Diagne | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

Mature post.
That they're still in the process in late August of deciding a kid's fate over 1 course from his days in Senegal is not a problem to you? Again, truly unreal

And, anyway, this is really a bigger picture thing. Joyce had a great post in one of the other threads yesterday, and a few others have offered solid posts on it in this thread. How in the hell can a kid who is clearly motivated to be a good student and who wants to better his life in the U.S. and has demonstrated definite college readiness be messed with like this? If you can't see that the NCAA is doing this to Moustapha, and has done it to many others, you are willfully blind.

Every kid that is one course short usually goes to prep school. Many kids go that route. We've had several going all the way back to Moten. Testing in might be another can of worms.
Yeah this cannot be the "whole" story...

So you're saying his HS coach is lying?
I think there could be some cya being done here. It's a bit like interviewing a family member about someone suspected of committing a crime. They're not exactly unbiased? Missing by one class makes no sense from any perspective.

That they're still in the process in late August of deciding a kid's fate over 1 course from his days in Senegal is not a problem to you? Again, truly unreal
If it was 1 course (and they knew about it) why did he go spend the summer in Senegal rather than fixing the issue with a summer course?

If it was 1 course (and they knew about it) why did he go spend the summer in Senegal rather than fixing the issue with a summer course?
Because he was assured the work he did at his American high school was more than sufficient?

Because he was assured the work he did at his American high school was more than sufficient?
Oh come on. This is big time basketball. If there was any question, at all, they could've easily made sure.

Oh come on. This is big time basketball. If there was any question, at all, they could've easily made sure.
Oh come on is right. This kid is clearly a good student fully prepared for the rigors of college coursework, as demonstrated at his high school and with qualifying tests. And is being denied access to college over one class from years ago in another country.

Oh come on is right. This kid is clearly a good student fully prepared for the rigors of college coursework, as demonstrated at his high school and with qualifying tests. And is being denied access to college over one class from years ago in another country.
Says his HS basketball coach...look I know it doesn't fit the anti-NCAA narrative on here. But 1 class from 4 years ago, sounds implausible even by their standard. And SU would have been all over him to get that class done over the summer.

And where was it stated that he received qualifying test scores?

From the NJ Herald article:
Hasson said in July that it was his understanding that Diagne was going to get a waiver for the
class in question.

Hasson did not want to make public the specifics about the class on which the NCAA was ruling, because he says the information has not even been released by Syracuse University.

Says his HS basketball coach...look I know it doesn't fit the anti-NCAA narrative on here. But 1 class from 4 years ago, sounds implausible even by their standard. And SU would have been all over him to get that class done over the summer.

And where was it stated that he received qualifying test scores?
fits your narrative, though, huh?

Our best Orange fan is now reporting Diagne is enrolling into a two year school this fall. The natural question that follows is can Diagne start classes the second semester in January. Or will he be considered a transfer and have to wait a year. Assuming he gets is transcript straighten out with the NCAA it would be great if he could join the team late.

pearl31 said:
fits your narrative, though, huh?
I have no narrative nor agenda (I want diagne here as bad as anyone). I just think that if you think critically about this and don't take everything being said at face value, the stuff coming out of Moose's school makes little sense.

Edit: why are u so mad, bro?

Edit: why are u so mad, bro?
Really? Pointing out the cartel's plain-as-day dicking around of a would-be SU player makes me "mad bro"?
Kudos on your inspired against-the-grain stance

I've witnessed NCAA ineptitude firsthand so maybe that's why I'm just assuming they are fully to blame on dragging their feet here. They're ridiculous. There might be more to the story, but the NCAA sucks out loud.

According to what I read, he had to enroll in a college program by a certain August date this week in order to get his student visa to come back to the US. I am going to guess that he could not go the prep route because why would he get a visa to attend a high school when he already has a high school degree from the US? Thus the 2 year route was the only option open to him. Just a guess.

I thought he went home as one of his parents had passed away this year and some other family issues. I am sure he went believing all to be ok. Either way his student visa would have needed the same renewal process. It did not "expire" because he left the country. It expired because he satisfactorily completed his education program for which it was granted. At least everyone other than the NCAA sees it that way!!!!

According to what I read, he had to enroll in a college program by a certain August date this week in order to get his student visa to come back to the US. I am going to guess that he could not go the prep route because why would he get a visa to attend a high school when he already has a high school degree from the US? Thus the 2 year route was the only option open to him. Just a guess.

I thought he went home as one of his parents had passed away this year and some other family issues. I am sure he went believing all to be ok. Either way his student visa would have needed the same renewal process. It did not "expire" because he left the country. It expired because he satisfactorily completed his education program for which it was granted. At least everyone other than the NCAA sees it that way!!!!

That suggests that he could enroll at SU in January, once he gets that lone course he needs under his belt. Since he's already attained a minimum qualifying score on the sliding scale, he SHOULD be eligible to enroll / play immediately if he bangs out the coursework during the fall 2015 semester.

That would be best case scenario, for him and the program.

Here's hoping that the article is correct about this being predicated upon one course, because that makes for a fairly easy fix.

Why are some of us still giving the NCAA a benefit of the doubt? As someone who has almost ten years of experience climbing the ladder in Corporate America, the NCAA strikes me as an organization that is extremely top heavy with too many overpaid managers and administrators that do no work. Work like this is usually done by someone who is most likely underpaid and overworked.

The NCAA clears athletes for fall sports first. Roberson wasn't cleared until September his freshman year. I would guess that the "case" for Diagne wasnt initially looked at until late causing the flag to come late, and now we sit here.

Why are some of us still giving the NCAA a benefit of the doubt? As someone who has almost ten years of experience climbing the ladder in Corporate America, the NCAA strikes me as an organization that is extremely top heavy with too many overpaid managers and administrators that do no work. Work like this is usually done by someone who is most likely underpaid and overworked.

The NCAA clears athletes for fall sports first. Roberson wasn't cleared until September his freshman year. I would guess that the "case" for Diagne wasnt initially looked at until late causing the flag to come late, and now we sit here.
careful with that agenda, there ;)

While it's certainly possible (likely?) SU was not completely thorough in vetting Diagne's Senegalese coursework, I find it amusing how some in this thread are going to great lengths to not fault the NCAA in this.
As has been posed already...
- How is it that a regular (non-athlete) foreign student can get into any academic program as long as they have the necessary U.S. transcripts and test scores, while an athlete's academic history is (selectively, arbitrarily) scrutinized to a much greater extent?
- How is the NCAA qualified to assess the merits of foreign coursework?
- By all accounts Moustapha was a good student in graduating from a strong academic high school. How is that not enough to qualify academically as an athlete in college?
(Edit) - How is it remotely acceptable for the NCAA to rule on this two weeks before start of semester?

The Devils' Advocate syndrome around here at times is nauseating
The real problem is they can rule on a Foreign High School class, and not on one of their member colleges fake courses.

That suggests that he could enroll at SU in January, once he gets that lone course he needs under his belt. Since he's already attained a minimum qualifying score on the sliding scale, he SHOULD be eligible to enroll / play immediately if he bangs out the coursework during the fall 2015 semester.

That would be best case scenario, for him and the program.

Here's hoping that the article is correct about this being predicated upon one course, because that makes for a fairly easy fix.

You can take summer courses at Junior Colleges, I have in the past, why couldn't he just take that one class over the summer, and then enroll at SU?

Really? Pointing out the cartel's plain-as-day dicking around of a would-be SU player makes me "mad bro"?
Kudos on your inspired against-the-grain stance
More the tone of your posts. You seem really upset by this.

At the end of the day this could all be the NCAAs fault. Maybe it's purely a grudge. I'm just saying that I wouldn't bet on that purely because his coach said it.

If this is the NCAA still taking jabs at us its a low blow. Punish the school not the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom