Devan Carter to Rutgers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Devan Carter to Rutgers

I though the prior staff was headed in the right direction . Obviously it's not going to happen over night but it seemed a big emphasis was put on new York state kids . Once a few classes of kids go through the university and the younger kids see the area guys they looked up to continuously chose Syracuse it becomes expected of them to go there . I'm not saying this is the new staffs fault all I am saying is I hope they continue to keep an emphasis on getting the new York kids to stay home .we can't continually lose in state talent and I don't think we will once we continue to improve . It's just tough seeing right now bc basically every other school is able to keep local kids home . Edwards and now carter are much bigger losses then Allen and even brown is he chooses to de-commit

Said it prior, but we still need a D-Backs coach, yes?

Hoping Shafe is looking for a guy with NY/Northeast recruiting ties and highschool coach relationships... Would be a good way to round out what looks like a very good (albeit midwest-centric) coaching staff...

I though the prior staff was headed in the right direction . Obviously it's not going to happen over night but it seemed a big emphasis was put on new York state kids . Once a few classes of kids go through the university and the younger kids see the area guys they looked up to continuously chose Syracuse it becomes expected of them to go there . I'm not saying this is the new staffs fault all I am saying is I hope they continue to keep an emphasis on getting the new York kids to stay home .we can't continually lose in state talent and I don't think we will once we continue to improve . It's just tough seeing right now bc basically every other school is able to keep local kids home . Edwards and now carter are much bigger losses then Allen and even brown is he chooses to de-commit

Said it prior, but we still need a D-Backs coach, yes?

Hoping Shafe is looking for a guy with NY/Northeast recruiting ties and highschool coach relationships... Would be a good way to round out what looks like a very good (albeit midwest-centric) coaching staff...

I thought that waws what Marrone was going to do? You know, build a relationship with coaches (which is at least 50% of getting a kid) among other things. Like the Rochester scrimmage.
I know he was trying. What do you think - did it work? Or 4 years of busting ass blown away like a fart in the wind? In case you can't tell, I'm not sold on NYS recruiting. Too much work to do trying to show kids their hand in front of their face, too much of the time.

I know he was trying. What do you think - did it work? Or 4 years of busting ass blown away like a fart in the wind? In case you can't tell, I'm not sold on NYS recruiting. Too much work to do trying to show kids their hand in front of their face, too much of the time.

I mean obviously it worked . Look at the staff prior to him that had a staff without northeast ties . You aren't going to get the best players from other states rarely ever so you better get the best players from your state and area or how do you expect to compete consistently at a high level?

Ok, how come when they lost shady we didn't poach their recruits, but they just love taking ours. I am actually ticked about this. They are the greasiest ba$tards out there!
Who cares let him go

I mean obviously it worked . Look at the staff prior to him that had a staff without northeast ties . You aren't going to get the best players from other states rarely ever so you better get the best players from your state and area or how do you expect to compete consistently at a high level?
Get good players, regardless of where they are from, and coach them well.

The whole "northeast ties!!!!" thing irks me so much, I hope we don't have any such person on the staff, so that people can see that you can succeed without trying to pigeonhole your coaching candidates so needlessly. The previous staff wasn't hamstrung by a lack of "northeast ties" - they just plain sucked, overall.

It didn't work in upstate and I wonder about downstate. We never got the big one and most of the others probably had to do with Anselmo.

The whole "northeast ties!!!!" thing irks me so much, I hope we don't have any such person on the staff, so that people can see that you can succeed without trying to pigeonhole your coaching candidates so needlessly. The previous staff wasn't hamstrung by a lack of "northeast ties" - they just plain sucked, overall.

Under coach Mac we had mostly northeast kids with some speed positions from Florida . All I'm saying is your not going to pull the best players out of the south or Midwest . Sure you can get some good players who weren't offered by their local power house, but your not going to get the best . You need to get a majority of the local kids and then branch out . Again nothing against the current staff just saying losing these 2 kids today hurts more the most.

:eek: What ...of all schools , Rutgers. (n) Why the **** would anybody want to go to Rutgers?Oh Lord

Under coach Mac we had mostly northeast kids with some speed positions from Florida . All I'm saying is your not going to pull the best players out of the south or Midwest . Sure you can get some good players who weren't offered by their local power house, but your not going to get the best . You need to get a majority of the local kids and then branch out . Again nothing against the current staff just saying losing these 2 kids today hurts more the most.
For the record, I would be delighted if they were still committed and signed LOI's. But after four years of Marrone's hard work, the bloom is coming off the "NYS kid" rose for me. How much time and effort do we want to expend trying to persuade kids that their natural fit is at their own state's school? If it's all cutthroat mercenary stuff, then go where the interest is, and geography be damned.

:eek: What ...of all schools , Rutgers. (n) Why the **** would anybody want to go to Rutgers?Oh Lord
Kid wants to win a National Championship. Simple as that. Also, believes in Santa Claus, but that's another story.

Kid wants to win a National Championship. Simple as that. Also, believes in Santa Clause, but that's another story.
Wait, wait, what are you saying? :p

Seems Marsh has been F bombing the wrong school all along.

I think this needs to change.
For now I'll take up to cause but I cannot imagine Rutgers being significant enough to really warrant many repeats.

BF RUTGERS

The BF doesn't stand for best friend.

I always thought that Mac did better with average kids than the few supposed 4/5 stars that SU landed back then. That staff did a nice job with guys changing positions once they were in the program too. QBs to WRs or DBs. DBs to LBs. TEs to OL

For the record, I would be delighted if they were still committed and signed LOI's. But after four years of Marrone's hard work, the bloom is coming off the "NYS kid" rose for me. How much time and effort do we want to expend trying to persuade kids that their natural fit is at their own state's school? If it's all cutthroat mercenary stuff, then go where the interest is, and geography be damned.
Good call.

it's going to take a lot more then 4 years. I thought we made great work in that time, especially down state. We've got some very productive players from new York . You need a couple entire classes to go through so you have enough time for the young kids who are coming up that idolize these kids to get it to the point where it's expected. We didn't get the top player in the state the past couple year, but we got the rest. It's just a matter of time, and a few more wins before I think it will come full circle .

it's going to take a lot more then 4 years. I thought we made great work in that time, especially down state. We've got some very productive players from new York . You need a couple entire classes to go through so you have enough time for the young kids who are coming up that idolize these kids to get it to the point where it's expected. We didn't get the top player in the state the past couple year, but we got the rest. It's just a matter of time, and a few more wins before I think it will come full circle .
I get hammered for suggesting that kids get blinded by programs like ND, Florida, Clemson, etc - but the fact is that NY puts out very few top recruits and when those recruits hear from the whose who from around the country, SU is going to lose the battle far more times than it wins. That is the reality. SU has lost the top NY players to ND, Florida, Clemson.....how can anyone blame a KID for choosing those football destinations?

Can anyone ever be happy out here with the very solid group of NYC kids SU did get over the past couple of years?

I get hammered for suggesting that kids get blinded by programs like ND, Florida, Clemson, etc - but the fact is that NY puts out very few top recruits and when those recruits hear from the whose who from around the country, SU is going to lose the battle far more times than it wins. That is the reality. SU has lost the top NY players to ND, Florida, Clemson.....how can anyone blame a KID for choosing those football destinations?

Can anyone ever be happy out here with the very solid group of NYC kids SU did get over the past couple of years?

I believe I just said we had some very productive players from new York?

And until dabo swinney got there Clemson was nothing special and rutgers is well rutgers .

In the long run, you fail if you don't focus on kids in the 6 hour driving distance. Otherwise every time an asst leaves you have to start over with the new guy and the area he is good at. 6 hours has to be number 1, coaching contacts come next outside that.

In the long run, you fail if you don't focus on kids in the 6 hour driving distance. Otherwise every time an asst leaves you have to start over with the new guy and the area he is good at. 6 hours has to be number 1, coaching contacts come next outside that.

Like this?

John Garcia Jr.@JohnGarcia_Jr
3-star Chauncey Scissum to #Syracuse, that's a win purely for Scott Shafer. He was his recruiter for three years and sealed the deal himself

Sounds like Shafe could not give him a schollie while Marrone was here??

Like this?

John Jr.@John _Jr
3-star Chauncey Scissum to #Syracuse, that's a win purely for Scott Shafer. He was his recruiter for three years and sealed the deal himself

if shafer liked him that much then i am happy to have him, and especially thrilled he's a local kid.

just hope that doesn't mean Singleton is out

If Scissum could play D1 lacrosse at syracuse as a midfielder then he can play D1 football but we'll see. Is Scissum Shafer's Bruce Williams? We;ll see.

rugters is going to find out the same thing WV did when the left to the B12..

you can compete in the BE with a high level Offense or a Solid Defense because only 2-3 teams in the league could play enough offense to out score you or score on a solid D. WV which had an elite offense barely made a bowl game with top tier players at all 3 skill positions. Even elite teams don't do that every year. They better shore up the D and keep recruiting because the scheme isnt going to get any better.

Rutgers is going to find out the same if they dont get their act together quickly. The D will get pounded by B10 teams because even as bad as some of them look they were still all bigger than any BE team and wisc/osu/mich/neb/nw alll get skill guys to go with the size. We were not as good on D as rutgers but could compete and our offense was till way better the last 2-3 years even with all our issues.

The SEC boys can make the B10 look big and slow, rutgers can not.

you can compete in the BE with a high level Offense or a Solid Defense because only 2-3 teams in the league could play enough offense to out score you or score on a solid D. WV which had an elite offense barely made a bowl game with top tier players at all 3 skill positions. Even elite teams don't do that every year. They better shore up the D and keep recruiting because the scheme isnt going to get any better.

Rutgers is going to find out the same if they dont get their act together quickly. The D will get pounded by B10 teams because even as bad as some of them look they were still all bigger than any BE team and wisc/osu/mich/neb/nw alll get skill guys to go with the size. We were not as good on D as rutgers but could compete and our offense was till way better the last 2-3 years even with all our issues.

Agree.

And with the loss of most of their defense...they'll struggle this year in the BE which will impact their 2014 recruiting. They'll be a perpetual doormat in the B1G.

Agree.

And with the loss of most of their defense...they'll struggle this year in the BE which will impact their 2014 recruiting. They'll be a perpetual doormat in the B1G.

I think buttgers stinks and will continue to stink probably for eternity. But imo you're both overestimating the Big Ten. Obviously the top teams like Ohio State and Michigan are much better than the Big East's top teams (at least on a consistent basis), which will prevent buttgers from ever coming even remotely close to competing for a BCS bowl birth. But the rest are generally the same level as the BE. Meaning, if a program is a middle-of-the-pack BE program, they will also be a middle-of-the-pack B1G team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom