Definition of Insanity (we still have a facilities problem) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Definition of Insanity (we still have a facilities problem)

The QB from Aquinas, John O'Korn, says in an interview up on OrangeFizz that Syracuse has "great facilities.":noidea:

He hasn't visited them... but yeah I saw that also. Surprised me quite a bit.

Maybe Chandler Jones will get a massive deal in a couple years and will donate a couple to his old DC, now HC at SU.

For starters how about breaking the ridiculous "lifetime" naming rights contract with Carrier? There's 20 million right there. Absolutely absurd that those rights were sold for 2.65 million for eternity. Carrier has abandoned the city. They are NOT a corporate partner. Just a name. It's like we still have our ex girlfriend's picture next to our bed and we haven't talked to her in 10 years.

Fight that contract. Sell the naming rights. It is mind boggling to me that the powers that be would A) be so shortsighted that they would make the naming rights lifetime (dont think Carrier wouldn't have done it for 20 years? 30?). B) don't have a team of lawyers fighting to void that contract. It's the most valuable asset we have. After 30+ years and considering they are no longer in the area, you would think there was a way out. Mountain Dew Dome, The Hoffman's Loud Haus. Wegman's Dome. I don't really care. It will always be just "The Dome" to us anyway. 20 mil for 20 years. Break ground on that damn IPF!

On top of that you bring in a new corporate partner, not just a name. The idea is to involve said partner in other projects down the road. When has Carrier contributed to anything else? If you can't get a huge donor, cultivate a big time corporate sponsorship. And not bulls**t ribbon board ads and time out announcements. Big $ to fund major capital improvements.

I'm not sure why i am responding to you... Hey, didn't you bid us adieu a week ago after calling me a liar?......But this thread has raised some interesting points, so I will chime in.

You can have the most professional fund-raising campaign in the world ... but it won't be successful if your target audience does not want to give. Ironically, I was at a museum board meeting tonight where the primary subject was the feasibility of a new capital campaign. There were a lot of people there who know a lot about fund-raising, and they were not optimistic ... even though we have a great product. They cited the proliferation of capital campaigns out there (everyone seems to have one) that are all going after the same people. They also noted the economy and the uncertainties regarding tax rates and other considerations. And they kept emphasizing one salient fact: In any such campaign, 1-2 percent of the donors give 99 percent of the money. Yes, any successful campaign is about the deep-pocket folks.

In SU's case, this leads to three interesting facts: 1) The Melo Center was essentially funded by maybe 20 people. There was a $3 million gift, at least two $2 million gifts, several gifts in the $1 million area, and many in the $500,000-$1oo,ooo range. Two of the three biggest gifts were given by former players. 2) With the exception of McNabb, no former football player has given anything of substance to the FB program. And Doug Marrone did not help that situation by making former players feel they were not welcome. 3) Aside from the former basketball players, the biggest potential givers to a football facility... are the same people who gave to the Melo Center. In other words, they are the 1-2 percent who can give 99 percent of the total needed. But they have just given.

I post this only to point out how difficult this situation is. HCSS's reach-out to former players is a very important step. But it's not the only thing we need. We have to find other new deep-pocket donors. If you know of any such people, send their names to Chris Gedney. We need a Boone Pickens or a Phil Knight. I just don't have any idea who he/she might be.

On a lighter note, I always love to see posts that start with 'I'm not sure why I'm responding to you...'.
Yours is the second I've seen in the past two days.

I know the cliche is that the facilities are not good. It's oft-repeated. However, the dome ain't bad. I am sure there are some players who are still impressed with it and welcome the opportunity to play inside each home game. As a fan, I love the dome. Yeah, I know the indoor practice facility could be better...but I recently read or heard that the Denver Broncos have no indoor practice facility. If true (I am too lazy to look it up), we are one up on the Broncos.

The Dome Is AWESOME!!!

There is nothing like it elsewhere in college sports. Nothing.

I still believe that the Dome accounts for exactly this much of the challenges facing the football program and SUAD: 0.

And fyi, we have alums and previous and potential donors who are worth hundreds of millions. There is $ out there.

For starters how about breaking the ridiculous "lifetime" naming rights contract with Carrier? There's 20 million right there. Absolutely absurd that those rights were sold for 2.65 million for eternity. Carrier has abandoned the city. They are NOT a corporate partner. Just a name. It's like we still have our ex girlfriend's picture next to our bed and we haven't talked to her in 10 years.

Fight that contract. Sell the naming rights. It is mind boggling to me that the powers that be would A) be so shortsighted that they would make the naming rights lifetime (dont think Carrier wouldn't have done it for 20 years? 30?). B) don't have a team of lawyers fighting to void that contract. It's the most valuable asset we have. After 30+ years and considering they are no longer in the area, you would think there was a way out. Mountain Dew Dome, The Hoffman's Loud Haus. Wegman's Dome. I don't really care. It will always be just "The Dome" to us anyway. 20 mil for 20 years. Break ground on that damn IPF!

On top of that you bring in a new corporate partner, not just a name. The idea is to involve said partner in other projects down the road. When has Carrier contributed to anything else? If you can't get a huge donor, cultivate a big time corporate sponsorship. And not bulls**t ribbon board ads and time out announcements. Big $ to fund major capital improvements.

That's not a bad idea at face value, but No. The Carrier Dome is a brand with national name recognition. Not worth messing with it.

Tim Green needs a image facelift...He should be priority #1 in lobbying for $$$...

Suggestion:

Donation 'stations' or locations around the Dome (staffed by students and interns) during game-days to at least attempt to draw in a few grand 25+ times a year (hoops, lax, football)

Along that line, it should become a tradition that at all concessions, any and all change (coins) go into the "bucket" towards a facilities fund. Your hot dog and and drink costs $6.47? Fifty three cents goes into the bucket.

That's not a bad idea at face value, but No. The Carrier Dome is a brand with national name recognition. Not worth messing with it.

Why not? How much revenue does the name The Carrier Dome bring the university anymore? I get that it is what people know us by but it is not like they won't know that the dome has the potential to be a rocking place if they take away the Carrier part and add something else.

I wonder what Syracuse gets for putting Carrier's logo on the basketball court -- that couldn't have been part of the original deal.

When the "ridiculous" lifetime deal was made, it was the first of its kind in the United States of America.

The :24 shot clock.
Freeze option
Stadium naming rights

Each pioneered in the great 315.

On fighting the contract, it has been fought. And Carrier has shown a willingness. But do not think you could get $1m a year/20 years in this climate. Cut that in half.

It is a possibility. But for the amount of money, the re-branding isn't a total benefit despite the economic infusion. There are subtle complications to everything.

On a good note, thanks to AEG deal, there will be more non-University events at the Dome to drive overall revenue to split.

Yes its is. The "Carrier" sponsorship is antequated and again, Carrier contributes nothing else and hasn't for years. We need a true corporate partner. Stadium names change all the time. It's not 1985. Naming rights are huge business. And you want a corporation that is potentially involved with other projects. Carrier brings nothing to the table.

Or we could have an aggressive phone campaign. Or knock on doors. You want to raise money? You maximize what you can get from major donors. And you maximize marketing and business opportunities. Do you realize how fast no one will care about a name change? Look at other stadiums across the country. Does anyone give a crap that Freedom Hall is now the YUM Center (arguably the stupidest arena name ever?)? Nope.

I agreed with your post ideally, but you really got me here. So well done good sir. I am still laughing out loud.

Ha yes, clearly I'm kidding. But big time corporate sponsors would be out there.

The Carrier Dome as presented by Ford Tough
$$$$

When the "ridiculous" lifetime deal was made, it was the first of its kind in the United States of America.

Freeze option
Stadium naming rights

On fighting the contract, it has been fought. And Carrier has shown a willingness. But do not think you could get $1m a year/20 years in this climate. Cut that in half.

It is a possibility. But for the amount of money, the re-branding isn't a total benefit despite the economic infusion. There are subtle complications to everything.

On a good note, thanks to AEG deal, there will be more non-University events at the Dome to drive overall revenue to split.

What are the subtle complications? And the YUM Center, KFC paid 13.5 for ten years. That just happened. That's hoops only. We are talking about a multi-purpose venue. Football and basketball. Huge attendance and exposure September through March. Yes, that contract involved food serving exclusivity too. That can be done here. To arbitrarily say "cut that number in half" makes no sense to me. I may be underestimating. There are opportunities.

And if you are telling me Carrier is willing, I am even more shocked.

Freeze option
Stadium naming rights

If it is true that we are the first to sell corporate naming rights for a stadium that is fascinating. I'd never heard that. But times have changed. Naming rights are huge business. Pro stadiums change names constantly. You would want a long term deal here for continuity.

And regardless, entering into a lifetime sponsorship deal was shortsighted even if the overall concept was revolutionary.

Anyway, let's skip this idea. I'm sure we can rustle up 15-20 million by having some students make phone calls. Maybe we can sell peanut brittle?

What are the subtle complications? And the YUM Center, KFC paid 13.5 for ten years. That just happened. That's hoops only. We are talking about a multi-purpose venue. Football and basketball. Huge attendance and exposure September through March. Yes, that contract involved food serving exclusivity too. That can be done here. To arbitrarily say "cut that number in half" makes no sense to me. I may be underestimating. There are opportunities.

And if you are telling me Carrier is willing, I am even more shocked.

Yum is based in Louisville.

Look at DMA rankings of the cities.

YUM is HQ-ed in Louisville. That's why it made sense.

The Washington Nationals are in DC, city is pretty flush, and that stadium has no corporate sponsorship.

Yes its is. The "Carrier" sponsorship is antequated and again, Carrier contributes nothing else and hasn't for years. We need a true corporate partner. Stadium names change all the time. It's not 1985. Naming rights are huge business. And you want a corporation that is potentially involved with other projects. Carrier brings nothing to the table.

Or we could have an aggressive phone campaign. Or knock on doors. You want to raise money? You maximize what you can get from major donors. And you maximize marketing and business opportunities. Do you realize how fast no one will care about a name change? Look at other stadiums across the country. Does anyone give a crap that Freedom Hall is now the YUM Center (arguably the stupidest arena name ever?)? Nope.

Freedom Hall isn't the Yum Center. Yum is a new building.

Yum is based in Louisville.

Look at DMA rankings of the cities.

Point is, there is money we could get. We are clearly not making the necessary progress. This is an untapped resource. A new big time corporate sponsor could breathe some life into these projects. We don't need Joe six-pack donating $20. We need real $.

There's no comparing Freedom Hall or the YUM Center to the Carrier Dome on any level.

So why don't we take it a step further and put our mascot up for sale, too? To heck with a building; for a price, your corporation can have an entire major collegiate athletic department named after its product, e.g., The Syracuse University BK Whoppers®. Or perhaps we should sell the front of our jerseys to sponsors a la European club soccer. Both these options would be far more valuable than just the name on a building.

Edit: I do love the Hoffman Loud Haus thing though. That's awesome.

Freedom Hall isn't the Yum Center. Yum is a new building.

Good point. Listen, there is money there via naming rights. I'm not sure how much. But I know that the Carrier name means nothing. We need loot. There is a great way to get it. Why not? What is the big objection? Who the hell cares what the sponsor name is? If it was the Jimmy B Dome or something, no, you never change it. It's named after a corporation that means nothing to this city or University.

That's all I got.

Point is, there is money we could get. We are clearly not making the necessary progress. This is an untapped resource. A new big time corporate sponsor could breathe some life into these projects. We don't need Joe six-pack donating $20. We need real $.

No it's not. YUM is a big big deal that is based in Louisville. Ditto Papa John's. Who is the CNY comparative?

Good point. Listen, there is money there via naming rights. I'm not sure how much. But I know that the Carrier name means nothing. We need loot. There is a great way to get it. Why not? What is the big objection? Who the hell cares what the sponsor name is? If it was the Jimmy B Dome or something, no, you never change it. It's named after a corporation that means nothing to this city or University.

That's all I got.

Who is the local company that has the money and interest to do it? I mean it's not gonna be some random firm based somewhere else.