Devin Leary injury updates (Out for season) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Devin Leary injury updates (Out for season)

Here's my lurking fear - since the injuries to Lockett and Thompson, there's not a whole lot we'll be able to do to stop a team that makes an effort to run against us. Regardless of the excellence of their talent. I think it'll give us a hard time.

Part of what I'm banking on is that all these coaches we face with shiny quarterbacks are like "Me quarterback shiny! Dead pig go in air! Lots!" (In this scenario, these coaches talk like cavemen for... reasons, I guess. I digest...) Because they can't help themselves. Some of these guys punt from their opponent's 35 because they're all concussed and that factors into their decision making!

Now, Doeren seems like a dweeb, but he's not an idiot, and Chip's probably right - NC State will attack us with the run regardless.

I'm just saying. Weird stuff can happen on the football field. It wouldn't be totally shocking to me if the backup plays, they go run heavy, and we really struggle with it. Maybe more than we would have struggled with Leary.

Another reason I think that is because of our corners. Not always a luxury we get to flaunt. Why attack our strengths when you can attack our weaknesses? Purdue had more confidence in their QB-WR-TE combo and went after it. NC State doesn't have that same luxury this year, even with Leary.

The key for us is that we have to score on that defense. Take them out of what they want to do. On defense, we can load up more than normal (if he beats us deep once, who cares, make them do it more). All effort on D, force some holding calls. Completely takes them out of what they want to do. That's when turnovers come into play.

Re: 'The Old Syracuse': We still don't know if we're not the Old SU. We could lose out.

I don't think we will. But the schedule is tough, our depth is lacking, and Dino's still our HC. In other words, jury's still out.

We should beat NC State. They're more beaten up than we are at key positions and we've got them here.

If not, will we be haunted by the ghosts of the Old Syracuse? I know I will...

Re: 'The Old Syracuse': We still don't know if we're not the Old SU. We could lose out.

I don't think we will. But the schedule is tough, our depth is lacking, and Dino's still our HC. In other words, jury's still out.

We should beat NC State. They're more beaten up than we are at key positions and we've got them here.

If not, will we be haunted by the ghosts of the Old Syracuse? I know I will...
You get haunted if you allow it to haunt you. Just live in the moment. Week by week. Thats what helps me.

The key for us is that we have to score on that defense. Take them out of what they want to do. On defense, we can load up more than normal (if he beats us deep once, who cares, make them do it more). All effort on D, force some holding calls. Completely takes them out of what they want to do. That's when turnovers come into play
It's important that we attack their defense but do it smart. Low risk high reward. I imagine their offense will struggle so dont give them easy turnovers that can neutralize the game.

I get it. A reasonable fear. I guess I just don’t think teams who are not good at running will find success against us even with our depth issues inside.

We have a really solid scheme and 2/3 of maybe the best LB corp in the ACC. We’ve not been bad against the run, generally this year. I think it’s because we disguise things pretty well. It messes up protection and running lanes.

It’s possible they expose a weakness we haven’t shown with a strength they don’t seem to have while abandoning the threat of a real passing game. To your point, football is weird. But I’d say this turn of events benefits us.
Well said

Another reason I think that is because of our corners. Not always a luxury we get to flaunt. Why attack our strengths when you can attack our weaknesses? Purdue had more confidence in their QB-WR-TE combo and went after it. NC State doesn't have that same luxury this year, even with Leary.

The key for us is that we have to score on that defense. Take them out of what they want to do. On defense, we can load up more than normal (if he beats us deep once, who cares, make them do it more). All effort on D, force some holding calls. Completely takes them out of what they want to do. That's when turnovers come into play.
and Purdue is not the same team now.. Jones is really dinged up and not at full speed and neither is the QB

Here's my lurking fear - since the injuries to Lockett and Thompson, there's not a whole lot we'll be able to do to stop a team that makes an effort to run against us. Regardless of the excellence of their talent. I think it'll give us a hard time.

Part of what I'm banking on is that all these coaches we face with shiny quarterbacks are like "Me quarterback shiny! Dead pig go in air! Lots!" (In this scenario, these coaches talk like cavemen for... reasons, I guess. I digest...) Because they can't help themselves. Some of these guys punt from their opponent's 35 because they're all concussed and that factors into their decision making!

Now, Doeren seems like a dweeb, but he's not an idiot, and Chip's probably right - NC State will attack us with the run regardless.

I'm just saying. Weird stuff can happen on the football field. It wouldn't be totally shocking to me if the backup plays, they go run heavy, and we really struggle with it. Maybe more than we would have struggled with Leary.

Ah, the 'ol hedge tilt. We have had basically 3 weeks to prepare for NCST, as the Wagner game was not even scrimmage capacity. Meanwhile, NCST had to go to Top 5 Clemson, and then preoccupied in fighting their arses off against a solid FSU team this past weekend.

Furthermore, they are now going to be without their talented starting QB and we may even be worse off because of it. Good lord! If there was ever going to be a time to win a game like this with such a huge scheduling advantage given us, their QB out and playing at home, this is certainly it.

And, "you just saying weird stuff can happen on the football field" is somewhat comical. What kind of weird stuff are you specifically talking about? Are you talking bewitching, voodoo type stuff that State has up their sleeve? Or, weird stuff being; they simply came into a hostile environment, with all of the aforementioned adversity, etc. and somehow still pulled out the W? I'm all ears.

Well, if that were to happen, that's simply being out gritted, out toughed, out schemed/coached, etc. and just better even with all of that immense headwind facing them. Perhaps, playing better, winning football under all of those circumstances has nothing to do with being "weird?" But, simply, just more excuses.

And, you just saying, "weird stuff" can happen on the football field" is comical. What kind of weird stuff are you specifically talking about? Are we talking bewitching, voodoo type stuff that State has up their sleeve? Or, weird stuff being; they simple came into a hostile environment, with all of the aforementioned adversity, etc. and somehow still pulled out the W?
Im sure he means this. Football is a sport that can humble you real fast. All the things you mentioned is how everyone feels. They still have to do it.

Based on the QB injury report, the DB who has to sit out a half, playing in the friendly environs of our Dome and NC St's 2 weeks of Murderer's Row, I'm more guardedly optimistic than I've ever been about this game. That's as far as I'll let myself go. But I'll say it again: I would love a transformational smackdown like PSU in '87.
OK, I'm going to start guarding my optimism again.

Based on the QB injury report, the DB who has to sit out a half, playing in the friendly environs of our Dome and NC St's 2 weeks of Murderer's Row, I'm more guardedly optimistic than I've ever been about this game. That's as far as I'll let myself go. But I'll say it again: I would love a transformational smackdown like PSU in '87.
OK, I'm going to start guarding my optimism again.

I'll just add, let's not count Leary being out as a 100% given.

Im sure he means this. Football is a sport that can humble you real fast. All the things you mentioned is how everyone feels. They still have to do it.

Got it. Dang, talking about weird! That some pretty bewitching stuff right there that you're 'sure' that is what he means. ;)

as vague as we all expected, if I were the staff I would prep for the backup dude just about the entire time, and as I posted already, if Leary tries to play, he is going to be ultra-limited so might as well stack the box with him too, he just isn't as mobile as Chambers, so we wouldn't need to worry about spying him. highly doubt he plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom