playing pop Warner and the fact you can’t process the things that have occurred so far this season into your thinking……. I doubt my efforts would be worth the effort in any way. I typically get paid to think and write but I do it on this board for free for the benefit of everyone here, in this case it doesn’t seem like a worthy endeavor.

;)

If the incoming freshman Perry really is 265 already, he might be exactly what the defense needs next year.
That guy looks like he could dominate WWE tomorrow - I have high hopes for him.

Any defensive line on the field for 37 minutes is going to break down.

The d line would be helped dramatically by an offense that is not consistently 3 and out.
I get that in the fourth quarter, but their backs were gashing us in the first drive.

The DL is fine. Yes, we could upgrade talent wise. The bigger issue this year is youth vs size. We did not lose the game because of the DL. The O, STs, and coaching caused us to lose the game. Early 4th Q it was 24-17 and the D had given up 17 of those points.

Why do we have DL threads when the STs this year have been an issue all year? Yes, they are better than last year's disaster but it is much worse than the Lustig STs. Besides the punting issues, we had a near fumble on a PR, and gave up a big KR to start the 2nd half. We have been good on FGs and blocking FGs/PATs. The rest of STs have been a big disappointment this year.

Why do we have DL threads when the STs this year have been an issue all year?
Because fans are reactionary. (I am myself). We react to the moment. Since ND had a good day running the ball people want to bring up size. Size doesnt guarantee anything. If it did bigger offensive lines would destroy us every play. Everyone knew the DL was going to be the weakness of the defense this year. Every team in the country has a weakness or has depth issues somewhere.

Last edited:
Saw this. Linton was caught in the heat of the moment. He was actually hurt on the play and was getting up really slow and almost didn't stand up. The coach saw that and subbed him. Linton wanted to stay on as a competitor but he was hurt. He had to come off.
Rhino came over just after he sat down, and talked him down. Nice move by a team leader.

The # of ACL and other leg injuries, are they related to the new turf?
Conditioning?
Coaching - poor technique?
Or just bad luck?
Let’s just donate the field turf to a local high school and roll in trays of grass for 7 games. It’s not this hard.

Let’s just donate the field turf to a local high school and roll in trays of grass for 7 games. It’s not this hard.

Need it for lacrosse also. Where would you store it? What kind of expense are we looking at?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot easier to say things are so easy on the internet than having to actually do it.

Cody Roscoe had another year of eligibility but tried (as was his right) professional football. Although he was undersized, he an outstanding whirling dervish edge pass rusher. Cody would have helped immensely.
No he didn't. Used up his eligibility in 2021. He played over 4 games a season for 5 years. Got the additional with the COVID year.

I'm fine with our scheme and the base set being a 260-265 lbs explosive DT if that is all we can get that is explosive but I still feel like there is a roll for having a decent 295 lbs DT that we can rotate in when we know they are just going to constantly run it straight up the middle between the tackles. That still seems like it should help even in our unique 3-3-5 scheme.

But really the problem is we didn't recruit enough big man depth for the DL in 2019, 2020 and 2021 that would be ready to contribute now. Many of us saw this coming way before it happened. And the Coaches got lucky in that they got an extra year out of lots of the bigs because of the added COVID year of eligibility. Because these depth issues would have arose in 2021 instead. And really thank god Darton developed as nicely as he has.

I'm guessing maybe they just didn't sign guys because they didn't like what they were able to get talent wise and just hoped the thin positional depth would be an selling opportunity the following years to get better talent. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me anyway.

Last edited:
It’s so easy everyone is doing it. ;)
Exactly. I'm really not trying to be a party pooper "this is impossible" guy. But I used to do a communications for a large company, If you don't think the details through before you release something, it can be embarrassing. I'm annoying that way - I know it.

I think we absolutely have to get bigger guys up front for these power teams we play. I know the 3-3-5 is a lighter defense but if we can get a stud that can play fast at 295 why not get them. Or 6 guys at 275-280 across the board to at least play with these power teams. Plus missing Thompson was big in that particular game. Darton is absolutely giving us his all but he is starting to show how tired he was bye getting up slow towards end of third. Fresh he is a stud.
I see SU just landed another OL. I would like to see a bigger body in the middle too. But, if they can’t land those big fish they should at least have more 265-270lbers too rotate. Did they think Lockett was going to last all year? How much more can Darton take? I also think the defense would be fine, even with the loses, if the offense could sustain drives and give the D some rest and maybe play from in front instead of from behind. Throwing bombs is not the answer. Jerry Rice ran a slant, seemingly every other play. Seems like the easiest route to get yardage, but they prefer the bomb. Seems odd. Just my stoner opinion

The DL is fine. Yes, we could upgrade talent wise. The bigger issue this year is youth vs size. We did not lose the game because of the DL. The O, STs, and coaching caused us to lose the game. Early 4th Q it was 24-17 and the D had given up 17 of those points.

Why do we have DL threads when the STs this year have been an issue all year? Yes, they are better than last year's disaster but it is much worse than the Lustig STs. Besides the punting issues, we had a near fumble on a PR, and gave up a big KR to start the 2nd half. We have been good on FGs and blocking FGs/PATs. The rest of STs have been a big disappointment this year.
I don't think the STs have been an issue all year. I think it was just one game.

I posted this breakdown about who's returning next year on the DL earlier in the year, when Lockett got injured. But we have a LOT of returning players next season on DL:

DEs:
  • Caleb Okechukwu 6-4 268
  • Jatius Geer 6-6 235
  • Steve Linton 6-4 220
  • Chase Simmons 6-4 257
  • Kevin Jobity 6-4 247
  • Denis Jacquez 6-4 240
  • Francis Nolton 6-4 252

DTs:
  • Kevon Darton 5-11 267
  • Terry Lockett 6-3 269
  • Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff 6-4 267
  • Belizaire Bassette 6-0 260
  • Josh Hough 6-3 300+

incoming frosh:
  • Rashard Perry 6-3 250 -- projects at both DT / DE
  • Jalil Smith 6-5 230 -- projects at DE

Break Glass In Case of Emergency:
  • Garth Barclay 6-7 277
  • Elijah Wright 6-3 273
Notes:
  • Barclay is a former OT who's shifted to DT. He's been in the program for 2 years, but is new to DLine. Light frame, given his height.
  • Wright is a CNY [Solvay] who is a walk on. No idea if he's athletic enough to ever see the field. He's got the requisite size.

CONCLUSIONS -- although we are facing depth constraints at DT this year, it will be erased next year -- both in terms of quantity, quality, and experienced depth. Tony White plays TONS of DL, and uses many of them interchangeably. We are going to be able to come at people in waves next year. And even better, Darton won't have to be an iron man -- which will help against the run.

The key for DL in the 3-3-5 is ATHLETICISM. Right now, the guys we have who fit the mold best are in the 260-270 range, but hopefully the improved performance this year will enable us to land guys who have the requisite athleticism, but who are also an increment "heavier" [I'm looking at you, Florida commit Will Norman]. Help could also come from an unexpected source, like Josh Hough, if he is ready to go next year.

But overall, improvement against the run could come form just having Lockett back, and the entire group of DL principals being a year more experienced and having another year in the S&C program.

I don't think the STs have been an issue all year. I think it was just one game.

They were bad vs NC State and bad vs ND. Punting has been an issue all year. The return and coverage teams have been below average. There have been plenty of penalties and even a TO.

Prior to the NC State game, I raised the issue of our DLine being small.
It was thought to be heresy. We didn't need size because OUR scheme was different.
Our Dline was fine because our linemen were "explosive". Well in our last 2 contests our different scheme has given up over 500 yards on the ground.
If there was merit to playing 260 lb and under Dlinemen in P5 conferences, wouldn't we see it from other teams?
The issue is the offense doing nothing in the second half vs Clemson and first vs ND.

They haven’t been the reason why the team has lost the last two.

The issue is the offense doing nothing in the second half vs Clemson and first vs ND.

They haven’t been the reason why the team has lost the last two.

Agreed -- pointing to the DT against the run is the symptom, not the problem. Offense didn't do that part.

Best defense to limit power running teams effectiveness against us is to move the sticks and keep the D off the field. And in fewer snaps, the defense can't be exploited the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom