Devito senior bowl. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Devito senior bowl.

Devito was what I thought he was, A solid QB , very competent behind good Oline and excellent running game such as Illinois had. When Illini were in desperate situations not the guy I wanted. Had a very good year with Illinois , congrats !

He didn’t work here because he had three guys in his face not even a second before he got the ball in his hands.
I don't think people realize how bad the line was when he was here. I vividly remember going to the 2019 Clemson game and their defense was in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. If you had a stopwatch, you'd clock protection at two seconds or less. Dungey's legs in 2018 covered up how porous they were.

Todd had between the ears what TD lacks. Plus he was 6'4".
And I’m just guessing they measured guys in bare feet back in the day, so - today’s translation Todd would be:

6’5” standing on bath tile with football cleats in, or 6’5 1/2” if he was wearing the old mud cleats.

Attachments

• A707BEA9-9F24-4BF4-A564-6350E51472AD.jpeg
    A707BEA9-9F24-4BF4-A564-6350E51472AD.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 44
I don't think people realize how bad the line was when he was here. I vividly remember going to the 2019 Clemson game and their defense was in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped. If you had a stopwatch, you'd clock protection at two seconds or less. Dungey's legs in 2018 covered up how porous they were.
I remember that game, it was absurd. More absurd was people giving him siht here.

Clemson probably not the best example as they are usually littered on D with high end NFL prospects. The line was not good but I went to many games where Tommy had plenty of time and open receivers. He seemed to always panic and had trouble picking up his 2nd and 3rd options downfield. Hoping he can crack a practice roster but I'm not confident thats going to happen.

And on top of the o line issues he had an awful pocket presence.
Have 3 300lbers knocking you down 20 times a game and see if you don’t fudge your undies. Dude played well in Illinois, he had a trash line, Tom Brady would’ve had trouble. I know it’s cool in Syracuse to trash kids that have success elsewhere but maybe it’s time to realize that we don’t always set up kids for success, in both sports.

I drank with him on spring break in the Bahamas in '89. Nice guy from what I can recall.
Hazy recollections due to the passage of time, right?

Ryan Nassib made it for a few years as a backup.

Tommy doesn’t have the size, strength, or production that Nassib did. They both had good arms and threw a nice ball and had a lot of experience starting in college.

It probably isn’t going to happen.

Ryan was very smart. Think he had like a 3.97 in finance. One B I believe.
Yes, I recalled the same. I’d bring him in to teach him the ropes of corporate finance any day.

Have 3 300lbers knocking you down 20 times a game and see if you don’t fudge your undies. Dude played well in Illinois, he had a trash line, Tom Brady would’ve had trouble. I know it’s cool in Syracuse to trash kids that have success elsewhere but maybe it’s time to realize that we don’t always set up kids for success, in both sports.
Not sure where I trashed the kid but facts are facts. I went to many games where Devito started and had plenty of time to get the ball down field to wide open receivers. He had possibly the worst pocket presence of any DI qb I have seen. He could not check down off his primary. He would often try to rush it because he would crap his pants in the backfield. And you better check his stats as his #s were comparable at Illinois as they were to his 2019 Syracuse campaign.

Totally agree.
IMO, though Philcox was not an overly gifted athlete, he had QB instincts. Tommy doesn't.
philcox also played on a college team that was very good, had alot of talent and was perenially top 10-15 team. he ran the SU offense well and was smart. he really overacheived by making it all those years in NFL - he was oviously adaptable and coachable.

philcox also played on a college team that was very good, had alot of talent and was perenially top 10-15 team. he ran the SU offense well and was smart. he really overacheived by making it all those years in NFL - he was oviously adaptable and coachable.
Although this thread is supposed to be about Tom DeVito and the Senior Bowl, I will say that I thought Todd Philcox had a great NFL career. Nine years with an NFL salary followed by an NFL pension and as a little used backup did not get knocked around and injured as most NFL QB's do. I guess he did suffer a nagging thumb injury in 1992.

The theory was that we'll be going so fast, and the other team will be so tired, that we don't even need to practice blitz pick up. Devito paid a heavy price for that.

He's there. I think he has a shot to be a productive NFL QB. Has the arm for sure. Has gone through some trials and tribulations at the college level.

I think with the right situation and coaching there may be something to unlock there. I mean IMO he was better than Todd Philcox and he was an SU QB who lingered around the NFL for a decade.
In my opinion, Tommy is not in Todd Philcox's league.

That league being the NFL?
Todd was about 6' 4" and probably weighed about 225 pounds. He was a big guy. He also had a great arm and by his senior year, ran the option pretty darn well.

So, from a physical standpoint, I don't think Tommy matches Todd.

I am pretty sure that Todd Philcox played in the NFL for about ten years.

He is one of the most underrated SU football players of all time in my opinion.

Todd was about 6' 4" and probably weighed about 225 pounds. He was a big guy. He also had a great arm and by his senior year, ran the option pretty darn well.

So, from a physical standpoint, I don't think Tommy matches Todd.

I am pretty sure that Todd Philcox played in the NFL for about ten years.

He is one of the most underrated SU football players of all time in my opinion.
He also played with any winning culture environment. It made it easier for him to be honest.

The average size of of a NFL QB is 6'2.5". He is perefctly fine in the size catagory (took a picture with my sone who is 6'2" without shoes and was the same size). Jimmy G is also 6'2" bigger issue is feeling the pocket and being bale to check down. I think he can be a NFL QB in the right system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom