Devan Carter to Rutgers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Devan Carter to Rutgers

It seems that rutty never left this kid even though he committed to SU and from what I remember didn't Marrone stop recruiting kids that verballed? I'm not so sure this new staff will lay off recruits like Marrones did and it seemed to pay off for Rutty and how they still were able to get Carter.

the b10 lower tier guys could not compete because they lacked the play makers. the BE lower tier struggle for multiple reasons. the 5-7 BE team would be a 9-11 B10 team because the schedule will grind them down.

For now I'll take up to cause but I cannot imagine Rutgers being significant enough to really warrant many repeats.

BF RUTGERS

The BF doesn't stand for best friend.

Bernie Fine? :rolleyes:

His aunt is married into the Gause family, that's a big reason he's going to Rutgers.

As a life-long Syracuse fan and Rochester native, I'm not happy with Carter's choice of Rutgers over SU. But I've know his coach since my son played for him at his previous school. Fortunate enough to get to know Devan just a little bit. I'm all for bashing Rutgers and I also believe they will have a tough time in the Big Ten. And I also think down the road Devan might regret his decision. But he is a good kid and comes across as very thoughtful and intelligent. And he stuck by his coach and teammates to help turn the program around when all the private-catholic schools were after him to transfer with promises of getting him a scholarship. SU didn't stay in touch over the last year nearly as well as Rutgers. Shafer himself has said, in putting together his staff, this business is all about relationships. Plain and simple, he and his mom trusted the guys he knew better with the next 4-5 years of his life over guys he's met once or twice for a few hours.

I'm disappointed that our fan base is so petty that it's calling a kid that, in other threads was anointed as the next great LB, as now being stupid and not tough.

As a life-long Syracuse fan and Rochester native, I'm not happy with Carter's choice of Rutgers over SU. But I've know his coach since my son played for him at his previous school. Fortunate enough to get to know Devan just a little bit. I'm all for bashing Rutgers and I also believe they will have a tough time in the Big Ten. And I also think down the road Devan might regret his decision. But he is a good kid and comes across as very thoughtful and intelligent. And he stuck by his coach and teammates to help turn the program around when all the private-catholic schools were after him to transfer with promises of getting him a scholarship. SU didn't stay in touch over the last year nearly as well as Rutgers. Shafer himself has said, in putting together his staff, this business is all about relationships. Plain and simple, he and his mom trusted the guys he knew better with the next 4-5 years of his life over guys he's met once or twice for a few hours.

I'm disappointed that our fan base is so petty that it's calling a kid that, in other threads was anointed as the next great LB, as now being stupid and not tough.
Well said.

Best of luck to Devan, I hope he does well. But...I'll be rooting for his team to struggle in every game.

Nice post. I am very disappointed in what happened but I wish Devan the best in Piscataway. Perhaps we will see him again in a Pinstripe Bowl sometime down the road...

Well, we were told in October, that recruiting was all wrapped up. No need to stay in touch evidently. Hopefully, moving forward, this situation will not happen again and from what I've seen in the short 2 weeks the new staff has been on the recruiting trail, it won't.

If Shafer offered him as a RB, do you think he would've come?

I find this story incredibly hard to believe unless the poster is speaking specifically to the period of upheaval immediately surrounding the coaching change. I know the system that was set up, and failing to stay in regular contact with oral commitments was not part of it. This is the first time in four years I've heard a report of a recruit saying SU - and in this case one of its best recruiters - failed to stay in touch with him while another school wooed him. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it is the first and only time I've heard of it in the last four years.

SU didn't stay in touch over the last year nearly as well as Rutgers. Shafer himself has said, in putting together his staff, this business is all about relationships.

Sounds to me like Buttgers wanted him more than Syracuse did. We'll see a few years from now if we will regret that decision.

Nothing here is shocking.

I find this story incredibly hard to believe unless the poster is speaking specifically to the period of upheaval immediately surrounding the coaching change. I know the system that was set up, and failing to stay in regular contact with oral commitments was not part of it. This is the first time in four years I've heard a report of a recruit saying SU - and in this case one of its best recruiters - failed to stay in touch with him while another school wooed him. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it is the first and only time I've heard of it in the last four years.

Without posting subscriber information from other sites, it's fair to say the impression he made after his official visit was one where he was very excited to play for his future position coach. That doesn't sound like a comment that someone would make that has been in little contact with a person.

"Oh I'm so excited to play for someone I don't know and hardly talk to".

Don't buy it. What I do buy is that Rutgers was all up his ass trying to poach him and with the staff turmoil he felt more comfortable with their staff than the new SU staff whom he doesn't really know at all outside of a few interactions with Shafer.

Without posting subscriber information from other sites, it's fair to say the impression he made after his official visit was one where he was very excited to play for his future position coach. That doesn't sound like a comment that someone would make that has been in little contact with a person.

"Oh I'm so excited to play for someone I don't know and hardly talk to".

Don't buy it. What I do buy is that Rutgers was all up his ass trying to poach him and with the staff turmoil he felt more comfortable with their staff than the new SU staff whom he doesn't really know at all outside of a few interactions with Shafer.

What's the future position?

9k=

traitor

If Shafer offered him as a RB, do you think he would've come?

From what I understand, Shafer did give him the okay to give RB a shot. I also know Devan's coach told him he could very likely end up at LB at Rutgers. It honestly came down to a personal relationship thing. Carter really likes the new staff at SU, but those simply aren't the guys that were checking in on him regularly, especially during his injury recovery. That went a long way for Rutgers.

That comment was in regards to his official to SU, not to Rutgers. But I'm guessing it would have been Morrison since he was being recruited as a linebacker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom