Depth Chart Speculation | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart Speculation

I Know you harp on this a lot, and there is some truth there but if you look at the receivers downfield when the pocket breaks, the majority of the time they completely quit on the play. Its unreal. Reminds me of the basketball team trying to inbounds the ball against WVU late in the game... just 0 effort to get open

I'll take your word for it, it's one of the things I can't tell on TV.

But it needs to be a team effort. RBs or OL picking up one more block, WRs working to get open, QB doing everything he can to extend the play.

I speculate that spring practice will end and we won't have a publicly released depth chart.

Will we get an updated roster on cuse.com with numbers?

I have a feeling everyone will have a new number that's not revealed until we take the field on Sep 4.

Ok? I was looking for more specifics on what you’d have done after the 2019 season. Your opinion.

I don’t have an axe to grind with you. I’m honestly curious.

I offered my take in the one you responded to. Happy to recap with some added stuff:

- 2019 was a tough year to judge, but obviously TD was under duress. Some of that was bad OL play with a new OL coach and some of that is TD holding the ball, not reading quick enough, etc.

- What can you do? Fire the OL coach after one year? Bench the best thrower of the football on the team? Recruit a bunch of JUCO OL? None of these are good solutions, IMO - that’s why I asked what you’d have done.

- The base point for me is - I don’t think, after watching TD and the OL in practice and then in 2019, the staff thought “we’re good, let’s just keep doing what we’re doing and hope it works out in 2020”... I’m confident they tried to address some of the issues or would have if 2020 spring hadn’t blown up due to COVID.
Sorry, thanks but not interested.

Agreed.

My official take is that I think they are doing everything they can do to get him better in those situations we've all seen on game tape. The nice thing this year is that we have more competition behind him to push him.

I also think we've done him or our other QB's no favors with our OL play since Eric left. (He helped mitigate the existing OL issues with his legs, but I think the OL play got worse under Cav)
I think we also likely have an upgrade at QB coach. We lost that when Lewis left and Gilbert didn't have an off season with the QBs last year.

even if the WR isn't open?
Maybe not then, but there were a bunch of times, I'm speaking more about 2019, that someone was open and the ball was held.

I'll take your word for it, it's one of the things I can't tell on TV.

But it needs to be a team effort. RBs or OL picking up one more block, WRs working to get open, QB doing everything he can to extend the play.
Yea, weirdly the WR group is the single group I think has gotten worse for 5 straight years under Dino.

Even the OL had a couple years of improvement before the 2019/2020 implosion

Will we get an updated roster on cuse.com with numbers?

I have a feeling everyone will have a new number that's not revealed until we take the field on Sep 4.
They are getting rid of numbers and going with their Venmo accounts. Also Twitter is the new stadium sponsor.

Yea, weirdly the WR group is the single group I think has gotten worse for 5 straight years under Dino.

Even the OL had a couple years of improvement before the 2019/2020 implosion
It’s weird. After Tommy committed I thought that would open us up to maybe getting a 4* WR or two but we seem to miss on top choices

I think we'll see a resurgence with the new WR coach.
I think we’ll see an uptick at receiver, OL, and QB and a small downtick at ST due to coaching changes. Defense will also be better due to 2nd year.

I hear all the excuses for Cav and I get it, but we never had even a mediocre line with him here. The talentisn’t That bad, it was coaching. There were many Mac and FCS teams that had better OL play than us and arguably none of their players had a schoolyard offer from a P5.

I’m excited to see how much they improve.

Florange44

Captain Morgan will be number one QB by EOY I bet

I think we’ll see an uptick at receiver, OL, and QB and a small downtick at ST due to coaching changes. Defense will also be better due to 2nd year.

I hear all the excuses for Cav and I get it, but we never had even a mediocre line with him here. The talentisn’t That bad, it was coaching. There were many Mac and FCS teams that had better OL play than us and arguably none of their players had a schoolyard offer from a P5.

I’m excited to see how much they improve.

Florange44
Losing lustig hurts but in the long run I think it will be an overall positive. We brought in samuels who I’m hoping will create an immediate improvement at wr. We brought in a real good special teams coach as a consultant. Even though he cannot personally work with the players he can break down film, work on schemes and provide insight to the other coaches. Personally I’d like another consultant to help Schmidt with the OL. Someone that has worked with him in the past who could focus on certain tasks to assist Schmidt and give him more time to develop the players.

I agree. I’m not sold on TD but if he wins the job and excels great. I just want a qb that can move the ball, score and most important win games.
Haven't gotten all the way through this thread but since we are talking "wants"...I want a QB who doesn't have to run but can. I prefer my QB to run on called runs for him instead of having to scramble. The 'having to scramble' part may dictate which QB starts. I hope not. Seeing familiar names on the OL 2nd string is a good start imo. A healthy TD with a decent OLine in front of him seems our best option. But Shrader was pretty highly regarded so I wouldn't count him out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom