Development in and Around Syracuse Discussion

FAL

Hall of Fame
A lot of proposed development will depend on what happens with I-81, don'tcha think?

shandeezy7

All American
A lot of proposed development will depend on what happens with I-81, don'tcha think?
There's a lot of proposed development up on the SU Hill that was discussed in the prior thread before it was locked up.

Trueblue25

Great Dungey’s Kneecap
So not the university?

Alright. Anyone have any idea how nice the 13 floors of apartments going in the State Tower are supposed to be? Rent is supposed to range from anywhere between 750 to nearly 2 grand a month. I'd expect these to be pretty nice units.

So not the university?

Alright. Anyone have any idea how nice the 13 floors of apartments going in the State Tower are supposed to be? Rent is supposed to range from anywhere between 750 to nearly 2 grand a month. I'd expect these to be pretty nice units.
Just my opinion, but I go on the Downtown Living Tour every year to check out the available living spaces, and they all seem pretty nice. The only thing I sometimes see lacking is laundry. If you are paying over a grand a month then you want and should have, convenient laundry. Other than that I am sure they'll be nice.

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member
So not the university?

This thread is for anything not directly related to the SU campus in general and the dome renovation specifically.

So feel free to opine about Chuck's, high rise student housing near Marshall St, I-81 anxiety, State Fair stuff, etc.

Anything but the dome renovation.

Trueblue25

Great Dungey’s Kneecap
Just my opinion, but I go on the Downtown Living Tour every year to check out the available living spaces, and they all seem pretty nice. The only thing I sometimes see lacking is laundry. If you are paying over a grand a month then you want and should have, convenient laundry. Other than that I am sure they'll be nice.
They won't come with wash and dryers?! That's a massive red flag for my age group, or any I'm sure. Yeah for that price that should be an amenity

AZOrange

Living Legend
Whatever happened to that dude that ran for mayor and wanted to build a roller coaster from the university to armory. Ran in 2001-3 timeframe. Get that guy back

They won't come with wash and dryers?! That's a massive red flag for my age group, or any I'm sure. Yeah for that price that should be an amenity
Just to be clear. I have no idea whether they do or do not. But I've seen at least one I can think of in that price range which did not. It was gorgeous otherwise with a huge deck for each apartment, but I couldn't get over paying that much and not having your own laundry.

Trueblue25

Great Dungey’s Kneecap
Just to be clear. I have no idea whether they do or do not. But I've seen at least one I can think of in that price range which did not. It was gorgeous otherwise with a huge deck for each apartment, but I couldn't get over paying that much and not having your own laundry.
Ah alright. I'd imagine they'd come with them then, the majority of the armory square and clinton apartments I've seen in that price range do come with them. Not trying to live out freshman year again.

Wonder if the 81 reconfiguration or the further connection between the hill and downtown will cause urban growth at all. Would love to see downtown continue to see a resurgence. Syracuse has promise.

Cheriehoop

Staff member
I have to wonder about demand for rental apartments. Every SU football, basketball game I go past this brand new unfinished gigantic housing complex on Brighton and Thurber. It's additional student housing with 422 bedrooms. It's quite a walk to SU so unless SU extends transportation, the students will need a car. (about 2 miles). I hope that demand will fill up all these numerous projects popping up all over the city.

Big new student apartment project in Syracuse to include tanning beds, sauna

shandeezy7

All American
I have to wonder about demand for rental apartments. Every SU football, basketball game I go past this brand new unfinished gigantic housing complex on Brighton and Thurber. It's additional student housing with 422 bedrooms. It's quite a walk to SU so unless SU extends transportation, the students will need a car. (about 2 miles). I hope that demand will fill up all these numerous projects popping up all over the city.

Big new student apartment project in Syracuse to include tanning beds, sauna
Having lived for 2 years across the street from there in Clarendon Heights, I know there were a number of grad students that live in those apartment complexes in that area, as well as at Nob Hill at the top of Brighton. It's right on the Centro line, which runs through there and down Comstock and I believe drops off right at the Quad. Not free transportation, of course, but neither is finding somewhere to park your car on campus.

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
State fair related: not to be confused with the gondola talk, I'm hearing that they are also in the engineering phase for installing a skyride that will run the length of Broadway. They hope to have it ready for the 2017 fair. I would expect the gondola system connecting to the amphitheater to take a little longer to figure out. Personally, as someone who thinks the fair is now stretched a bit far with the new reconfiguration, a skyride connecting the east and west ends would be a great amenity and long overdue. The other top fairs (Minnesota, Texas) that we compete with have long had such attractions.

But this time it comes with a new $2m price tag ... to just review the alternatives ... again. I hope they charge each municipality and Save81 that fee.
I know 2 million sounds like a lot, but compared to 4 billion its a drop in the bucket, something like .00005% of the cost of the project. I'd rather they spend the extra money and get it right.

Though I agree with you that it would be fitting to see Save 81 saddled with that fee. Let them put their money where their complaining is.

Fly Rodder

Lord of the Sebouillia
I work in engineering/consulting; billable hours cost money. The fee isn't the issue, it's that they're paying that much to do pretty much the same job over again for no other reason than some pols really didn't like the outcome of the first one. 90% of that report is going to be cut and paste from the previous one. I could see a re-do if the tunnel proponents put forth a new conceptual design that improved on the original alternatives and met all the substantive requirements or they identified innovative technologies to either reduce the cost or construction issues that plague a tunnel alternative. AFAIK, they have done neither. It's just a do-over.

OttoMets

Living Legend
I work in engineering/consulting; billable hours cost money. The fee isn't the issue, it's that they're paying that much to do pretty much the same job over again for no other reason than some pols really didn't like the outcome of the first one. 90% of that report is going to be cut and paste from the previous one. I could see a re-do if the tunnel proponents put forth a new conceptual design that improved on the original alternatives and met all the substantive requirements or they identified innovative technologies to either reduce the cost or construction issues that plague a tunnel alternative. AFAIK, they have done neither. It's just a do-over.
Maybe one difference - Parsons Brinckerhoff could be considered a somewhat partial consultant, given the work they do on similar projects. I made a joke last week about this kind of firm doing the study. In a perfect world, a more independent actor would conduct the study and point out what an unnecessary, destructive, and wasteful idea a tunnel is.

IthacaMatt

Living Legend

I can't believe they can charge you in this town to look at unrented apartments and model homes.

longtimefan

All American
Maybe one difference - Parsons Brinckerhoff could be considered a somewhat partial consultant, given the work they do on similar projects. I made a joke last week about this kind of firm doing the study. In a perfect world, a more independent actor would conduct the study and point out what an unnecessary, destructive, and wasteful idea a tunnel is.
I expect that this is to provide cover for the state officials whose job it is to make such decisions.

The report will likely conclude that a tunnel is a go only if the locals are willing to pay X times the amount in construction costs vis-a-vis the other options (which won't some out of CNY pockets :confused:) and ongoing maintenance costs (which will be borne locally--ouch).

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
The report will likely conclude that a tunnel is a go only if the locals are willing to pay X times the amount in construction costs vis-a-vis the other options
it doesn't work that way. The Feds will pay 80-90% of whatever option is chosen regardless of the plan.

longtimefan

All American
it doesn't work that way. The Feds will pay 80-90% of whatever option is chosen regardless of the plan.
Regardless, if the tunnel option is twice as expensive as an alternative (which it is), the non-federal 10-20% share will amount to twice as much money.

Top Bottom