Depth Chart Speculation | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart Speculation

It’s true with basically no information it’s hard to make any assessments of any players. We base our thoughts and opinions on past observations.
I will say this about any potential starter. I am not a parent of a player on this board, I am a fan. I do not care in the end who wins the starting job at any position. The only thing that matters to me as a fan is that who ever plays allows the team to be successful, excel and most importantly WIN.

Anytime "we" think we're seeing something that the staff hasn't I think we're prob missing something
I am sure they saw it with Devito, the question was did they change their approach. Either way I hope it clicks for Devito this year.

This season all comes down to whether we have a real QB and OL. If not none of the rest matters.
We do on both fronts. More importantly we have an excellent OL coach. On paper our best since HCDM left. I expect our OL to be one of our best position groups this year. I also expect Tommy Shrader and the other QBs to push each other. We have 5 talented kids in that room

It’s true with basically no information it’s hard to make any assessments of any players. We base our thoughts and opinions on past observations.
I will say this about any potential starter. I am not a parent of a player on this board, I am a fan. I do not care in the end who wins the starting job at any position. The only thing that matters to me as a fan is that who ever plays allows the team to be successful, excel and most importantly WIN.
Agreed.

My official take is that I think they are doing everything they can do to get him better in those situations we've all seen on game tape. The nice thing this year is that we have more competition behind him to push him.

I also think we've done him or our other QB's no favors with our OL play since Eric left. (He helped mitigate the existing OL issues with his legs, but I think the OL play got worse under Cav)

I am sure they saw it with Devito, the question was did they change their approach. Either way I hope it clicks for Devito this year.

Things seem to click just fine for him when theres protection. the jailbreak OL doesn't help a guy who'd rather stay in the pocket.

I'll be shocked if Willie Tyler is a 1 on the depth start to start the season or possibly even the full season.
Totally uncertain because we don’t know what we are getting. He could come in and play like an All American or he could end up being a dud. He is definitely worth the risk because he can push the others projected to start before him. Hopefully he impresses all of is big time.

I think the answer is right there... would you have changed your approach had you seen what you'd seen?

And we know the staff wasn't happy with the OL play.

Things seem to click just fine for him when theres protection. the jailbreak OL doesn't help a guy who'd rather stay in the pocket.
There will always be pressure at some point. Should be less this year though, but to make the leap Devito needs to improve under pressure.

I think there's enough blame to go around. The OL definitely has to be better, but he also has to make some plays under pressure. With the increased blitzes that defenses are throwing at people, even good OL's will give up some pressures. I've watched a lot of College Football and I'm seeing QB's everywhere making plays under pressure. That doesn't mean he has to do it every time, but at least some of the time. He has made progress with his running when pressured, now he has to be able to make some throws in those situations. OL has to do their part, too. I'm rooting for him.

I think the answer is right there... would you have changed your approach had you seen what you'd seen?

I would have changed my approach after 2019.

Yet they were going to bring Cav back again.

Cav might have had a different season having about 15 eligible OL vs. 4.

I'm happy with the MLB hall of famer we have coaching them now, but Marrone or Deleone would have had trouble getting production out of our 2020 OL based on what was available.
If it was just last year, I'd agree, but the body of work wasn't good.

Not to belabor a point...but regardless of the pressure, when the pressure ISNT coming he works from a very limited passing tree. Is he incapable of making those throws? Is it a problem of the coaching? Are the receivers incapable of running those patterns? Regardless of the reason, Devito as QB almost exclusively throws passes to the flat or the deep sideline and that's makes our offense ridiculously predictable.

We have ZERO intermediate passing game.

I think there's enough blame to go around. The OL definitely has to be better, but he also has to make some plays under pressure. With the increased blitzes that defenses are throwing at people, even good OL's will give up some pressures. I've watched a lot of College Football and I'm seeing QB's everywhere making plays under pressure. That doesn't mean he has to do it every time, but at least some of the time. He has made progress with his running when pressured, now he has to be able to make some throws in those situations. OL has to do their part, too. I'm rooting for him.

handling pressure is one thing and things clicking is another so people are sort of combining two different issues here. I believe everything clicks just fine for him but it’s not seven on seven.

clicking, to me is understanding the offense, the defensive reads and knowing where the ball should go, among some other things.

Well, he's only got 2 passes, it seems, and he locks in on his first read for too long.

I disagree. He misses quick game throws as well. He’s missed reads and throws when he’s had time to throw them. He’s missed reads on the run game. He pulls the ball (on zone read) at the wrong times. The line sucks but his decision making inside and especially outside the pocket needs to improve. That’s why they brought in Shrader.

Last edited:
I disagree. He misses quick game throws as well. He’s missed reads and throws when he’s had time to throw them. He’s missed reads on the run game. He pulls the ball (on zone read) at the wrong times. The line sucks but he’s decision making inside and especially outside the pocket needs to improve. That’s why they brought in Shrader.

Agreed. There's definitely a correlation between DeVito's performance and the poor performance of the injury-decimated OL these past two years, but he hasn't shown improved game awareness that you'd expect from an experienced vet. And his overall "feel" for what's happening on the field seems lacking.

I think that's why many fans have come to the conclusion that he's got great arm talent, but performs better in drills vs. live pass rush. When he doesn't have to worry about the opposition bringing the heat, his tremendous mechanics enable him to make great throws. When the pass rush gets live, he looks more like a deer in the headlights.

Agreed. There's definitely a correlation between DeVito's performance and the poor performance of the injury-decimated OL these past two years, but he hasn't shown improved game awareness that you'd expect from an experienced vet. And his overall "feel" for what's happening on the field seems lacking.

I think that's why many fans have come to the conclusion that he's got great arm talent, but performs better in drills vs. live pass rush. When he doesn't have to worry about the opposition bringing the heat, his tremendous mechanics enable him to make great throws. When the pass rush gets live, he looks more like a deer in the headlights.
Yup I agree. Im not giving up on him. He has the arm and accuracy needed to excel in this system. He just has to improve in those other areas you mentioned.

handling pressure is one thing and things clicking is another so people are sort of combining two different issues here. I believe everything clicks just fine for him but it’s not seven on seven.

clicking, to me is understanding the offense, the defensive reads and knowing where the ball should go, among some other things.
It's also adjusting to the speed of the D-1 game and making good, quick decisions. Don't forget, the OL has looked better the last 2 years when Welch and Culpepper have been in the game.

You'd think that getting knocked on your ass 100 times would teach you to get rid of the ball quicker. LOL

I would have changed my approach after 2019.
1. Maybe they did? 2020 was so messed up I’m not sure how to evaluate well. Injuries + COVID + Cav + existing TD issues = not sure where the blame lies

2. They recruited a capable backup transfer (tried, guy went to South Fl)?

I disagree. He misses quick game throws as well. He’s missed reads and throws when he’s had time to throw them. He’s missed reads on the run game. He pulls the ball (on zone read) at the wrong times. The line sucks but he’s decision making inside and especially outside the pocket needs to improve. That’s why they brought in Shrader.

It was one of many reasons why they brought in Shrader. Tommy hasn't proven he can last a season and throwing freshman to the wolves was ridiculous. If you think it was just for the reasons you mention you're wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom