Definition of Insanity (we still have a facilities problem) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Definition of Insanity (we still have a facilities problem)

There's no comparing Freedom Hall or the YUM Center to the Carrier Dome on any level.

So why don't we take it a step further and put our mascot up for sale, too? To heck with a building; for a price, your corporation can have an entire major collegiate athletic department named after its product, e.g., The Syracuse University BK Whoppers®. Or perhaps we should sell the front of our jerseys to sponsors a la European club soccer. Both these options would be far more valuable than just the name on a building.

Edit: I do love the Hoffman Loud Haus thing though. That's awesome.

It's a business. You balance tradition with $. The Carrier name isn't traditional to me at all. It's a corporate add on. I'd rather have a fresh, dynamic corporation. I don't see "Carrier Dome" as a national brand. Syracuse Football/Basketball is the brand. Who cares who sponsors the building? It's not named after a coach or a legend. It's just a corporate sponsor that has been attached for far to long.

Point is, there is money we could get. We are clearly not making the necessary progress. This is an untapped resource. A new big time corporate sponsor could breathe some life into these projects. We don't need Joe six-pack donating $20. We need real $.

Go find said corporate sponsor in a region that has lost more of them since the Dome was built than has gained.

Find someone where the investment is from a local company with a national consumer brand.

Good luck.

Who is the local company that has the money and interest to do it? I mean it's not gonna be some random firm based somewhere else.

That's the job of our crack marketing/sponsorship department. Get a national sponsor.

We are now fixated on Louisville and the YUM Center. That was just the first that came to mind.

I thought we are already about to have a big corporate sponsor - ESPN

Go find said corporate sponsor in a region that has lost more of them since the Dome was built than has gained.

Find someone where the investment is from a local company with a national consumer brand.

Good luck.

Well if the national marketing of Coneys hot dogs takes off ... Aren't JB and the Iroquois Nation investors?
The Coney

That's the job of our crack marketing/sponsorship department. Get a national sponsor.

We are now fixated on Louisville and the YUM Center. That was just the first that came to mind.

Yes, and YUM is exactly what Syracuse doesn't have.

Good luck.

Instead of saying why it can't be done, maybe we should try to do it. I'm optimistic that major corporations would find value in our naming rights. I'm not saying it's a lock. But it absolutely should be aggressively explored. To say, "we can't do it" is not gonna get our facilities improved.

If not via major corporate sponsors or major donors, how the hell are we gonna get it done? Wait on ACC money while we continue to lag behind?

I believe you need promise of "seed" money before you approve a capital project and give the go ahead to start a giving campaign.

You can put 100's of little jars around the Dome. You ain't getting there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Don't see why anyone would have a connection to the name Carrier. Everyone calls it the dome. They paid very little for naming rights. They didn't add air conditioning. If we can get out of the contract, we should. You'd think someone would have put "as long as they are still in the area" stipulation into the contract. Very easy transition to a new name in this day and age.

I believe you need promise of "seed" money before you approve a capital project and give the go ahead to start a giving campaign.

You can put 100's of little jars around the Dome. You ain't getting there.

OK ok ok.

What about a bake sale? Bottle drive?

Don't see why anyone would have a connection to the name Carrier. Everyone calls it the dome. They paid very little for naming rights. They didn't add air conditioning. If we can get out of the contract, we should. You'd think someone would have put "as long as they are still in the area" stipulation into the contract. Very easy transition to a new name in this day and age.
It's besides the point, really, but Carrier still has their R&D operations centered here. It's the manufacturing that left.

It's besides the point, really, but Carrier still has their R&D operations centered here. It's the manufacturing that left.

If we are "New York's College Team" how about a corporation headquartered closer to NYC?

To me, we sold our soul to corporate sponsorship in 1980. We just didn't sell it for enough. I have no issue with bringing in a new naming rights sponsor for the Dome. It should be explored.

Just for argument's sake - let's say the ACC/ESPN monies were $100M annually - would the school still need to attach some protocol of fundraising X percent of a major capital project in the athletic department? And if the answer is no - then what is the annual contract value before traditional fundraising standards are set aside?

The definition of insanity is that the Dome is not called the Hoffman's Loud Haus.

Also, you guys are missing the point on the corporate sponsor thing. If we get 100k out of a corp for a year, guess what? That's 100k more than we're getting from Carrier right now.

Interesting list of corporate sponsors for college stadiums/arenas...

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/21/naming-rights-on-college-stadiums-and-arenas/

Fresno St. got 40 mil for their basketball stadium from a grocery store chain called Save-Mart. Save-Mart had 4.8 billion in profits. Wegman's had 6.25 billion in profits in 2012. Just sayin'...
Wegmans had sales of $6.25 billion in 2012. Not profits. Huge difference. It is privately owned.. and does not have to report profits

Wegmans had sales of $6.25 billion in 2012. Not profits. Huge difference.

Fixed, thanks CTO, I thought that was insane when I typed it. Correct. Revenue. 4.8 billion in revenue for Save-Mart, 6.25 for Wegmans. Point being, Wegmans could sponsor the Dome. I'm sure we could come up with creative ways to integrate their products as well perhaps via concessions.

How far behind are we? Would an IPF and a new training room be enough?

I'm not sure why i am responding to you... Hey, didn't you bid us adieu a week ago after calling me a liar?......But this thread has raised some interesting points, so I will chime in.

Interesting that you would think and say that - anyway the truth is really a matter of perspective given the various inputs we receive and how we interpret them - so unfortunately different inputs lead to different conclusions. While its unnecessary to rehash things, the previous head coach had his perspective, the AD his, the chancellor hers, the BoT theirs, etc. With the new head coach in place, discussions about the old head coach reasons for leaving are irrelevant at this point in time.

Moving forward, one fact remains that is a detriment to recruiting and that is facilities. That is tangible evidence that can be seen and compared against other Universities by recruits. This isn't the BE anymore, the ACC could be 1 of the 4 or 5 super conferences that SU has chosen to be included in. Sure our facilities probably compare well to MAC or Conference USA schools, but we are not in the MAC or C-USA or BE anymore.

My hope is that this problem gets addressed on the highest levels - I don't know how to do that as it is not my job. I do know other Universities find ways to resolve problems like this. Strategically speaking, the timing is perfect - a new conference coupled with a new head coach in this paradigm change of conference realignment that is clearly centered on football. The IPF doesn't need to be started today, but the formalized fundraising could be put into a plan of action of some kind and supported on the highest levels similar to Duke's Forward fundraising plan and goals - if Duke's BoT can outright and publicly support athletic facilities fundraising, why can't SU's BoT do the same? This is a fair question to ask.

By the way, I bid adieu because of my job change and limited time available to even read the forum so I won't be posting on a regular basis anymore.

DestiNY Dome - kinda ties into the States Team campaign too. Maybe amp up the alleged shuttles from the mall that someone posted about last week - do trains run from their to campus?

Only problem is I'd be worried about the SU marketing department's crack team of negotiators sitting across the table from Congel.