Devin Leary injury updates (Out for season) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Devin Leary injury updates (Out for season)

It might be better for us if Leary is good to go.

We're not as confident in our ability to stop the run.

If all they can do effectively with the back up is run... might actually make the match up more challenging.
I don't agree with these takes on stopping the pass vs. the run. Our best defensive game was against UL and our worst defensive game was against Purdue. O'Connell and Jones torched our All-Conference CB and secondary.

Leary is capable of carving up the secondary provided enough time. It's not like NCSU is going to be unveiling Israel Abanikanda and Pitt's run game.

I hope Leary is ok, but I will be glad to miss him.

I don't agree with these takes on stopping the pass vs. the run. Our best defensive game was against UL and our worst defensive game was against Purdue. O'Connell and Jones torched our All-Conference CB and secondary.

Leary is capable of carving up the secondary provided enough time. It's not like NCSU is going to be unveiling Israel Abanikanda and Pitt's run game.

Yup. Vegas told us 2 hours ago their thoughts. Much better for us if Leary is out

These are ridiculous takes. I think Devin was pre season player of the year in ACC. Id say we are better off with him out:)

So...

I get what you're saying.

But what I'm saying is, and I know this is going to be popular... a lot of coaches are pretty dumb.

Lot of ego involved. They like playing their way.

Even if it means that they could get 6 yards a carry just running the ball every single play, they aren't going to do that.

They'll get cute. Try to play "real football" and do all the things. Because you're supposed to.

So what I'm saying here is that Purdue has a really good passing game, and they had a lot of success moving the ball, but that's the way they wanted to play.

I think teams could be trashing us on the ground right now.

But that's not how they want to play.

That's not how NC State wants to play with Leary.

But if their only choice is a backup running QB, well...

So...

But what I'm saying is, and I know this is going to be popular... a lot of coaches are pretty dumb.

Even if it means that they could get 6 yards a carry just running the ball every single play, they aren't going to do that.

They'll get cute. Try to play "real football" and do all the things. Because you're supposed to.

So what I'm saying here is that Purdue has a really good passing game, and they had a lot of success moving the ball, but that's the way they wanted to play.

well they didnt get cute last night when Leary went out.. The QB threw 1 pass.. They just pounded FSU who had like 3 DLs get hurt.

If all they can do effectively with the back up is run... might actually make the match up more challenging.
If there’s no threat of a pass it makes stopping the run a lot easier. With Leary in there they could spread us out and run it right at our weakness. If he’s out we can stack the box, press our corners, and dare them to throw the ball.

Regardless of whether or not Leary plays this is not a good situation for NC State. He either plays dinged up or the backup goes in.

I’m not worried about our defense. If our offense can show out then I’ll feel skippy about the rest of this season. NC State defense is stout.

So...

Perfect example of this is when Sunshine went down for Clemson vs us in 2018. Up until that point they were biased to the areal attack and we were controlling their offense. When he went down, they started shoving ETN down our throats. I actually think we win that game if NyQuil doesn’t smoke Sunshine.

Either way, I think the MOB handles NSCT offense, so it‘s less important for this game. It will come down to our offense scoring enough

So...

I get what you're saying, but I just don't agree. Leary being out makes NCSU one dimensional. It enables us to stack the box to bolster a weak DL with the LB and S. I feel very comfortable with the attacking 3-3-5 scheme we have to be able to do that.

Our true weakness is a spread / air raid style pass offense with a stout OL (Purdue) where we have to cover, spy the RB, and cannot create a lot of push. Even AA CBs can only cover effectively for about 5-7 seconds. In this scenario we get gashed by the run or the pass because the DL simply cannot hold their own and there is limited help from the LB/DBs.

I don’t think so. They are not particularly good at running.

So...

I understand your point. But I think the best thing that could happen would be for us to get out in the front, and make them trying to play three yards and a cloud of dust an exercise in futility.

What's happening to them reminds me of what's often happened to us in seasons where we have a rough stretch of games and have several key players get dinged up, and we're the walking wounded headed into a game like this. Only now, the shoe is on the other foot. They've had two brutal games that have softened them up physically, and they've had several key injuries. We have to capitalize.

Score, score, score, and put pressure on them to keep up.

So...

I think NC State’s game plan was going to be run centric with Leary or without him.

At least for our D, without Leary, they can load up more. And should open them up to 3rd and long turnovers.

Look, without Leary it isn’t like our team can just show up hung over from a night at Chuck’s and win but there is no question that without him playing our task is easier
Really worried about coming out of the bye. Team has not performed well recently out of the bye week. NCst has a really strong D. We have to hope that the OL and run game will be able to handle the pressure and move the ball.

Let’s hope Virginia was the game where the turnover diahrrea was flushed out of our system. Need to play a clean game.

Really worried about coming out of the bye. Team has not performed well recently out of the bye week. NCst has a really strong D. We have to hope that the OL and run game will be able to handle the pressure and move the ball.

Yeah, but we’re not traveling to Louisville, KY, so that’s good.

Perfect example of this is when Sunshine went down for Clemson vs us in 2018. Up until that point they were biased to the areal attack and we were controlling their offense. When he went down, they started shoving ETN down our throats. I actually think we win that game if NyQuil doesn’t smoke Sunshine.

Either way, I think the MOB handles NSCT offense, so it‘s less important for this game. It will come down to our offense scoring enough
That is a perfect example.

It made no sense that they didn't just run their all world running back behind their offensive line on us.

But you don't do that with Lawrence.

With the backup QB though, yeah, you do.

I understand your point. But I think the best thing that could happen would be for us to get out in the front, and make them trying to play three yards and a cloud of dust an exercise in futility.

What's happening to them reminds me of what's often happened to us in seasons where we have a rough stretch of games and have several key players get dinged up, and we're the walking wounded headed into a game like this. Only now, the shoe is on the other foot. They've had two brutal games that have softened them up physically, and they've had several key injuries. We have to capitalize.

Score, score, score, and put pressure on them to keep up.
You don't need to convince me that the best way to go is to put points up first and make them play from behind the whole game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom