Defensive line | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Defensive line

Agreed -- pointing to the DT against the run is the symptom, not the problem.

Best defense to limit power running teams effectiveness against us is to move the sticks and keep the D off the field. And in fewer snaps, the defense can't be exploited.

The D does need to take some responsibility. White seems to be bend but don't break in the 1st half and then attacks in the 2nd half. Knowing what ND would try to do and Shrader's injury, IMO we needed to come out attacking on D. I feel the same way about this week's game.

The D does need to take some responsibility. White seems to be bend but don't break in the 1st half and then attacks in the 2nd half. Knowing what ND would try to do and Shrader's injury, IMO we needed to come out attacking on D. I feel the same way about this week's game.
we clearly went more down hill and attacked vs ND and it led to some better outcomes for several drives.. It helped ND has no idea what to do on offense.

we clearly went more down hill and attacked vs ND and it led to some better outcomes for several drives.. It helped ND has no idea what to do on offense.
They didn't have to think much. Wasn't rocketship science - run up the middle.

Cody Roscoe had another year of eligibility but tried (as was his right) professional football. Although he was undersized, he an outstanding whirling dervish edge pass rusher. Cody would have helped immensely.

Roscoe exhausted eligibility

He came in as a grad transfer.

He played his one year (2020) and was offered a free Covid year so played 2021.

Technically he was given an extra year.

He had no years left

Last edited:
I see SU just landed another OL. I would like to see a bigger body in the middle too. But, if they can’t land those big fish they should at least have more 265-270lbers too rotate. Did they think Lockett was going to last all year? How much more can Darton take? I also think the defense would be fine, even with the loses, if the offense could sustain drives and give the D some rest and maybe play from in front instead of from behind. Throwing bombs is not the answer. Jerry Rice ran a slant, seemingly every other play. Seems like the easiest route to get yardage, but they prefer the bomb. Seems odd. Just my stoner opinion
I agree and further more have u noticed Gadsden not going in motion nearly as much as he did in beginning of season.

If you mean that the defensive play calling should have been different, I can get behind that.

And I certainly agree that our personnel aren't optimally suited to line up and stop teams from running the ball. BUT I'm also not going to throw them under the bus. Darton has been a warrior -- an absolute godsend, given that he is a former walk on now being asked to play 85% of the defensive snaps. And Lockett was pretty damn good, and him splitting time with Darton made a difference earlier in the season, and would help offset the disadvantage somewhat.

But at the end of the day, we didn't lose either of these games because we couldn't stop the run -- it's because the offense didn't do their part. Both in terms of keeping the defense off the field, and also for failing to capitalize on opportunities that Clemson gift wrapped them 2 games ago, and several prospective momentum changing drives last weekend against ND [most notably, from midfield right before the half, right before we failed to move the chains and promptly gave them the ball back for a TD right before half]. The D also wasn't responsible for the early pick six on the first play of the game.

So I don't lay the loss at the feet of the defensive line, they've risen to the occasion for the most part, even despite last week's frustrating play against the run.

If you mean that the defensive play calling should have been different, I can get behind that.

And I certainly agree that our personnel aren't optimally suited to line up and stop teams from running the ball. BUT I'm also not going to throw them under the bus. Darton has been a warrior -- an absolute godsend, given that he is a former walk on now being asked to play 85% of the defensive snaps. And Lockett was pretty damn good, and him splitting time with Darton made a difference earlier in the season, and would help offset the disadvantage somewhat.

But at the end of the day, we didn't lose either of these games because we couldn't stop the run -- it's because the offense didn't do their part. Both in terms of keeping the defense off the field, and also for failing to capitalize on opportunities that Clemson gift wrapped them 2 games ago, and several prospective momentum changing drives last weekend against ND [most notably, from midfield right before the half, right before we failed to move the chains and promptly gave them the ball back for a TD right before half]. The D also wasn't responsible for the early pick six on the first play of the game.

So I don't lay the loss at the feet of the defensive line, they've risen to the occasion for the most part, even despite last week's frustrating play against the run.

IMO the game plan on both sides of the ball made little sense given Shrader.

As I said earlier we didn't lose because of our run D. At the same time they shouldn't get a free pass. I expected them to perform better. Clemson is a better team and we played better on the road defensively.

Notre Dame struggles to score 20 points. We basically gave up 30 points to them. Although the field position did have something to do with that.

IMO the game plan on both sides of the ball made little sense given Shrader.

As I said earlier we didn't lose because of our run D. At the same time they shouldn't get a free pass. I expected them to perform better. Clemson is a better team and we played better on the road defensively.

Notre Dame struggles to score 20 points. We basically gave up 30 points to them. Although the field position did have something to do with that.

As did turnovers / a blocked punt that gave them the ball inside our 5.

None of which was on the D.

I wasn't including those 14 points.

Doesn't change the fact that the primary reason for the loss was the offense under performing.

Move the sticks. Change the lopsided TOP. Keep the ball out of ND's hands. Give the defense a more adequate breather so that they don't wear down as much. Minimize three-and-outs. Don't compound three-and-outs by having two incompletions that stop the clock. Maybe put some additional points on the board, as a function of amassing more yardage.

Since that didn't happen, ND was able to dominate TOP and play to their one-dimensional strength.

gotta do all we can to sell out against the run against Pitt, force Slovis to make plays, Pitt has 7 TDs through the air the entire season, no one on the roster has more than 2 TD receptions . If we can "hold" Abanikanda to 130-140 yards and 1-2 TDs we absolutely can win the game if we can start moving the football .

Doesn't change the fact that the primary reason for the loss was the offense under performing.

Move the sticks. Change the lopsided TOP. Keep the ball out of ND's hands. Give the defense a more adequate breather so that they don't wear down as much. Maybe put some additional points on the board.

Since that didn't happen, ND was able to dominate TOP and play to their one-dimensional strength.
agreed, in this day and age 365-370 yards of total offense isn't a ton, that is what ND had and it would have been less if we could have sustained some drives. Our run D obviously is vulnerable, but don't exacerbate it by playing 3 and out crappy offense.

agreed, in this day and age 365-370 yards of total offense isn't a ton, that is what ND had and it would have been less if we could have sustained some drives. Our run D obviously is vulnerable, but don't exacerbate it by playing 3 and out crappy offense.

Look, there's no sugar coating that we got pushed around inside on Saturday.

But your post is exactly why I view it as a symptom of the actual problem, not the problem itself.

The offense hasn't come through the past two weeks, outside of some flashes early in both games and a couple of exiting series from CDRW in the second half last weekend.

Needs to change over these last four games if we want to lock down second place in the league and a possible Orange Bowl berth.

Wish he had another year and if he did would have stayed.

He would have been a game changer
He's in the CFL, I looked it up. He's played in 2 games so he is playing pro football. Good for him, I loved his spin move off the edge.

Last edited:
The loss to ND was a team effort...
On offense our QB throws a pic 6 on play 1. A handful of drops.
ST gives up a blocked punt...Going for it on 4th and 7 gave ND
a short field (60 yards) and 80 secs...they took advantage before the half.
Point being if your D is going to give up 250 yards on the ground to power running teams,
CUSE has to be darn tight in other phases and score 30 points to have a shot.

I agree and further more have u noticed Gadsden not going in motion nearly as much as he did in beginning of season.
Maybe that’s why they’ve at least cut down on the false starts lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom