Depth Chart Thoughts Part II | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart Thoughts Part II

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This one is on the defense and special teams...

DEFENSE
DE 41 Donnie Simmons (6-2, 226, So.) 13 Deon Goggins (6-1, 272, R-Sr.) 93 Micah Robinson (6-4, 252, Jr.)
95 Josh Manley (6-2, 270, Fr.)
NT 52 Eric Crume (6-0, 332, So.) 99 Zian Jones (6-4, 336, Jr.) 70 Marcus Coleman (6-0, 273, Fr.)
DT 96 Jay Bromley (6-3, 280, Jr.) 63 Ryan Sloan (6-4, 324, So.) 92 Davon Walls (6-5, 315, Jr.)
53 Lucas Albrecht (6-2, 255, So.)
DE 91 Brandon Sharpe (6-2, 245, Sr.) 94 Robert Welsh (6-2, 260, Jr.) 10 Markus Pierce-Brewster (6-3, 230, Jr.)
97 John Raymon (6-5, 313, Fr.)
SLB 33 Dan Vaughan (6-2, 219, Sr.) 11 Marquis Spruill (6-1, 216, So.) 7 Oliver Vigille (6-3, 212, So.)
90 James Washington (6-1, 215, Fr.)
MLB 18 Siriki Diabate (5-10, 210, Sr.) 41 Lewellyn Coker (6-1, 228, Jr.) 50 Femi Allyu (5-11, 215, Jr.)
WLB 35 Dyshawn Davis (6-3, 213, So.) 38 Cameron Lynch (5-11, 223, So.) 39 Dom Anene (6-1, 224, Sr.)
40 Zach McCarrell (5-11, 188, Jr.)
H CB 4 Brandon Reddish (5-10, 179, So.) 24 Jaston George (5-10, 159, So.) 2 Wayne Morgan (5-10, 190, Fr.)
43 Franklin Santos (5-10, 175, So.)
SS 21 Shamarko Thomas (5-10, 208, Sr.) 6 Ritchy Desir (5-11, 168, So.) 29 Devante McFarlane (6-1, 190, Fr.)
37 Chris Williamson (6-0, 193, Jr.)
FS 28 Jeremi Wilkes (5-9, 189, Jr.) 3 Durell Eskridge (6-2, 196, So.) 12 Dontez Ford (6-2, 193, Fr.)
16 James Jarrett (6-2, 202, Sr.)
CB 9 Ri’Shard Anderson (6-1, 189, Sr.) 8 Keon Lyn (6-1, 190, Jr.) 23 Julian Whigham (6-1, 182, Fr.)
19 Joe Nassib (5-9, 170, Jr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
FG/PAT 37 Ross Krautman (5-7, 155, Jr.) 19 Ryan Lichtenstein (5-11, 161, Sr.) 49 Ryan Norton (5-11, 180, Fr.)
P 46 Jonathan Fisher (6-1, 209, So.) 92 Riley Dixon (6-5, 202, So.)

KOR 25 Jeremiah Kobena (6-0, 180, So.) 4 Brandon Reddish (5-10, 179, So.)
PR 30 Steven Rene (5-7, 176, Jr.) 6 Ritchy Desir (5-11, 168, So.) 4 Brandon Reddish (5-10, 179, So.)
LS 47 Sam Rodgers (6-1, 215, So.) 61 Eric Morris (5-9, 227, Sr.)
SS 61 Eric Morris (5-9, 227, Sr.) 47 Sam Rodgers (6-1, 215, So.)
Holder 17 Charley Loeb (6-4, 212, Jr.) 46 Jonathan Fisher (6-1, 209, So.)

At DE, I expect Goggins will win one starting position, with Sharpe winning the other. I think the second team, who will also play a lot, will be Robinson and either Simmons or Pierce-Brewster. Hope Simmons weighs more than 226. He has to add at least 15 pounds of muscle to his frame each season if he is to be a factor at DE for this program. I think Goggins is better suited for DE and will have a fine season. Might even make 2nd or 3rd team all conference. Hoping Simmons or Pierce-Brewster emerges as a legitimate pass rushing force. We haven't had a good pass rusher at DE in a long time...even Chandler was not particularly good in this area. Even though we have lost both starters from last season, I am quite happy with this group. There is a nice blend of experience and talent and I think they will be fine..

Inside, we lose Boatman for reasons that are unclear to me, but even so, Crume is a promising prospect, and Zian Jones should at least be a capable space eater as his backup. We are bigger than we have been at NT in years. That alone should make up better against the run inside than we have been in years.

At DT, I expect Bromley to step up and contend for all conference honors. He has NFL ability, he has NFL size and now he has experience as well. Big drop off from him. Hope Sloan has lost that extra weight that slowed him down so much last fall. Maybe Walls can surprise early.

We had major troubles at linebacker last season, so bad that the linebacker coach is no longer with the team. Spruill did not make a great adjustment moving to the inside. Davis showed exceptional quickness and ability to close but made a lot of mental mistakes and was often overpowered physically last season. Vaughn doesn't do anything really well but he knows the defense and the reads better than anyone else on the team. He finished second on the team in tackles last year. Lynch looks like he can be a force blitzing, showed fine athletic ability but was overmatched at times his true frosh year. Diabate (Diet Tab) played surprisingly well at the MIKE in the spring and might have already won a starting position. Coker could be the fastest and strongest player in this unit, and is surely the biggest hitter of the bunch. If you like long shots, Virgille redshirted last year as a true frosh, but reportedly was very impressive on the scout team and even he could conceivably break into the rotation this year.

What does it all mean? I really don't know what the staff is doing here. It appears the staff is intentionally instilling chaos and instability in this unit. They were clearly extremely unhappy with the performance of the group last year and I think the new coach and the new approach is an attempt to send a message that things must change here. Without seeing them practice. I don't have a clue as to what is going to happen but I think when push comes to shove, Shafer is going to want experience here...his units do best when he has people who know what to do out there. That makes Coker a real longshot to get PT. The same applies to Virgille. You have 5 linebackers and 3 starting positions up for grabs. Good chance one of the non starters ends up playing the Okie position, which is almost a starting position.. Would not be surprised at all to see Lynch there...he would be well suited to playing there.

At CB, everyone had Anderson and Lyn locked in as starters but in this crazy year, the staff has Brandon Reddish penciled in as a starter, and Anderson and Lyn are both playing the same position. I am going to assume Reddish is playing the wide CB position,. where he will be on an island without help a lot, and Anderson and Lyn are going to play on the close side. Very curious. Reddish has exceptional speed and great hips but he was lost when he got on the field last season. Looked improved in the spring but wow, surprised to see him almost given a starting job right now. Will they eventually switch Lyn or Anderson to compete with Reddish? One would think so, but this year, especially on defense, who can tell? Interesting to see Morgan, a guy the staff thought was going to be a safety last year, is working out at CB initially. He, like Reddish, is an exceptional athlete.

At strong safety, we finally have what appears to be a rock solid starter in Sharmarko Thomas. When Shu heard the siren call of the rappers and left the team, it paved the way for Devante McFarland to start his SU career at SS, where he is the logical successor to Shamarko; Desir is really undersized to be a SS, don't think he will stay there long term (probably will end up at FS, maybe CB instead).

At free safety, there is another great battle unfolding between experienced and undersized Wilkes and Eskridge, who is perhaps the best athlete on the team. It would be a bold move to start the youngster over Wilkes. I think it happens. Dontez Ford is a force to be reckoned with. Not sure where it will be but I think he makes a big impact at SU during his time on the Hill.

This defensive unit has, if Shafer opts to use it, some real speed and some real hard hitters. I think if the DL can put any pressure on the QB at all, we will see this unit produce a lot of turnovers. Might allow some long plays too but it should be a unit that is very aggressive and is fun to watch.

Will talk special teams tomorrow..

Outstanding stuff, per usual, Tom! LOTS of questions heading into the season, but like you I have a feeling that the raw materials are pretty darn good on the defensive side of the ball, and that we'll see a big jump in the performance of the defense this year.

I know today is just the first day of camp, but I confess that I get excited reading this stuff!

Can't wait for the first game!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Tom,

Thanks for the previews. This is the type of stuff that makes me love this board. I always prefer the thoughts of people who are good writers and know the team, rather than a hired gun. Your analysis is ten times better than anything that the previous sites "professional" writers provided. Can't say thanks enough.

Good work, as usual.
In the DL, Shafer likes to rotate 7 or so guys and move DEs to DT in passing situations. I expect Goggins will be one of those guys playing both spots, allowing speed rushers to play DE on 3rd downs. Will be interesting to see the really big guys (Sloan, the two jucos, and Raymond) get into the mix. At a minimum, the team will look a lot more legit getting off the bus.

At LBs, the moves make sense. Spruill was more effective as the SAM -- he gets moved back and gets his chance to move ahead of Vaughan. Diabate played M-LB at Nassau CC and in the Spring -- so there is Morrison's signature move. Lynch should be a better run-stopper than Davis. You get your best three on the field to start, but the spares (Vaughan and Davis) play a lot. And there is cross-training.

Tom,

Thanks for the previews. This is the type of stuff that makes me love this board. I always prefer the thoughts of people who are good writers and know the team, rather than a hired gun. Your analysis is ten times better than anything that the previous sites "professional" writers provided. Can't say thanks enough.

Just a clarification. Except for one student for a brief period, we never had any professional writers writing about the team.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just a clarification. Except for one student for a brief period, we never had any professional writers writing about the team.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not true. I am a professional writer and most people hate most of the things I post. That makes me as close to a beat writer as a site can get without paying for one.

Loved reading both depth chart posts. Great primer for fall camp.

Thanks Tom. As usual, your insights are appreciated. However, I was a bit surprised that there was no mention of Brandon Sharpe at DE. I believe he started for some games last year for Chandler and played quite a bit off the bench. I think he is a good pass rusher but probably led the team in late hits also... but he has talent.

Hmmm the more I look at this the more I think we could be going to a 3-4 D. I think our biggest weakness is traditional 4-3 DEs so why not eliminate them entirely? Otherwise that depth chart is just a mess and we have no clue who will end up where in two weeks when game prep begins.

DE- Goggins, Robinson, Welsh
NT- Crume, Jones, Sloan
DE- Bromley, Raymon
OLB- MPB, Sharpe, Simmons
ILB-Spruill, Vauhan
ILB- Diabate, Coker
OLB- Davis, Lynch

Bees,

A clarification on my part; I was referring to all the writers on the two previous websites, not just the Syracuse ones. My apologies, as I should have made that more clear.

Hoping Simmons or Pierce-Brewster emerges as a legitimate pass rushing force. We haven't had a good pass rusher at DE in a long time...even Chandler was not particularly good in this area. Even though we have lost both starters from last season, I am quite happy with this group. There is a nice blend of experience and talent and I think they will be fine..

A couple observations on your observations: I'll start with a response to this. Yes and yes. I think a legit pass rush would make a Shafer defense sooooo much fun to watch. Still waiting on that but hopefully it happens with one of the two above. I also agree on Jones and remain shocked that he ended up a first-rounder. I'm happy for him but never thought he was as productive as he looked like he would be ... if that makes sense.

We had major troubles at linebacker last season, so bad that the linebacker coach is no longer with the team. Spruill did not make a great adjustment moving to the inside. Davis showed exceptional quickness and ability to close but made a lot of mental mistakes and was often overpowered physically last season. Vaughn doesn't do anything really well but he knows the defense and the reads better than anyone else on the team. He finished second on the team in tackles last year. Lynch looks like he can be a force blitzing, showed fine athletic ability but was overmatched at times his true frosh year. Diabate (Diet Tab) played surprisingly well at the MIKE in the spring and might have already won a starting position. Coker could be the fastest and strongest player in this unit, and is surely the biggest hitter of the bunch. If you like long shots, Virgille redshirted last year as a true frosh, but reportedly was very impressive on the scout team and even he could conceivably break into the rotation this year.

I actually thought the LBs showed a lot relative to what the expectations were. To me Vaughan is the type of player who is what he is. That's neither a compliment nor a criticism. I maintain that he is a solid special teamer and quality depth on a legit defense. Thought Davis looked like a talented, undersized, inexperienced LB. I really think he could be excellent at some point. Hopefully that's this year. Lynch I actually wasn't as impressed with and felt like maybe he was a bit of a tweener. Like Spruill back outside and I'm not fired up about a 210-lb MLB, but I do generally feel that LBs need to be athletic, smart, instinctive and aggressive. Size and pure athleticism help but they are not as big a part of the mix as many think, IMO.

At CB, everyone had Anderson and Lyn locked in as starters but in this crazy year, the staff has Brandon Reddish penciled in as a starter, and Anderson and Lyn are both playing the same position.

There is no way this holds true, IMO. A healthy Lyn is, IMO, one of our top 5 players. Maybe top two or three depending on how things play out. I can't believe this is anything more than a motivational ploy.

At free safety, there is another great battle unfolding between experienced and undersized Wilkes and Eskridge, who is perhaps the best athlete on the team. It would be a bold move to start the youngster over Wilkes. I think it happens.

I think Eskridge wins this going away. I like Wilkes but unless he makes a really solid leap forward I see him much the way I see Vaughan -- nice kid to have, borderline starter, but probably better as depth/STs contributor.

The height and weights referenced for returning players are the same as last year's roster. Any idea why no updates? Is it part of the stealth camp we've been warned about?

The height and weights referenced for returning players are the same as last year's roster. Any idea why no updates? Is it part of the stealth camp we've been warned about?
All the RBs went Dumas and sport guts, LBs look like Don Knotts and the DBs are slowed due to Chucks' $4 Pitchers

Does that help? :p

Hmmm the more I look at this the more I think we could be going to a 3-4 D. I think our biggest weakness is traditional 4-3 DEs so why not eliminate them entirely? Otherwise that depth chart is just a mess and we have no clue who will end up where in two weeks when game prep begins.

DE- Goggins, Robinson, Welsh

NT- Crume, Jones, Sloan
DE- Bromley, Raymon
OLB- MPB, Sharpe, Simmons
ILB-Spruill, Vauhan
ILB- Diabate, Coker
OLB- Davis, Lynch

I would love to see that but DCSS is an aggressive 4-3 guru. He's probably just going to rotate the bejesus out of the front seven to keep them all fresh.

All the RBs went Dumas and sport guts, LBs look like Don Knotts and the DBs are slowed due to Chucks' $4 Pitchers

Does that help? :p
Makes perfect sense.

Thanks Tom. As usual, your insights are appreciated. However, I was a bit surprised that there was no mention of Brandon Sharpe at DE. I believe he started for some games last year for Chandler and played quite a bit off the bench. I think he is a good pass rusher but probably led the team in late hits also... but he has talent.
Thanks for the kind words. I did have Sharpe penciled in as one of the starters in my take. He has played a lot his first 3 years here, and will play a lot again this season. Probably made the most noise when he was a true frosh, got some playing time and had some sacks and QB hurries in limited snaps. Got leveled playing special teams and some think he has not been the same player since.

It is his senior season. He should be primed for a good year and I think he has a great chance to have the most sacks of any of the DL on the team (a linebacker, maybe a couple of linebackers will lead the team in sacks).

this defense could end up being the best in the big east

I agree. To me the only thing missing a proven pass rusher. Hope somebody steps up!

This one is on the defense and special teams...

DEFENSE
DE 41 Donnie Simmons (6-2, 226, So.) 13 Deon Goggins (6-1, 272, R-Sr.) 93 Micah Robinson (6-4, 252, Jr.)
95 Josh Manley (6-2, 270, Fr.)
NT 52 Eric Crume (6-0, 332, So.) 99 Zian Jones (6-4, 336, Jr.) 70 Marcus Coleman (6-0, 273, Fr.)
DT 96 Jay Bromley (6-3, 280, Jr.) 63 Ryan Sloan (6-4, 324, So.) 92 Davon Walls (6-5, 315, Jr.)
53 Lucas Albrecht (6-2, 255, So.)
DE 91 Brandon Sharpe (6-2, 245, Sr.) 94 Robert Welsh (6-2, 260, Jr.) 10 Markus Pierce-Brewster (6-3, 230, Jr.)
97 John Raymon (6-5, 313, Fr.)
SLB 33 Dan Vaughan (6-2, 219, Sr.) 11 Marquis Spruill (6-1, 216, So.) 7 Oliver Vigille (6-3, 212, So.)
90 James Washington (6-1, 215, Fr.)
MLB 18 Siriki Diabate (5-10, 210, Sr.) 41 Lewellyn Coker (6-1, 228, Jr.) 50 Femi Allyu (5-11, 215, Jr.)
WLB 35 Dyshawn Davis (6-3, 213, So.) 38 Cameron Lynch (5-11, 223, So.) 39 Dom Anene (6-1, 224, Sr.)
40 Zach McCarrell (5-11, 188, Jr.)
H CB 4 Brandon Reddish (5-10, 179, So.) 24 Jaston George (5-10, 159, So.) 2 Wayne Morgan (5-10, 190, Fr.)
43 Franklin Santos (5-10, 175, So.)
SS 21 Shamarko Thomas (5-10, 208, Sr.) 6 Ritchy Desir (5-11, 168, So.) 29 Devante McFarlane (6-1, 190, Fr.)
37 Chris Williamson (6-0, 193, Jr.)
FS 28 Jeremi Wilkes (5-9, 189, Jr.) 3 Durell Eskridge (6-2, 196, So.) 12 Dontez Ford (6-2, 193, Fr.)
16 James Jarrett (6-2, 202, Sr.)
CB 9 Ri’Shard Anderson (6-1, 189, Sr.) 8 Keon Lyn (6-1, 190, Jr.) 23 Julian Whigham (6-1, 182, Fr.)
19 Joe Nassib (5-9, 170, Jr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
FG/PAT 37 Ross Krautman (5-7, 155, Jr.) 19 Ryan Lichtenstein (5-11, 161, Sr.) 49 Ryan Norton (5-11, 180, Fr.)
P 46 Jonathan Fisher (6-1, 209, So.) 92 Riley Dixon (6-5, 202, So.)

KOR 25 Jeremiah Kobena (6-0, 180, So.) 4 Brandon Reddish (5-10, 179, So.)
PR 30 Steven Rene (5-7, 176, Jr.) 6 Ritchy Desir (5-11, 168, So.) 4 Brandon Reddish (5-10, 179, So.)
LS 47 Sam Rodgers (6-1, 215, So.) 61 Eric Morris (5-9, 227, Sr.)
SS 61 Eric Morris (5-9, 227, Sr.) 47 Sam Rodgers (6-1, 215, So.)
Holder 17 Charley Loeb (6-4, 212, Jr.) 46 Jonathan Fisher (6-1, 209, So.)

At DE, I expect Goggins will win one starting position, with Sharpe winning the other. I think the second team, who will also play a lot, will be Robinson and either Simmons or Pierce-Brewster. Hope Simmons weighs more than 226. He has to add at least 15 pounds of muscle to his frame each season if he is to be a factor at DE for this program. I think Goggins is better suited for DE and will have a fine season. Might even make 2nd or 3rd team all conference. Hoping Simmons or Pierce-Brewster emerges as a legitimate pass rushing force. We haven't had a good pass rusher at DE in a long time...even Chandler was not particularly good in this area. Even though we have lost both starters from last season, I am quite happy with this group. There is a nice blend of experience and talent and I think they will be fine..

Inside, we lose Boatman for reasons that are unclear to me, but even so, Crume is a promising prospect, and Zian Jones should at least be a capable space eater as his backup. We are bigger than we have been at NT in years. That alone should make up better against the run inside than we have been in years.

At DT, I expect Bromley to step up and contend for all conference honors. He has NFL ability, he has NFL size and now he has experience as well. Big drop off from him. Hope Sloan has lost that extra weight that slowed him down so much last fall. Maybe Walls can surprise early.

What does it all mean? I really don't know what the staff is doing here. It appears the staff is intentionally instilling chaos and instability in this unit. They were clearly extremely unhappy with the performance of the group last year and I think the new coach and the new approach is an attempt to send a message that things must change here. Without seeing them practice. I don't have a clue as to what is going to happen but I think when push comes to shove, Shafer is going to want experience here...his units do best when he has people who know what to do out there. That makes Coker a real longshot to get PT. The same applies to Virgille. You have 5 linebackers and 3 starting positions up for grabs. Good chance one of the non starters ends up playing the Okie position, which is almost a starting position.. Would not be surprised at all to see Lynch there...he would be well suited to playing there.

At CB, everyone had Anderson and Lyn locked in as starters but in this crazy year, the staff has Brandon Reddish penciled in as a starter, and Anderson and Lyn are both playing the same position. I am going to assume Reddish is playing the wide CB position,. where he will be on an island without help a lot, and Anderson and Lyn are going to play on the close side. Very curious. Reddish has exceptional speed and great hips but he was lost when he got on the field last season. Looked improved in the spring but wow, surprised to see him almost given a starting job right now. Will they eventually switch Lyn or Anderson to compete with Reddish? One would think so, but this year, especially on defense, who can tell? Interesting to see Morgan, a guy the staff thought was going to be a safety last year, is working out at CB initially. He, like Reddish, is an exceptional athlete.

At strong safety, we finally have what appears to be a rock solid starter in Sharmarko Thomas. When Shu heard the siren call of the rappers and left the team, it paved the way for Devante McFarland to start his SU career at SS, where he is the logical successor to Shamarko; Desir is really undersized to be a SS, don't think he will stay there long term (probably will end up at FS, maybe CB instead).

At free safety, there is another great battle unfolding between experienced and undersized Wilkes and Eskridge, who is perhaps the best athlete on the team. It would be a bold move to start the youngster over Wilkes. I think it happens. Dontez Ford is a force to be reckoned with. Not sure where it will be but I think he makes a big impact at SU during his time on the Hill.

This defensive unit has, if Shafer opts to use it, some real speed and some real hard hitters. I think if the DL can put any pressure on the QB at all, we will see this unit produce a lot of turnovers. Might allow some long plays too but it should be a unit that is very aggressive and is fun to watch.

Will talk special teams tomorrow..
Great explanation of the key options for the defense!

Our linebackers are small & light. We need to address this in the very near future...

At DE, I expect Goggins will win one starting position...I think Goggins is better suited for DE and will have a fine season.

Curious what makes you think this. At 6-1, 272, I find it hard to believe that he's better suited for End. I thought Goggins was only playing DE in the Spring because we had no bodies there.

I would love to see that but DCSS is an aggressive 4-3 guru. He's probably just going to rotate the bejesus out of the front seven to keep them all fresh.

Personally I think he is lacking as a 4-3 DC. We have been most effective as a D when we have played Spread teams and gone a lot of Okie.

this defense could end up being the best in the big east

And it could also end up being the worst. That is the issue right now, we have a lot of question marks. Besides Bromley and Shamarko everything is yet to be determined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom